Regular Quark AA + Quark Turbo Reflector ?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there

I have a regular Quark AA (first batch). It´s perfect!
I love this little light, but sometimes I wish it has more throw and a bigger size, for better grip. I have big hands and my Quark disappear while I´m holding it.

Is it possible to attach a Quark Turbo head (reflector) on it ?

Can I have to change just the reflector ? Or the entire head and tailcap ?

Does someone has such combination ? Or pics ??

I mean... is it possible or I just had a bad idea ?

I know I could just take a Quark 2xAA body, but I want to improve throw either...

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
XP-G and XP-E have the same package, so try an emitter swap and see what happens. Or - I don't know if you can put the Turbo reflector and bezel on the regular quark head. It would be worth a try, I would think.
:popcorn:

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I believe you can put the Turbo head on the Quark AA body/tailcap just fine, but the Turbo heads run on a higher voltage so you'll need to use a li-ion 14500 (AA-size equivalent) battery to get it to work.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the information I've read.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_330&products_id=1917

http://www.4sevens.com/article_info.php?articles_id=84

In second link above "Since they are part of the Quark series,all Quark heads, bodies and tails will be mechanically compatible"

In the first link it specs the voltage of the Quark turbo AA2 as (0.9V-4.2V total). This leads me to believe that YES you can put a turbo head on a Quark AA (Quark 1AA turbo). It should have the same 109 lumen out put as the new Quark AA R5.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,
You can put a Turbo AA2 head on a Quark AA body and it will work fine. Don't get the Turbo head that runs 2 CR123A batteries though, it runs from 3.0 to 8.4V so won't be compatible with a single AA.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since your AA is an XP-E and the turbo is an XP-G, there won't be a great increase in throw with the turbo head. The smaller die of the XP-E creates a tighter spot than the XP-G. I believe David (4Sevens) has stated that the XP-G turbo head only has about a 10% throw advantage over the regular XP-E beam.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
QAuarkTdirtylens32.jpg

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! She´s beautiful!

Well... if the increase on throw would be just about 10%, probably I´ll not give the shot. I didn´t know about the different LEDs.

I mean... maybe that increase is not even perceptible by human eye, right ?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Turbo AA VS a Quark R2 regular

Slightly more throw and more total lumens than what you have now. Not a really big deal unless you do ceiling bounce tests side-by-side. The good thing about the Turbo is the larger diameter head and stout body construction. Just remember the Turbo is the tactical UI so it won't operate like a regular Quark. It will be the larger diameter size you are after and that big head keeps things running cool.

I fired up my Turbo AA2 this afternoon to see if it would run over an hour and what kind of heat it will produce in still air. It ran about 1 hour and 15 minutes and started to get dim. The head got slightly warm but not even close to hot so no worries about running it stationary in the hot summer.