Xmas light suggestion needed

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
I've been tasked to get a light for my brother-in-law. I think my mom & dad were thinking a mag-light, since that was "THE" light to get last time my dad bought flashlights for us.

Can you recommend a good light with a nice balance of flood and throw for $35-$45? I would want the performance to be superior to the old 4 cell incan maglights (seeing as how that's what he'd be comparing it too).

He's probably not interested in messing around with fancy batteries (18500s or whatever they're called). I'm thinking Ds, Cs, and other drugstore type batteries (maybe 123s if they're not too expensive AND available in stores--I've only bought mine online, so I don't know how available/expensive they are).

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have Costco membership or know somebody with one, check out the 2AA and 3D LED deal. You can get both (with batteries) for $25.99.

Otherwise, Home Depot has the 2AA LED for $9.88 until 12/23.

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I was thinking about getting him a maglight and doing whatever mod is being done these days--switching out emitters, etc. However, I really don't think he wants/needs to use it as a possible club/defense thing, so I'm just looking for a good quality light with a nice mixture of value, flood, throw, run-time, etc., would work.

About that Quark AA2 R2 light--doesn't that put out about the same amount of light as my Nightcore Defender Infinity with about the same run-time (even though my light has only 1 AA)?

Funny aside: I gave my dad a Nightcore DX10 (whichever the 1xAA version is) for Father's Day like 2 years ago, but when I recently asked him how he liked it, he told me it had been broken for about a year--that it would only come on when he held the button down. I pointed out that he had set it to tactical-momentary on, and sent him links to the instructional video and a review with directions. <sigh>

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he doesn't need the size of a D-size Mag, the 2AA would be best (can't beat the price either). The 3D has better throw and is a bit brighter, but the 2AA is pretty good for just using AA's.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Get him the Cyclops Thor X Sirius LED rechargeable spotlight. It now uses CREE XR-E emitters and outputs 400-500 lumens. It has both extreme throw for an LED light, and a very wide (floody) beam and bright spill due to being a tri-star light. It's runtime should be around 2 hours of regulated output on high, and it also has a low mode for preserving battery life when its blinding output isn't needed.

This light easily out throws a standard incan D size maglite and also outperforms my 3D MagLED Rebel.

09190915361.jpg

09190921351.jpg

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
AREN'T there any D or C battery LED lights that are as bright (or brighter) with a longer run-time than these CR123/18500 and AA lights that have been recommended?!

I think my budget is $30-$50, but I just think the CR123/18500s are too uncommon, but the AA lights perhaps don't have the run-time or brightness of a D or C battery light...though I could be wrong. (note: all my lights are 123/18500 and AA lights--e.g., Nightcore DI, Romisens, etc.)

kaj

Newly Enlightened
What about the brand new Mag-lite with a Rebel LED ? Or I just noticed on Amazon that they have Duracell Daylite flashlights in D and C sizes.

evi1joe

Newly Enlightened
The new maglight with Rebel has a good lumen rating/throw/flood and runtime?
Do the Duracell Daylites have better performance ratings than the maglight rebels? I only saw 2 Ds, no 3 or 4 Ds/Cs.

I had read some negative maglight rebel stuff here, but maybe they were just being nitpicky since they're flashaholics AND we'd all hoped maglight would upgrade to something more 2010 (offering something along the lines of the drop-ins).

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price, the Maglite is a great light. Especially if you get the 2AA/3D two-pack at Costco for $24.99 or the 2AA from Home Depot for $9.88. :twothumbs

I had read some negative stuff here, but maybe they were just being nitpicky since they're flashaholics
Yup, because Maglites can't compare to the fancy stuff that they're using. However, when you compare things like this, you need to take the price into consideration, and if that is done, then Maglites are great value. My requirement for a light is just good quality (preferable made in USA) and price, so the Maglite fits in nicely for me.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
The Cyclops Thor X Sirius uses a rechargeable 6 volt sealed lead acid battery that simply charges within the light. The light has a port on the back to plug either its standard 120V wall charger or 12V DC car charger into the back of the light, and a red indicator light will illuminate until the light is fully charged. This light is much more compact than a Maglite and at 400+ lumens (estimated) will most certainly outperform any MagLED or Duracell Daylite.

I suggest this light due to the fact that you are considering even a large D cell light, and you want something very bright. Also, SLA batteries such as the one in the Thor Sirius don't leak like alkalines - just charge them up before and after each use to maintain them and they will have very long lives. The Duracell Daylite 2C, and 2D lights, and the D cell Maglites all put out around 200 lumens or less and will not approach the Thor Sirius's performance. The C cell duracell Daylite does seem nice though for how compact it is, as it is going to be an extreme thrower (for its small size) with the kind of optic it uses.

Just a suggestion to consider. Hope this is helpful. :)

Last edited: