Help me find portable light with lots of flood for 100x100ft land

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
I want a portable light that gives lots of flood for a land I have. Need at least 30 minutes of battery power and rechargeable if possible or powered by ac/dc from a car. Don't want it to be blinding but more like a portable light that gives street light illumination. Is there anything that can do this? Don't really want it to be a flashlight (more like a flood light/work light) that runs of a car capable of giving lots of flood.

Thanks in advance.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hmm sounds like you need a big area flood light. Humvee is a brand name for outdoor gear/equipment that I generally try and avoid due to the marketing hype and associated price increase. But in this case they have a 12V SLA spotlight, but with a diffuser lens over the front to flood the output. That might work for you.

Additionally some of the smaller reflector HID and Halogen spotlights will pump out ~1500 Lumens, with a good deal of flood and a nice intense hot spot.

I still get kicks and giggles from my old coleman halogen spotlight. Its a 100 watt H1 bulb ($10 Kragen), direct drive off any 12V source. It has a lot of side flood, plated metal /reflector and glass front lens. Someone commented that its about 1300 Lumens. Its my brightest light easily lighting up 2 football fields.

dscn5904j.jpg

jankj

Enlightened
100 feet is not far at all by modern flashlight standards, but 100'x100' is still some area to light up. Are you willing to consider a home-brewed solution?

You could wire several flashlights in parallel for 12v power source. If you wire four of 3V (1*CR123A battery or 2*AA battery) flashlights in series you need 12v to run them. Or use eight single AA strong flashlights. Mount the flashlight to a pole or whatever fits your needs, aim them so the whole area is covered. Aiming some "thrower" kind flashlights along the edge of your field should give you pretty decent coverage all over the field.

You don't even have to re-wire the flashlight, running them with batteries as manufacture intended will give you anything from typically 45 minutes to 1.5-2 hours, depending on model. Of course you would need to recharge a lot of batteries after your half-hour event is over.

DM51

Flashaholic
Do you need it lit the whole night long, or just when you occasionally go there? Is it a long way from the nearest mains electricity supply?

jackbauer

Newly Enlightened
I need it to last at least 30-35min.

Where can I buy diffusers (I have a police spotlight thats very bright and can do the job but its too bright when you look directly at it.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about using a cfl work light running off of an inverter? You said you could power it with your car. This one uses only 27 watts so even accounting for inverter inefficiency you'd probably have at least 3-4 hours of running time from a decent car battery. It should put out about 1600 lumens which you would be hard pressed to get an led to put out that much without going into some really pricey exotic leds like an sst-90

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/503592.html