Can anyone identify this B&D Bench Grinder?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
DSCN0351.jpg

Black & Decker inside a winged emblem.

All I can get off it is a few things like some report done Sept. 5 193x

6" size and 4A FLA. 3000/3600 rpm.

You can just tell it was made back when stuff was MADE! It is a heavy thing!I may use it to run Paper Wheels for knife sharpening.

Unless someone says it's worth something then all bets are off!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have a hard time finding a model number unless someone has an original catalog. Try over on OWWM.org for that.

Other than that, it's old and solid. Missing the toolrest. Probably 1/3HP. I don't think one of their more expensive models.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth more as a knife sharpener. I'd think about repainting it (after dressing or replacing the wheels).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Aunt said she used it on axes, machetes and the like. It has a vibration when it runs making me think a wheel is out or round/balance.

If 8" will clear, a set of 8" paper wheels is on the horizon somewhere...

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until you find out if it has any value, don't clean it up or do anything to destroy the patina. I've seen muskets go from priceless antiques to garage sale trinkets because of an enthusiastic owner with a wire brush and a can of lacquer.

Failing that, it looks like a good solid tool, and another toolrest wouldn't be hard to fab up.

Edit: If you're gonna keep it for use, you might see about greasing the bearings, looks like they've been leaking. At that age, being built to last and built to be repaired instead of thrown away and replaced, it wouldn't surprise me if they're a standard bearing that any bearing house would have on the shelf, or at least be able to match.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Some sort of thrust washer/bearing is called for for sure.

I probably won't do anything to the outside and I don't think I'll require a tool rest for knife sharpening. I have a LOT of junk to practice on!