SureFire Z2 Combat Light modded with LED's

MRupp

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

I have been lurking in the shadows here for a while now. Searched until my eyes hurt and I even fell asleep in my computer chair once. I know :poke:

.. I am looking to see if anyone has changed/modded their SureFire Z2 Combat Light from a halogen bulb to the LED(s). I have three of these Z2's from work so I was thinking of modding one of them to see how much brighter the LED's would be. I couldn't find anything in the 17 pages I just searched nor could I find any relevant information on the web.

Anyone with any experience please shed some light here. :D

I dont mind making a circuit board with LED's and resistors if Need be. I would like to make the flashlight have around 6 x 3mm White LED's or like 3-4 x 5mm LED's.

What would be involved in converting this?

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M60 drop-in module. Do a forum search. You will be extremely hard-pressed to hear anything bad about them. The proprietor, Gene Malkoff, frequents the boards here. His handle is Gene 43.

I have an M60W (warm tint, vs. the more standard blue-ish tint) in my Z2, and I totally love it. The things aren't cheap, but they're extremely durable, and Gene stands behind his products 110%. Search it, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

www.malkoffdevices.com

Paladin

Enlightened
If you favor run time over lumens a 3rd gen. KL3 is an option for led-ing a Z2. Of course in the last 3 years many other options have come into use, but I'm leaving mine alone.

Paladin
Captured_2006-12-27_00003.jpg

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M60 drop-in module. Do a forum search. You will be extremely hard-pressed to hear anything bad about them. The proprietor, Gene Malkoff, frequents the boards here. His handle is Gene 43.

I have an M60W (warm tint, vs. the more standard blue-ish tint) in my Z2, and I totally love it. The things aren't cheap, but they're extremely durable, and Gene stands behind his products 110%. Search it, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

www.malkoffdevices.com

I agree ^ Can't go wrong with a M60!

Here's some more reading for you:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217252

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm carrying a Z2 in my jacket, with a Malkoff M60L. The runtime is over 4 hours (over twice what it is for an M60) on a fresh pair of CR123A's, and an honest 140 lumens out-the-front is enough for me most of the time. I also have an M60 in a VME head (with a mineral glass mini-maglite replacement lens protecting the M60) on an E2D body added to a JS Burley's single-cell e-series-compatible extension tube. It's a bit fugly, but weighs less than a 9P or C3.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
A malkoff.

There's a variety to chose from, depending on whether you want brightness or longer run time, but all are a big improvement over the p60 in terms of both.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind the question - dude, where do you work that can let you end up with three Z2s?

And more importantly, are they hiring? :naughty:

Seriously though, there are a lot of P60-compatible LED modules. One of the best ones you can get is a Malkoff, but if you want to test the waters a little bit first, you can always try a cheaper, less "almost bomb-proof" design.

But you will love the LED upgrade to your equipment and then you'll end up spending the money on a Malkoff upgrade anyway, so it's really up to you if you want to spend the money now or later. :D

-Trevor

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the P60 compatible modules thread already got pointed out. Malkoff modules have been recommended repeatedly. Those are as simple as what you already do changing the stock P60 lamp assembly. There are a number of threads on rolling your own module, with your own choice of emitter and driver. In the custom buy/sell trade subforum is a thread for Nailbender's modules with a number of choices in emitter and driver available as well.

When you get done exploring all that and find your module(s) you can explore making a battery vampire module for a one cell, direct drive, low light option. Just use one of your old P60 modules, a dummy cell, and the low power LED of your choice and you are in business for one of your Z2's.

I sense a couple more nights falling asleep in the computer chair coming on. :whistle:

:welcome:

MRupp

Newly Enlightened
When you get done exploring all that and find your module(s) you can explore making a battery vampire module for a one cell, direct drive, low light option. Just use one of your old P60 modules, a dummy cell, and the low power LED of your choice and you are in business for one of your Z2's.

I sense a couple more nights falling asleep in the computer chair coming on. :whistle:

This is what I am looking for. I can make a circuit board that can house probably 5 or 6 LED's (5mm) and maybe more with the 3mm LED's. We just got about 20 inches of snow here so I might stay in today and make a prototype and test it out.

Ill keep you updated.

The drop in things are a little expensive. I feel like I can make something that will be just as reliable and less expensive that could probably be much brighter.

I am going to make up a circuit now and test it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think five 5mm LED's will be bright or more reliable than a Malkoff...

This is the Malkoff M30 in action, second image is a Surefire P60L, the third a Surefire P60
M30.jpg

Surefire6PL-1.jpg

SurefireM2.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Rolling your own drop-in out of a bunch of 3mm sounds fun but uh, it won't really WoW you any. I suppose you could mix colors and have a really nice flood.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
The drop in things are a little expensive. I feel like I can make something that will be just as reliable and less expensive that could probably be much brighter.
All things considered when it comes to 5mm LEDs - Unlikely, certainly and not a chance.

Nothing wrong with making your own kit, but don't expect a silk purse from a sows ear.

There's a reason Malkoffs are expensive.

If you want something cheap or even DIY, I suggest you take a look around:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917

There's a good selection of ready made drop ins, but also in the DIY section linked to above, there's components - emitters, housings, driver circuits etc.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting an LED showerhead configuration into a Surefire Z2 combatlight? What an ABOMINATION of nature!!! :twak:

If you want a multi-LED (showerhead) flashlight head down to your local dollar store, cheapest I've seen here is $4.00 AUD I'm sure you could do better considering the strength of the greenback at the moment (compared to other currencies), then you could tinker to your hearts content without defiling a Surefire flashlight, the P60 battery vampire route (already suggested) provides exceptional runtime with sufficient light to navigate by in the dark :thumbsup:

BTW welcome to the forums! :D

Last edited: