I just ordered my first decent flashlight

ephemere

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking here for a couple weeks to shop for my first (but not last) "real" flashlight. After considering many options, I decided on.... a red Preon Kit!

As tempting as CR123/18650 lights are, I decided to stick with AA/AAA. I am a creature of convenience. Other lights I considered include:
  • IlluminaTi
  • Quark Mini AA (cool/warm)
  • Jetbeam Jet-I Pro v3.0 (cool/warm)
  • Dereelight Javelin
  • Romisen RC-N3 II (warm)
I predict I'm going to be a "warm tint" guy, but I'd like to try a cool tint first to test that theory. I picked the Preon because of its size and appearance, the flexibility to use 2xAAA and a clicky, the fact that I can buy a 2nd head (maybe warm tint if it becomes available) to turn the kit into two lights, and the user reviews and general reputation of 4sevens.

I have several uses for lights:
  • An EDC for my walk home from work through a dark park. If the light is not tiny I'll leave it at home.
  • One light per car for general use on the road and while traveling.
  • A more powerful light for around the house and yard.
I'm sure I'll try some of the other lights listed above once I get some experience with the Preon.

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
:welcome:
Congratulations, I know you'll be tempted buy the higher power lights and longer runtimes soon enough. So just keep making good purchases and have fun.

SigOp

Newly Enlightened
come to the 18650 side, we have cookies :twothumbs

The Preon kit is pretty good for lots of reasons, many you have listed. Just be careful poking around here, before you know it you'll be saying...just one more :crackup:. I've said that at least 3 times so far :naughty:

Phil.

EditL Well my Preon kit is somewhere in the black hole that is the post office during the holidays. I'm a sucker for black even though the blue and red look so nice, must resist the urge to....ARGH!!!

Last edited:

slayergut

Newly Enlightened
come to the 18650 side, we have cookies :twothumbs

The Preon kit is pretty good for lots of reasons, many you have listed. Just be careful poking around here, before you know it you'll be saying...just one more :crackup:. I've said that at least 3 times so far :naughty:

Phil.
So have you ordered your preon yet,sir?:devil:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Same thing happened to me after lurking around this crazy place :grin2: I ordered an M30 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! Light years ahead of the flashlights I was buying at Sam's club. The Preon does look nice, I might need to get one of those soon too.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Welcome to the wonderful world of flashlights. Just a few suggestions regarding batteries. If you use AA or AAA's invest in NIMH rechargeables and only buy "precharged" or "hybrid" they will hold their charge much longer than regular NIMH. Chances are you will be tempted to buy a flashlight which requires RCR123A's or 18650's, when(not if) you do purchase the batteries and charger, number the batteries and rotate them. Lithium ion batteries are amazing and so are the flashlights they power.:devil:

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
Good choice on the color, sir.

I love my red preon. I haven't seen the other colors personally, but am super satisfied with this color! :thumbsup:

ephemere

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments. Very welcoming group of folks here.

One of the reasons I picked the red color on the Preon was so I can find it when I need it. I'm always saying to myself, "where did I leave that flashlight?"

I do think it's just a matter of time before I experiment with lithium rechargeables. I used to play with electrical stuff as a kid so I'm kind of curious. And... I like cookies.

It's funny -- today I was tempted to place an order for a Javelin, and I started looking at P60 plugins. And I haven't even gotten the Preon in my hands, yet. Ah well....

Thanks for the expert advice -- much appreciated!

Jay611j

Enlightened
Thanks for all the comments. Very welcoming group of folks here.

One of the reasons I picked the red color on the Preon was so I can find it when I need it. I'm always saying to myself, "where did I leave that flashlight?"

I do think it's just a matter of time before I experiment with lithium rechargeables. I used to play with electrical stuff as a kid so I'm kind of curious. And... I like cookies.

It's funny -- today I was tempted to place an order for a Javelin, and I started looking at P60 plugins. And I haven't even gotten the Preon in my hands, yet. Ah well....

Thanks for the expert advice -- much appreciated!

Oh no, it's starting. Watch your wallet! :devil:

da.gee

Enlightened

It's over. Set up PayPal now. :crackup: