To bore or not to bore?

prof student

Enlightened
Question about boring....Thinking about going to rechargeable AW 18650. The 2 flashlights I have are a Surefire G2 & Streamlight T2.

Can both of these bodies be bored out to accomodate 18650 batteries?

The body for the Streamlight TL2 feels thinner than a 6P, but don't have anything to measure the current thickness, how much after it would be bored, etc...

As for the Surefire, in CPF Marketplace, I don't think I have ever seen anyone sell a bored G2. I have seen plent of 6Ps, but never a G2.

flip

Enlightened
The G2 has a thin metal liner inside of the plastic body. From what I have read here, there isn't enough metal to bore. Have you considered 17670 batteries? Or, Solarforce has inexpensive 18650 bodies that you could swap with your G2 body.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Although I do like the SureFire G-series, an aluminum SureFire (like the 6P) is a very fine light and a great candidate for boring, and would provide many years of service with the 18650.

A G2 with a 17670 is also very good configuration and nothing to sneeze at. I run my G3 with 17mm cells and am very happy with it - however there are a number of advantages with running a single large cell in the shorter G2 as you are probably aware - longer runtimes with gradually-declining output, increased safety, decreased cost, increased simplicity & reliability.

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
What about a body on a Z2? Never seen one in person, but could that be bored like a 6P?

Nobody has chimmed in on the Streamlight T2.....anyone??

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, I don't think that I could watch a lathe get close to such a nice light as a Surefire! That sort of cosmetic surgery is fine for a cheap Maglite, but not a Surefire. I don't have the stomach to watch that operation.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ugh, I don't think that I could watch a lathe get close to such a nice light as a Surefire! That sort of cosmetic surgery is fine for a cheap Maglite, but not a Surefire. I don't have the stomach to watch that operation.

Depends on the competence of the machinist. Some VERY experienced members in the MMM sub forum... nothing to worry about. Modoo did my 6P and I am happy with the result, and FWIW, I was one of the members who was initially very skeptical about doing this mod in the first place.

OP... I don't think the G2/Z2 inner sleeve is thick enough to be bored and re-inserted back into the body.

Lighthound sells solar L2 18650 bodies separately. Its my opinion that the knurl quality and feel on the solar-L2 bodies is better quality than that of a surefire 6P. So in some ways, you come out ahead.:duck::aaa:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have thoroughly tested a Moddoo bored Z2 and found it to be very tough. It's walls are not too thin after boring. If I haven't broken it in testing you certainly won't break it during regular flashlight use I assure you.

Have no fears! :D

prof student

Enlightened
Oh, I trust you Sgt! I have read plenty of your posts! lol...

Well, I do have a 6P body that was borred by MODDOO. But the body color has a purplish tint. Hard to find a tail cap (clicky) & bezel to match it. All I see are black ones.

So, I have a G2 with an aluminum bezel (?) I think it came off a G2L.
Then I also have a Streamlight TL2.

I am kind of nit picky, so I would like the colors to match somewhat, or else I would be using the bored purple 6P already, lol.

There is a Z2 in CPFM for $35. So, I was thinking that would be cheaper than buying a bezel AND tailcap for the 6P. But then also was thinking what about just boring the G2 OR the Streamlight TL2 that I already have to accomodate some 18650s??

Sgt, any experience with boring a Streamlight TL2 or Surefire G2?

Last edited: