1.4A into two XPG-R4?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... Nailbender sells the 2xXPG boards. If I powered 2 XPG emitters from a single 1.4A DC-DC circuit, each emitter would receive .7A. Would that run cooler and brighter than a single XPG at the full 1.4A?

All else being equal....?
:thinking:

ifor powell

Enlightened
I am running 2 parallel R5's in my homemade headlight.
P1050329.JPG

I can run it at up to 2A but most of the time in use it's at only 500-1000ma levels. My main reason for using the two is that using just the 10mm square carclo optics I have the space for 2 no trouble the driver is the bigest bit that sets the size for the lighthead. With two I get half the heat in each and twice the area for getting it from the MPCB to the case. The efficentcy should be higher. The drawback is the danger of an uneven curent distribution and potential thermal runaway issued, for my headlight I have thermal protection in the driver so hopefully should not suffer to badly in an acidentaly switched on in a bag type situation.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, should be brighter as emitters are most efficient at the low end.
I run the double off the 150/1000/2500ma. The double @ mid is visibly brighter then my other lights (mc-e's, a single xpg r4, a P7) with the same driver.