Malkoff Questions

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Hello eveyyone...im looking to be making some malkoff purchases pretty soon and I have some questions:

1. Does a md3 body with a md2 and a m60 running on 18500 sound like a good idea(also looking to be able to run primaries)? Also would the m30 be a better choice because it is on lithiums most of the time?

2. Have the malkoff maglite dropins been discountinued? I read earlier today in another thread and someone posted that you cant find them because it seems they have been discontinued. Link: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/251806 post #16

Is this true?

Thanks!

dirtech

Enlightened
Hello eveyyone...im looking to be making some malkoff purchases pretty soon and I have some questions:

1. Does a md3 body with a md2 and a m60 running on 18500 sound like a good idea(also looking to be able to run primaries)? Also would the m30 be a better choice because it is on lithiums most of the time?

2. Have the malkoff maglite dropins been discountinued? I read earlier today in another thread and someone posted that you cant find them because it seems they have been discontinued. Link: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/251806 post #16

Is this true?

Thanks!

M60 if you also want to run primaries. The M30 is ideal for an 18650 but will shut off without dimming, whereas the M60 will give you regulated output for awhile and then gradually dim over a much longer time with an 18650 as well as run primaries without overloading the circuitry. The M60 with RCR123s with exhibit the same behavior as the M30 on a 18650. That is, it will shut off without warning when the batteries voltage drop below a certain voltage. For those reasons I find the m60 the most versatile. Others opinions vary.

I seriously doubt the Malkoff mag drop ins have been discontinued. I believe they were just upgraded recently to XPG.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
M60 if you also want to run primaries. The M30 is ideal for an 18650 but will shut off without dimming, whereas the M60 will give you regulated output for awhile and then gradually dim over a much longer time with an 18650 as well as run primaries without overloading the circuitry. The M60 with RCR123s with exhibit the same behavior as the M30 on a 18650. That is, it will shut off without warning when the batteries voltage drop below a certain voltage. For those reasons I find the m60 the most versatile. Others opinions vary.

I seriously doubt the Malkoff mag drop ins have been discontinued. I believe they were just upgraded recently to XPG.

Also just for clarification, the M30 voltage range is designed primarily for single cell usage and would not work with more than 1 cr/rcr123 or 18650, 17670, or 18500s cells. So if you running two cells you would have to run the M60 from malkoff's line.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MD3 body with an M60 would work fine with either 3 CR123 cells or 2 18500 cells, and it should be regulated with either combination (because the Vf of the LED is way below what 3 CR123s or 2 18500s will provide, even when partially discharged).

I see no reason why the Maglite dropins would be discontinued. It is more than likely that the person who made the comment simply hasn't happened to be on the site when they were in stock; they are very popular and tend to not stay in stock very long.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
Please excuse what might be simple questions, but I am still learning.

Is the M60 on a single 18650 as bright as an M30 on a single 18650?

With the M60 is it always the same brightness from 3.8 to 9 volts?

NOTE: I have an MD2 with M60 that I run off a 18650 or a pair of CR123. I think I can tell a difference with the 18650, but it might be just mental....most people say I am mental....

Martin D. White

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Please excuse what might be simple questions, but I am still learning.

Is the M60 on a single 18650 as bright as an M30 on a single 18650?

With the M60 is it always the same brightness from 3.8 to 9 volts?

NOTE: I have an MD2 with M60 that I run off a 18650 or a pair of CR123. I think I can tell a difference with the 18650, but it might be just mental....most people say I am mental....

Martin D. White

As a new person to the forum here a couple of really good links to threads that might answer oncoming questions you might be formulating in your head already:whistle:

Malkoff M60 & M30 Runtimes,etc

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/227576Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely
Which brings me to the above link which is really important if you decide to pursue using li-ion rechargeables for any flashlight.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
An option using the three cell tube and the M30 is using two NiMh AA's, which will give you about 60% of the output compared to one LiIon. Wrap the tube with a roll or so of stiff paper to fit the AA's. I do this ever so often with my M30.

Bill

tundratrader

Enlightened
To the regular person eye the m30 and m60 are equal. The MD3 tube will work perfect with any of the m60 family dropins. You will get a good couple hours runtime on 2 18500 or primaries. M30's are made for 1 cell, either primary or recharge and have about 1.25 hours runtime. I think the M60 is the best bet because of versatility you can stick just about any combo of batteries into it and it will work perfect.
Zach

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Everyone!!!

You have really helped clear up my confusion. I really enjoyed reading the links provided too. Thanks

lovecpf