How to fix this Arc AAA

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, so i have a fairly new (1 yr old or so) Arc AAA-P GS that for past half a year or so has been turning on only intermittently. It turns on and operates just fine but it seems that whenever i turn off the light by twisting the head very slowly, it won't turn back on until i unscrew the head and back. Its even worse now, that sometimes even unscrewing the head and back won't do anything. I've looked through a few threads about Arc-AAA maintenance. I've cleaned all contact points and threads, i've cleaned the pcb board / crimp area with alcohol. I've also cleaned the potting compound from the crimp area. Please note, that Peter Gransee has already graciously sent me a replacement Arc-AAA but i wish to try and save this one as it is the original Natural-HA color. They only offer the Black-HA anymore. Thanks in advance!

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought Arc had gone back to natural HA color. I actually wanted a black one but missed my chance to buy one.

Lumenz

Enlightened
There are a couple things you can try:

You already mentioned cleaning the contacts with alcohol, but have you tried using DeOxit? I once had a problem with my Firefli working only intermittently. I had cleaned it (and the batteries) with alcohol to no avail. I then got some DeOxit, cleaned it and now it works perfectly every time.

This may seem like a stupid suggestion, but have you tried changing the battery? The Arc AAA has a tendency to dimple the bottom of batteries so you might not be getting a very good connection anymore. I actually put a small rubber washer at the bottom of my Arc to keep the Arc from damaging the battery, but is still able to make contact with the blob at the bottom.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought Arc had gone back to natural HA color. I actually wanted a black one but missed my chance to buy one.

I thought they had gone back to Natual HA as well?

The Arc website shows the Arc AAA in Natual color.

It is such a classic color for Arc.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Well, the replacement lights Peter sent me are from a new recently made batch and they look pretty black to me. Much darker than the problematic one. Anyway, i've already tried changing the battery but it didn't fix the problem. I know its something with the head too because i've put the head on another battery tube and the same problem happened.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Have you tried re-seating the crimp? Take the foam washer off and tap the roll crimp with the end of a screwdriver. If cleaning the contacts (inside the tube too?) doesn't work, this usually does.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Could you possibly show me a picture of what the crimp looks like? I'm not exactly sure how the Arc AAA completes its circuit.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to suggest that as well. Under the foam washer you will see the bottom of the aluminum head curl inwards to retain the circuit board, that is called the "crimp". That is your negative path. Setting the head on a firm surface, and setting a small screwdriver blade on that curl edgewise and tapping it gently, but firmly enough with a small hammer so as to add a little dent to the edge of the head crimp, possibly in more than one spot, may be your solution. This was a commonly needed fix on the CMG Infinity lights, which are built in much the same way as the Arc.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Sounds like the old solder blob problem - twist the head down too far and the crushing action against the solder blob eventually prevents battery contact.

Arc's a great- Peter makes a great product and stands behind it....but try a Peak with a removable negative contact- little easier to get to/replace/repair or add momentary switch.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Okay so i tried hammering in the crimp zone but it didn't fix the problem. In fact, i think it made it worst. I just don't understand why this problem only occurs when i turn off the light slowly. It has to be something circuitry wise.