Upgrading the E01, need recommendations

I really have the bug to get something more powerful on my keychain. I was going to fill out the recommendation checklist but I thought I could be a lot more specific just listing below what I'm looking for. I hope it's specific enough because I know it gets under people's skin when details aren't provided:cool:.

Thanks in advance for the helplovecpf.

Requirements:
  • 1 X AAA
  • LED
  • Twisty switch
  • minimum 50ish lumens on high (no 5mm Nichia style)
  • at least 2 modes, like low and high so I can choose between runtime and brightness
  • Absolutely robust keyring hole/attachment; this will be on my keys everywhere I go
  • Well Regulated
  • <$60
  • Dependable parts and circuitry
  • Measurable water resistance
  • Nothing that requires any modifications to meet any of the other requirements. It must meet the requirements (and ideally the "nice to haves")out of the box (read: I don't have the skills to mod).
Nice to Haves (ranked in highest to lowest in preference)
  • Beacon mode
  • Prefer olive drab/natural HAIII, followed by Stainless/Titanium as a close second. black is also completely acceptable just not the preferred.
  • Looks: I think the LD01 is the most attractive in this range of criteria, so having it styled like that can't hurt.
  • Tail stand (which I think would mean having the ring hole at the corner like the E01)
  • moon mode
  • pure white tint
Not needed / don't care
  • pocket clip
  • SOS
For what it's worth, here were some of my initial thoughts. I'd like to jump all over the LD01, but I don't think it has beacon. I've looked at the Preon 1, but I'm worried about the robustness of the keyring adapter thing. Also have heard concerns about the durability of the keyring hole on the Maratac. I know there's a lot out there meeting the requirements, but I don't yet know of anything that also adds the beacon and other nice to haves. Please help.

dougmwpsu

Newly Enlightened
ITP AAA EOS. It's the same internals as the Maratac, but has a much stronger keychain attachment point. Available in natural Al and Ti. Only things it lacks that you seem to be looking for is a bacon mode and tailstand. Did I mention it's very inexpensive?

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
mmmmm..... bacon mode..... :drool:

;)

I'm with dougmwpsu. It's going to be difficult to meet all of your requirements, but the ITP EOS comes very close and it's a great light for the price.
+1 The ITP/Maratac AAA is super for the price.

I would like a light with bacon mode right about now too! Sounds delicious.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Preon just had a solid keyring hole I'd be 100% sold on it. I can keep dreaming I guess.

Are there any downsides to the ITP I should be aware of?

I have heard some ppl say theyve gotten bad ones. Not a lot of people, but still go with a reliable vendor.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I'm giving (14) of the ITP AAA EOS, in natural Al, as Christmas gifts this year. I carry one on my keychain every day. It is an incredibly flashlight, at a great price.

Frank

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
well, for keyring use i go for the fenix ld01 in stainless steel.
i got the itp, iluminatti, liteflux lf2xt (which is my favourite aaa flashlight), a fenix e01 and ld01
last one has the most robust atachment of all

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was already leaning toward the LD01, and I just found where I can get it in olive, so I think I'm sold. It's going to be a last minute addition to my Christmas list, and then hopefully will get it shortly after the new year if I don't already have it.

Just have to add one thing, some of you may recall recently my wife buying me the TK40 for Christmas and commented just how wonderful a spouse I have. Well, it gets better. Last night I mentioned to her there were some flashlights I liked that were "this size" pointing to my E01 that were "nearly" as bring as my L2D which she is familiar with (roughly speaking of course). She says with slight eye roll "how much are THOSE?" After I casually mention about $50, she responds, "That's not bad". SCORE!!

shark_za

Enlightened
Just make sure you get the iTP A3 EOS "upgraded" model.
The "standard" model is single mode.

The only bad I can really scrape of the bottom of the barrel is the PWM can be seen when shining on a fan or shaking it around.
In normal use its invisible.