Deanodizing Mag/Type II ano parts

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
1. Acquire drain cleaner that contains "sodium hydroxide" or "lye". This is present in most cheaper kinds. Don't get one that has enzymes or other crap in it.

2. Get a plastic cup you can throw away, RUBBER gloves, and safety goggles to prevent chemical burns.

3. A) Place enough drain cleaner, UNDILUTED, in the cup to cover the surface of the part you're deanodizing. This takes less time, and is WAY more aggressive than Solution B. I used this on my tailcap.
B) As suggested below, dilute your drain cleaner 1/20 and increase your time by a mutiple of 20. It will reduce the chance of corroding your aluminum.

4. Then, place the part you wish to deanodize. MAKE SURE ANY RUBBER SEALS ARE TAKEN OFF, including orings. It should be clean, also. Lye doesn't eat dirt, it eats aluminum and heats up too.

5. Check on it periodically with metal forceps or something to grab it with.

6. After a few minutes, the anodizing should be soft and you can wipe it away with your gloves or if it's still tough, use steel wool to scrub the anodizing off.

7. Rinse thoroughly with water for at least a minute or so.

8. You may remove your gloves and dry the part off.

It's not hard and complicated. I used this process to deanodize my Mag tailcap, so it's electrically conductive in the whole cap.

Finshed result: (threads are ugly, but I don't mind. not showing)

It used to be black. Color of the anodizing that rubbed off was actually not surprisingly purple. Now, just to find a red Mag head for my Mag85.
I'd say this probably decreased resistance too, and gave me a few more lumens. I roughened up the flat surface with 330 grit sandpaper to cover up a few marks, and it gave it some character.

Last edited:

The Dane

Enlightened
3. Place enough drain cleaner, UNDILUTED, in the cup to cover the surface of the part you're deanodizing.

Please dilute 1/20-1/100 and let the stripping proces take @20min. That way you'll avoid corroding of the alu, but still get 100% anod stripping.

PS I have some parts stripped 10 times due to faulty coloring and they're still as good as new!

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you can use this method to deanodize a Surefire/HAIII body/parts.
I don't see why it wouldn't work, although it would be a shame to ruin a type III coating. A Type III coating is the same thing as a type II coating; it is just significantly thicker. NaOH should remove it, but it will take longer.

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened
Exactly why I said it. Type II is mostly ugly anyway, and it has too much resistance to make any good for a 200w light i'm building.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly why I said it. Type II is mostly ugly anyway, and it has too much resistance to make any good for a 200w light i'm building.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean. The coating is on the outside of the light and tailcap, so it shouldn't affect the resistance at all. I could see that there might be a little more resistance with anodized threads vs non anodized threads, since the threads would increase the surface area of electrical contact. However, the un-anodized end of a maglite tube probably has enough area so that it will not cause any significant increase in resistance.

Latest posts