Most powerful EDC torch

Add1cted

Newly Enlightened
Hi fellas,
Time to get another light - this time something pretty small.
I am looking to spend around $100 and so far have looked at the new Fenix PD20 (with R2), EagleTac P10C, JET-I PRO V3.0, NiteCore Extreme and NiteCore SR3.

Basically, I am after the brightest light so if you have any suggestions, opinions or advice, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark cr123^2 (preferably the tactical one)

Either with a R2 xp-e (slightly cheaper) or a slightly brighter and floodier R5 xp-g.

All the Quarks I've handled have been very good.

The SR3 might still be on sale (NITECORE50) should give you 50% off and is then great value!

Both lights at 4Sevens.com

Last edited:

Add1cted

Newly Enlightened
Quark cr123^2 (preferably the tactical one)

Either with a R2 xp-e (slightly cheaper) or a slightly brighter and floodier R5 xp-g.

All the Quarks I've handled have been very good.

The SR3 might still be on sale (NITECORE50) should give you 50% off and is then great value!

Wow, thanks for the sale codelovecpf I did not waste any time and have just purchased the SR3. Thank you for the heads up - really appreciate it.
I have also had a look at the Quark and still like the SR3 more.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great, but EDC usually implies something easily carried in a pocket, which would not be the case given the large head.

agreed, it seems bulky and lumpy to be comfortable in a pocket, although the size is smaller, i would rather go with a quark 123x2 for an edc with the most output, i edc my quark 123x2 with no problems at all. in fact i love the size and output of the light so much, im thinking of getting a pd30.

single cr123a lights have good output too, just not as good as 2x cr123a :twothumbs

TriChrome

Enlightened
I both love you and hate you at the same time (yes, that is possible ;)

I just bought a SR3 as well, thanks for the coupon code. Now within a couple weeks I bought a Jetbeam M1X, Nitecore Extreme, and now a Nitecore SR3...

Add1cted

Newly Enlightened
agreed, it seems bulky and lumpy to be comfortable in a pocket, although the size is smaller, i would rather go with a quark 123x2 for an edc with the most output, i edc my quark 123x2 with no problems at all. in fact i love the size and output of the light so much, im thinking of getting a pd30.

single cr123a lights have good output too, just not as good as 2x cr123a :twothumbs

PD30 is a nice light. Been looking at one myself but I still prefer the size of the PD20. I was really leaning towards this one until NoFair posted the coupon code for 50% off NiteCore SR3.

Regarding the Quark 123x2 - the specs state 190 lums. At least on paper, this is not as bright as the NiteCore SR3 (220lums). Not sure whether these are OTF or LED figures.
In addition, Quark is marginally longer than the SR3 (4.5inch vs 4.2inch).

Last edited:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Personally I would be patient and pick up one of the new Quark 123-2 tactical R4's coming out... should be pretty impressive at 230 genuine OTF lumens and comes in 30% undercost :thumbsup:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Should just wait till the next Moddoo 6P dropin comes out! $60 for the light, and $100-$150 for the dropin (assuming it stays in the same general price range as the XP-E one)

Should get 1000+ emitter lumens (3 or 4 XP-G S2 or R5, sounds like)

~Brian

Add1cted

Newly Enlightened
Should just wait till the next Moddoo 6P dropin comes out! $60 for the light, and $100-$150 for the dropin (assuming it stays in the same general price range as the XP-E one)

Should get 1000+ emitter lumens (3 or 4 XP-G S2 or R5, sounds like)

~Brian

Really? Is there any indication of when this will be happening? I have found the current thread for the Triple-XPE R2 drop-ins but no info on the next drop-in that you are referring to.
Even the current
Triple-XPE R2 drop-in is simply incredible.

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
Regarding the Quark 123x2 - the specs state 190 lums. At least on paper, this is not as bright as the NiteCore SR3 (220lums). Not sure whether these are OTF or LED figures.
In addition, Quark is marginally longer than the SR3 (4.5inch vs 4.2inch).

The new Quark XP-G is a great short to mid range light. It suffers past 50 feet. The SR3 is great at 20 feet and beyond. The SR3 is also a larger light.

The Quark for my pocket and the SR3 on my belt. The SR3 makes for a great pistol/light combination. It's impossible not to pick it up easily.

They both put out gobs of light.

Last edited:

Add1cted

Newly Enlightened
The new Quark XP-G is a great short to mid range light. It suffers past 50 feet. The SR3 is great at 20 feet and beyond. The SR3 is also a larger light.

The Quark for my pocket and the SR3 on my belt. The SR3 makes for a great pistol/light combination. It's impossible not to pick it up easily.

They both put out gobs of light.

Hi mate. Thanks for the comment.
I was referring to the Quark 123x2 when I said the Quark is a tag longer.
Good to hear you are happy with both lights. I am in the process of selecting my first hunting rifle so perhaps this is where the SR3 will end up.

SFfanman

Enlightened
You should check out the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-0. Sick throw for a single cell light!

Latest posts