Prometheus        
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's , GS and now High CRI

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Default Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I wouldn't call it warm. To me warm is the HDS CRI clicky with XPG, (3700K?). Sapphire isn't even near that warm. Mine looks pure white, maybe leaning warm, but not much. It certainly isn't cool by any means however.
    This is a pretty good statement on the color. It can look warm, and when I say warm, I mean just enough to not be cool, but, it is not cool either. I could agree with 3700K.

No matter, you will love it! I really love the looks of these, they are an Art Deco like style, which is also one of my alias names.
    Last edited by RedLed; 10-24-2015 at 04:20 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    This is a pretty good statement on the color. It can look warm, and when I say warm, I mean just enough to not be cool, but, it is not cool either. I could agree with 3700K.

No matter, you will love it! I really love the looks of these, they are an Art Deco like style, which is also one of my alias names.
    I was saying my CRI HDS XPG is 3700K, Sapphire is is probably 4500-5000K.

Here is a beam shot for tint purpose only. Top is HDS CRI XPG 3700K, middle is sapphire, bottom is Zebralight SC32 6300K.

In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

[QUOTE=PoliceScannerMan;4761801]I was saying my CRI HDS XPG is 3700K, Sapphire is is probably 4500-5000K.

Here is a beam shot for tint purpose only. Top is HDS CRI XPG 3700K, middle is sapphire, bottom is Zebralight SC32 6300K.

[/QUOTE
    Your photo looks like mine, but looks different than my 4000-4500K lights but not far off, so I don't know? That is a good sample shot. Does it look a little green? I don't see colors well, women see then much better.

No green.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    No green.
    Once I get the Sapphire away from all other lights on some nice white bounce back it does look very nice. They may have looked green to me with three different color sources together. Kind of like trying to have even color lighting in a convention center with four different color balances running concurrently, digital helps a great deal with that film meant filters, and no good results.

When I said women see colors better, the best printers I have ever had have always been women, and I read an article some university did confirming that. Flashlights are no different than any other light source, or any person who works with light, and needs the right color, like interior designers and such.

Try asking some women with some test shots from your lights and see what they say about the colors, you will be surprised.

But I do agree with your conclusion as no green in Sapphires.

Dear Sir,

I know that some have modded their sapphires, I've seen that DaFab has provided such services. Maybe others also. I'm wondering what my options are.

I've got a sapphire - very beautiful light. The most beautiful in my collection and the most beautiful I can think of. Great for keychain EDC.

However, I would have loved it to be either
    1) a two-mode with 0,3 and "max" lumen or
    2) single mode 0,3 lumen light or
    3) a single mode higher "max" light.

I'm also rather fond of warmer outputs (3700 would be perfect) and +85 HiCri.

Can some of my wishes come true??

@Don: have you thought about the relatively new high-cri 5mm LEDs from Yuji? I have some 3200K ones and they are truly great! They are also available with 5600K and the same high cri rating. The price seems very low at first, but consider their high shipping costs. I still think they a really worth it though.
    Last edited by The_Driver; 10-16-2016 at 07:21 AM.

Email sent with Order!
    Now the wait.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    @Don: have you thought about the relatively new high-cri 5mm LEDs from Yuji? I have some 3200K ones and they are truly great! They are also available with 5600K and the same high cri rating. The price seems very low at first, but consider their high shipping costs. I still think they a really worth it though.
    I will give them a try. I have sampled other high CRI LED's in the past and not been impressed. The viewing angle and evenness of distribution of beam pattern is as important as CRI in this light I think.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, if you end up offering a High CRI Sapphire, I will be interested in one! This would truly be a "mini" Sundrop.
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    Don, if you end up offering a High CRI Sapphire, I will be interested in one! This would truly be a "mini" Sundrop.
    Agree!

My Sapphire Mule is one of the most unique and special little gems in my collection for just that reason!

Interested. Two Stage High CRI.

Flashaholic*

I'll express my interest as well, although I realize it may not become an option. The sapphire is my favorite light, and I have been longing for a new led option. I do realize that it is likely that I am just looking for a reason to give Don some more of my money.
    Chris

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I will give them a try. I have sampled other high CRI LED's in the past and not been impressed. The viewing angle and evenness of distribution of beam pattern is as important as CRI in this light I think.
    I would be interested as well in a high CRI Sapphire... if they do materialize; 3200K sounds just fine
    Last edited by phosphor22; 10-24-2016 at 05:53 PM.

I just ordered some of these LED's to try in the Arc AAA Ti, that I just bought. I hope they are as good as they sound!

Definitely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamerat View Post
    Dear Sir,

I know that some have modded their sapphires, I've seen that DaFab has provided such services. Maybe others also. I'm wondering what my options are.

I've got a sapphire - very beautiful light. The most beautiful in my collection and the most beautiful I can think of. Great for keychain EDC.

However, I would have loved it to be either
    1) a two-mode with 0,3 and "max" lumen or
    2) single mode 0,3 lumen light or
    3) a single mode higher "max" light.

I'm also rather fond of warmer outputs (3700 would be perfect) and +85 HiCri.

Can some of my wishes come true??
    Hopefully 1.

Hi guys,
    I got some of these high CRI Yuji LED's in the wider viewing angle (60) and 5600K and am very impressed with the performance so far. I don't know how close my integrating spher and spectrometer is to reality these days and especially with a low output LED like these but I did measure a Sapphire GS and compared it to one of these with HiCRI. I measured 5200K with the GS and 5045 on the HiCRI. CRIa was 69 pon the GS and an impressive 96 with the HiCRI. I measured 5.1 lumens on the GS (which is low I believe) and 3.5 lumens from the HiCRI. My guess is that the actual lumens may be closer to double for each light. The intensity of beam seemed very comparable between the two but the HiCRI has a smaller diameter flood. The evenness of intensity across the beam is better with this HiCRI LED than any I have seen with these small 5 mm LED's.

What I don't know and can't seem to see any mention of is what the lumen maintenance might be with these LED's. That is to say how long will they last.

I don't want to go full force in offering this option until there has been some units out in the field and some what of a track record established. So if anyone feels like being an early adapter. I will make one of these for you and the price will be the same, $150 plus postage. Just request a Sapphire HiCRI in your e-mail request.

Thank you The Driver for bringing these LED's to my attention.

To me the tint on these is simply white. I have no interest in messing with anything warmer than 4000K and any multi level output Sapphire would require a new converter and possibly a new head design; neither of which is in any planning stage at this point.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I just got some of these 5600k Hi CRI LED's in the mail, and went to work putting it in my Arc AAA Ti light. Wow! Talk about a smooth beam! Pretty much a mule beam, only narrower like a Sundrop. The tint is like Don said, "simply white". Not cool, not warm. CRI seems on par with my Nichia 219b Aleph mule. (Though things always render better to me with warmer tints) Time will tell if the LED burns out, due to the higher current of the Arc driver. Well I have a bag of 100, if it does Don't hesitate to order one from Don!

Please post some beam shots very interested in the tint color K2. Thx

Flashaholic*

How much current can these LEDs take? I think the driver puts out 25 mA.

eala

I believe they are rated for 30mA, but mine hasn't burned out yet (I think my arc driver is like 50mA or 60mA) Here's a few shots of what it looks like.
    .image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by K2-bk-bl-rd; 10-30-2016 at 05:38 PM.

I believe they are rated for 30mA, but mine hasn't burned out yet (I think my arc driver is like 50mA or 60mA) Here's a few shots of what it looks like.
    .image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    This looks very promising. I've been interested in a sapphire but I'm glad I've held off as I'd definitely choose this LED.

Double post
    Last edited by F89; 10-30-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Double post

Thank you for posting pics beutiful tint color show up perfect. Love the way you showed this. Many thanks.

What is the length on this light? Is there a spring in body? I remember reading a long time ago the Arc light crushes the battery. People had to be careful not tighten once the light is on. Is that problem with the sapphire?

Banned

There is no spring in the Sapphire's body. You can crush the battery if you're too dumb to stop twisting the head after the light comes on. You won't crush the battery accidentally, you have to put effort into it.

- - -

For what it's worth, I tried some of the Nichia DS warm-tint LEDs a couple years ago and I found them to be quite pleasant. I don't think they were rated Hi-CRI specifically, but despite being warm tint they did a surprisingly good job of rendering greens, which is generally what warm LEDs struggle with.

Hi guys,
    I have now spent some time with the Hi CRI LED in the Sapphire and it really continues to impress me. With daylight color temperature, high CRI and a beam that is more artifact free than any flood beam I have seen, I feel the Sapphire has finally come to a maturity worthy of note. I am going to modify the first post in this tread announcing the option of the High CRI 5mm and reference this post. The Yuji LED is rated at 30 mA max and the driver in the Sapphire is at 25 mA so I expect the LED to hold up well in the long run. The price for a High CRI Sapphire will be the same as the GS, namely $150 plus postage.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have now spent some time with the Hi CRI LED in the Sapphire and it really continues to impress me. With daylight color temperature, high CRI and a beam that is more artifact free than any flood beam I have seen, I feel the Sapphire has finally come to a maturity worthy of note. I am going to modify the first post in this tread announcing the option of the High CRI 5mm and reference this post. The Yuji LED is rated at 30 mA max and the driver in the Sapphire is at 25 mA so I expect the LED to hold up well in the long run. The price for a High CRI Sapphire will be the same as the GS, namely $150 plus postage.
    Cool. Great to see the HCRI make it to these guys. (Now make a version that's a simple High/Low two stage!) I know, I know:

To me the tint on these is simply white. I have no interest in messing with anything warmer than 4000K and any multi level output Sapphire would require a new converter and possibly a new head design; neither of which is in any planning stage at this point.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast