Nitercore D10 PD R2 Ramping

iamhowie

Newly Enlightened
I have a new Nitecore D10 PD R2 and the ramping is now Hi, Med, Low, It does not change according to how long the switch is held. It just cycles through the Hi, Lo and medium. Is this normal? Also the color is almost green?

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I have a new Nitecore D10 PD R2 and the ramping is now Hi, Med, Low, It does not change according to how long the switch is held. It just cycles through the Hi, Lo and medium. Is this normal? Also the color is almost green?

Yeah, they're discontinuing on the ramping model and replace it with SP series which come in preset modes. As for me, I jumped in the D10 band wagon since the pre-order days that come with ramping direction bug. :eek:oo:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have a recently purchased PD D10 R2 (not an SP) that I carry in my pocket and it doesn't seem to have a three stage thing but what it does have is a very fast jump from low to medium then much slower to progress from medium to high. Seems to be slower all the way back down from high to low in the other direction.

kimck99

Newly Enlightened
In September, I purchased the D10 R2 wanting the ramping UI. However, I ended up with the SP version which is the 3-level version. (The box did state "SP" for the model which is the 3-level version.) I didn't know at the time that there were two versions. Initially, I was disappointed as I wanted the ramping light - just thought it was very cool - and thought about giving it away for Christmas.

Well, I also purchased a Nitecore D20 as a gift. After playing around with the ramping UI of the D20, I realized that as novel as the ramping is, I find the 3 level UI more convenient. You can "tap" the ramping UI to go from Low to High and vice-a-versa, but having the medium available much more quickly is more convenient than ramping.

I may still get the ramping UI (probably the EX10) just because is different than my other lights but from a usability standpoint, I think the 3-level UI is better.

BTW - if you haven't already, the D10 on 14500 is pretty darn bright. But then again, I suppose that can be said for any 1xAA that can handle 14500 :).

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
It would be really nice to have ramping and a memory capability that stays on when you jump to low or high. That way you can pre-set a medium, jump quickly to high and tap back to the pre-set medium without ramping again. With ramping you would be able to change the medium setting to anything you wanted and then keep it there. Presently for the D10 with ramping, the memory keeps your setting when you turn it off, but won't hold it when you jump to high or low

balou

Enlightened
I have a recently purchased PD D10 R2 (not an SP) that I carry in my pocket and it doesn't seem to have a three stage thing but what it does have is a very fast jump from low to medium then much slower to progress from medium to high. Seems to be slower all the way back down from high to low in the other direction.

My original D10 Q5 does that too - at least subjectively measured with my personal, logarithmic, light sensing body parts (a.k.a. eyes).

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I realized that as novel as the ramping is, I find the 3 level UI more convenient. You can "tap" the ramping UI to go from Low to High and vice-a-versa, but having the medium available much more quickly is more convenient than ramping.
After a bit of "real world" use of my ramping D10 R2 I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion as you. It sounds picky I know, but waiting for the light to ramp is inconvenient when you need it to change immediately so the SP UI would probably be quite good for me.

The only exception for me would be that I'd personally want something between medium and low because that's where I find myself trying to set my ramping version all the time. I do use the lowest setting at night for gently checking on sleeping birds in my aviaries but it's so low that it's not very useful to me for all the rest of my day to day tasks but medium is usually more than I need. I could live with three levels in an SP but would love four.

Latest posts