Save money, Live better. Is there anything Wal-Mart doesnt sell?

nbp

Flashaholic
They may sell everything, but I still try not to shop there if at all possible. I feel all icky any time I pull in the parking lot. :sigh:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Walmart is the American dream. Too bad so many love to hate them, since no one forces anyone to work or shop there. Never mind they are the largest retail grocery & employer in the USA with 1.1 million employees.

Do a google search on "cost of caskets" to see the endless list of discount sellers. Cremation is the way to go.

oronocova

Enlightened
I wonder what they would do if you bought one and took it back into the store to return it. I'd like to see the people's faces.

"Nope, nothing wrong with it. I just didn't need it." Hard to argue with that excuse. Or you might get even wierder looks if you said something like "No, nothing wrong with it. It just didn't fit."

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I wonder what they would do if you bought one and took it back into the store to return it. I'd like to see the people's faces.

"Nope, nothing wrong with it. I just didn't need it." Hard to argue with that excuse. Or you might get even wierder looks if you said something like "No, nothing wrong with it. It just didn't fit."

"Due to the personal nature of this item, all sales are final." :)

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Walmart is the American dream. Too bad so many love to hate them, since no one forces anyone to work or shop there. Never mind they are the largest retail grocery & employer in the USA with 1.1 million employees.

I think the reason why some people hate walmart is that they "kill" small retailers, esp mom&pop's store. But imagine what will happen if walmart closes all its shops.

Do a google search on "cost of caskets" to see the endless list of discount sellers. Cremation is the way to go.

Even with cremation, you still need a casket for the funeral. :D

I haven't seen them sell a cadaver yet. Maybe in the future ;)

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Why would you need a casket ? You just put the ashes up on the counter in an urn and hope nobody knocks it over.

Cremation replaces burial, the last "destination" of the body. You either cremate or bury the body after the funeral.

jslappa

Enlightened
With a family of 4 (with # 5 on the way), I am not ashamed to say we shop for our groceries at our local SuperWalMart. I'd love to shop at our family-owned grocery store, but when a gallon of milk is $3.65 there versus $1.70 last week at Wally World, I've gotta go to WallyWorld. I know that the bulk of my money doesn't stay in town, but they employ a bunch of people who do live locally.

It's no different than when we were kids in highschool (oops, some of you still are in high school) my bad! Anyway, you'd get teased for being caught at WalMart by some friends, not realizing that if you were caught there, guess what.....so was the person who caught you! As long as i can same about 40% on my grocery bills, I'll continue to shop there every single time.

To stay on topic, WalMart also operates Sam's Club, as many of you know. I received an advertisement from Sam's Club (we are members) where they were selling a super-yaight on the back cover for millions of dollars.

So, my response to this thread and the question it posed is.....No, there is nothing Walmart doesnt/won't sell!

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many years ago, in my small suburb town, we had three grocery stores to choose from. Two ma & pops and a Krogers. Krogers is the only one left and it is now the larger version. They are the only major retailer around. I have to drive 5+ miles over to the surrounding burbs to visit a WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards... The big boxes have sure kicked ma&pop to the curb.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
HEY do they have the KISS casket?
yellowlaugh.gif

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Many years ago, in my small suburb town, we had three grocery stores to choose from. Two ma & pops and a Krogers. Krogers is the only one left and it is now the larger version. They are the only major retailer around. I have to drive 5+ miles over to the surrounding burbs to visit a WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards... The big boxes have sure kicked ma&pop to the curb.

Well that's true that they kicked small stores to the curb, but that was in the process of happening irrespective of Sam Walmart. He just did it better than anyone else. The process of cost saving pre-empting service began long ago.

oronocova

Enlightened
"Due to the personal nature of this item, all sales are final." :)

Man they talk all the fun out of it. From some of the things that you see or hear about getting returned I think I could get "my" Walmart to take it back LOL.

As far as my take on WalMart ... I like being able to get so much in one place and at usually a lower price than anywhere else. However I don't like that they push out the Mom and Pops operations. Most of all however, I can not stand the crowds anymore... and at all hours of the day. It's insane, I usually go in and out of the lawn/garden and sometimes the Tire/Lube entrances.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Agreed. The poor service/less-than-knowledgeable staff, huge crowds, and often crummy quality of the products is generally enough to keep me shopping at other stores.

Couple that with some of the stories I've heard about their business practices, and I'd just rather go somewhere else. (The company I work for has a customer that sells a lot of product to Wal-mart, and I know that their huge buying power allows them to do some things to their suppliers I don't personally agree with.)

And contrary to popular belief, if you are a smart consumer, and you shop sales and use coupons, you can generally shop elsewhere without spending much more than you would at W@lmart, and get a better shopping experience too.

I am impressed by the variety of stuff they manage to carry though...caskets? Really?

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Why would you need a casket ? You just put the ashes up on the counter in an urn and hope nobody knocks it over.

The feds have really cracked down on funeral parlor abuses, but you need to know your rights.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/products/pro26.shtm

No state or local law requires the use of a casket for cremation. A funeral home that offers cremations must tell you that alternative containers are available, and must make them available. They might be made of unfinished wood, pressed wood, fiberboard, or cardboard.

After cremation, please be sure to place at least one flashlight with more than 100 lumens in the urn with my remains.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Walmart gets a lot of my business because:

1) They're open 24/7.

2) No :scowl: "discount":xyxgun::xyxgun::xyxgun: card where they jack the price up unless you let them collect data on your shopping habits and sell the info.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
After cremation, please be sure to place at least one flashlight with more than 100 lumens in the urn with my remains.
Better specify what batteries, don't want alkalines leaking all over you, do ya? :nana:

Last edited: