When Good Projects Go Bad

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Woke up super early this morning so I decided to go and finish working on a custom flashlight project Im doing for a fellow CPF member. Knowing that I don't function correctly without my morning coffee I decide to go without it primarily because Im too lazy and don't want to clean out the coffee pot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OK, so Im ready to start working on the head part of the flashlight when I notice a very very small imperfection, so I decide to rechuck the body by the threaded end "something I never ever do". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif I now turn on the lathe and don't notice the auto feed lever engaged (should have made that darn coffee) well I turn around for a quick second and BAM! the carriage runs into the work peice and totally ruins it. Bummer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

fbcd0c2c.jpg

fbcd0c23.jpg

O'well, stuff happens. Lesson learned - don't be lazy, clean the coffee pot, have your coffee and then go to work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Joe400

Don't you just hate that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I can relate to that, I have a box full of those 'not so perfect' mods. Trouble is, the box keeps getting bigger...

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Otokoyama - Im using a custom thread cutting tool that I made/ground from a HSS tool blank.

FalconFX - Its prabably salvageable but there isnt enough material to recut the outside threads. I guess I could part that peice off and make some inner threads on the body and redo the tail cap with the outer threads.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I hate when that happens. Seems I'm always getting into the 5 minute "easy" projects. Then they turn into 5 hour pain and frustration sessions.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I could part that peice off and make some inner threads on the body and redo the tail cap with the outer threads.
------------------------

...Or you could probably just smooth out the threads again, and just leave the dent as a little rivet. I'd figure the remaining thread rings should still grip well, even with that part missing...

Just floating a thought...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Joe,

Sometimes I think it's something in the air? I was putting the final touches on a proto PM6 tail cap yesterday; longitudinal milled flutes. The cap was threaded onto a fixture being held in a collet on a rotary table. I was milling the final flute when the end mill decided to try to unscrew the part instead of cut it. Chewed it up real nice. From a finished part to four hours of "practice" in 5 seconds. Murphy claims his share; count on it!

- Don

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I feel your pain, Joe. Generally when I do something like this, I run right out and shoot myself in the other foot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Dan

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i thought i was alone!

it's so nice to hear that other people ruin things also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
really bad luck joe400. yep, get that caffeine into ya first before you start any machinery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
And always remember to be real careful when you only have 1 of a difficult-to-replace part. (expensive, mail-order, custom, etc) I've killed more LS's doing stupid things than I currently own. As Homer Simpson put it- Doh!