Help me get my first flashlight!

utalker

Newly Enlightened
Hello there!

Now it's time for me to get a good flashlight instead of the crap laying around the house.
But since I'm completely new to flashlight I turn to you for help and advices.
I have a quite small budget. I' thinking about max 60$.

I've been looking at several different P7s at www.dealextreme.com. They are really cheap, around 35$.
But are the any good? Some body told me that they were badly regulated and that the brightness of the flashlight will decrease fast. Not like good flashlight that have the same brightness the whole time and then it goes out.

Does anyone have graphs for the brightness, how it decreases over time for the P7 flashlights?

You might know some other flashlight that is better. Someone told me the Fenix TK10 was the way to go. But it have CR123 batteries. Doesn't that mean short battery time?

How bright is the TK10 against the P7s at dealextreme?

At the time I'm using this flashlight http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29095

I really need your help guys.

Last edited:

utalker

Newly Enlightened
What? I turn to a flashlight forum and still, I get no help. Whats worng :S

chef4850

Enlightened
I have never used DX but from everything that I have read you are better off buying from a US dealer. Easier and shorter repair time (if you should need it). The TK10 that you refered to I am assuming it is the fenix. If so it is a great light and very usable. Smaller size and bright. The Fenix TK10 was my "first real light" and still use it to this day. Built like a tank very simple IU. However if the low is a big concern to you the low on the fenix is quite bright and the high is very bright. Most P7 lights are a larger format and not as easy to EDC unless you are using a holster. There are some modded lights using the P7 that are smaller but do not have the run time you might be needing.
Hope this helps a little and welcome to CPF! :wave:

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
Hi utalker, welcome to CPF. First, let me advise you to hide your credit cards and paypal information from yourself. Once you get one nice, bright light, it goes down hill fast.

Anyway, I have and really like a Fenix TK10, it was one of my first lights. The battery time is very good, I'm still on my first set and I've had it for months. If you want the Fenix UI and features, get the TK11 and you can use Li-Ion batteries. I also agree about the lack of a low on the light.

4Sevens has a great deal on some of their R2 Quarks. I really like my 123^2. And they are small and slim enough to EDC easily. The AA version with NiMH or at 14500 Li-ION sounds like a great combo.

Good luck with your purchase.

frank777

Enlightened
Welcome utalker! Wow…. You asked a lot of good questions. Here is my best shot at some answsers.

The SpiderFire P7 2-mode uses a resistor on LOW, and direct drive on HIGH, so you will be over driving the LED on HIGH if using a fully charged 18650 battery. The heat sinking on those cheap P7 lights is not very good, so you may have reliability problems. If you have the know-how, you can buy one, take it apart, and properly install heat sinking paste as I did on mine. If you're using it for a bicycle, the wind should keep it cool enough that the LED does not overheat.

The MTE SSC P7 and MTE P7D both use regulation, although it is not very good regulation and may not provide the same amount of light as the battery gets used up. They suffer as well from poor heat sinking. The Aurora WF-600 using a Cree XR-E has a regulator too, but will appear about half as bright as the P7 lights (in reality, it is about 3 times as bright, but will only appear twice as bright).

Regarding light output, if you are using 18650 lithium-ion batteries, you may not notice the drop in light output very much because lithium-ion batteries tend to provide good voltage and current until they are nearly out of power.

If I had to choose between the lights on DealExtreme, I would go with the 2-mode P7, and re-do the heat sinking.

The Fenix TK10 is a MUCH better flashlight and the ones you listed on DealExtreme. It has good regulation, good heat sinking, and will be about half the [apparent] brightness of the P7 lights, but still plenty bright. The CR123 batteries do NOT necessarily mean shorter battery life, and you can get CR123 rechargeables on eBay or at Lighthound:

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-LiFePO4-3-Volt-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery_p_112.html
http://www.lighthound.com/Nano-3-Volt-Charger_p_1281.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/4X-3-0V-CR123A-CR123-17335-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger_W0QQitemZ270493988939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efab2b84b

If you want to spend a little more money, I would recommend a microprocessor controlled flashlight called Novatac. It is a little more than your $60 budget ($73), but well worth the money:

http://www.lighthound.com/NovaTac-EDC-85T--Tactical-Multi-Output-1-Cell-lithium-flashlight-with-SSC-LED--HA-III-Black-Finish_p_1339.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

utalker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Frank777 for a really good answer :D
Even though I know the TK10 is a really good flashlight I'm leaning towards the P7s because I want a really bright flashlight. And like you said, the wind will keep it cool.

I guess I can't resist buying the TK10, so in a couple of months I probably have that one too xD

EDIT: I might not get the SpiderFire P7 after reading this. This is just what I want to avoid, brightness decreasing as the voltage goes down. (Is that correct?)
Will I avoid this problem if I get a Fenix TK10? Will it be the same brightness until the batteries are empty? This doesn't look that good:
101measurments.gif

Where can I find the same chart(?) but for the Fenix TK10?

Last edited:

corvettesR1

Enlightened
How about one of these for around your home.They run on a common AA battery and have a wonderful ramp up/down brightness system.Just twist the head to activate the ramping and twist again to stop it at the setting you like.

The price is around $37 shipped.I found this light to be a good size. Its small but not too tiny or too bulky.The beam quality and color are very nice as well.

I bet you would really enjoy it even if you end up buying something else first.Good luck. PS Battery Junction is a great, fast shipper. http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-c7r.html

Last edited:

frank777

Enlightened
Thanks Frank777 for a really good answer :D
Even though I know the TK10 is a really good flashlight I'm leaning towards the P7s because I want a really bright flashlight. And like you said, the wind will keep it cool.

I guess I can't resist buying the TK10, so in a couple of months I probably have that one too xD

If you go with an UNREGULATED P7 (2-mode) from DealExtreme, one way to not overdrive it is to run the flashlight on LOW for about 30 minutes on a fully charged 18650. That should bring down the voltage enough to avoid overdriving or overheating on HIGH.

I have heard of people having problems with the regulated P7's from DealExtreme (electronics not working properly or failing). The Cree MC-E is equivalent to the P7. This light is MUCH better quality light for a little more money:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-dmini-extreme-ex.html

It is important to keep in mind with flashlights that the human eye responses in a logrithmic manner, because your pupils become smaller with brighter light. So the brighter your flashlight is, the less light your eyes let in. That means for a flashlight to appear twice as bright to your eyes, you need 4 times the brightness in lumens. So a 900 lumen flashlight may only appear around 50% brighter than a 400 lumen light. Both will be like holding the sun in your hands!

Last edited:

utalker

Newly Enlightened
It is important to keep in mind with flashlights that the human eye responses in a logrithmic manner, because your pupils become smaller with brighter light. So the brighter your flashlight is, the less light your eyes let in. That means for a flashlight to appear twice as bright to your eyes, you need 4 times the brightness in lumens. So a 900 lumen flashlight may only appear around 50% brighter than a 400 lumen light. Both will be like holding the sun in your hands!

I've never thought of that. But doesn't that mean that looking at beamshot comparisons taken with a camera only will make you disappointed in real life?

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
That MTE 5-Mode Light P7-D is a genuine MTE Light, some others at DX are fake ones.
However, i sold over 40 of these 2-mode mte lights (which are not genuine) at my workplace and most of them are working without any problems. Light Output is pretty good, heatsink are basically ok. The ones in that P7-D (which you also can get via www.mteccd.com) are much better. On some of them you just need to have a look if the pill and the switch housing are tightened, but after that, they're reliable.
Runtime is around one hour on high, depending on the used cell.

I can't say that these lights are crap. However, if you buy at an us seller, you'll have your light faster and the service will also be much faster. But you end up in having paid more. At work i also carry a mte p7 light, because i don't have to think about if it takes a beating...and it already took a lot of :D

utalker

Newly Enlightened
I change my mind so often. But I guess you have to do that before placing the final order.

Now I'm looking at:
Quark 123², R5 Edition 4Sevens.Com
Fenix TK10 Black Finish 4Sevens.Com

Which on of the is best? I guess you can't point out one. But I'd like if you listed the pros and cons. If there are any cons.
So I live in Sweden and I saw that I had to pay taxes if I bought from 4sevens. In Sweden the tax is 25%, ohyes thats right, 25%.
What do you say about buying the TK10 from DealExtreme instead? It's cheaper there and I don't have to pay tax. I've bought several things from DX and I haven't needed to pay tax on any it.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
I'd say you're set with either one of those lights. You might be interested in the Tactical Quark if you want the ability to program two different sets and the momentary on function. I have and it really like it.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you say about buying the TK10 from here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13481.

It's much cheaper than 4sevens. Does anyone know why they sell it so cheap? There must be a catch :/

1. Dealextreme isnt an authorised Fenix dealer AFAIK.
2. DX delivery times is much much much longer than 4sevens
3. if a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your first good light should be an EDC( every day carry). I would recommend something that uses 2xAA and is not an MC-E.

I think you should pre-order one of the new Quark 2xAA's for 59 bucks which ship on 12/31.

If you really want a quad die light, I would go for the MG PLI MC-E, which shiningbeam just got back in stock.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/**NEW**-MG-PLI-Cree/Detail

Last edited:

Arnulf

Enlightened
I just purchased a UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 LED 2-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123A) DX....for some reason I thought they were a U.S business in California....I have heard that it takes around a month to receive your item from them?

Last edited:

utalker

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 LED 2-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123A) DX....for some reason I thought they was a U.S business in California....I have heard that it takes around a month to receive your item from them?

That's about right. I've bought a green laser from DX. It took me around 20 days to get it.

utalker

Newly Enlightened
I think your first good light should be an EDC( every day carry). I would recommend something that uses 2xAA and is not an MC-E.

I think you should pre-order one of the new Quark 2xAA's for 59 bucks which ship on 12/31.

If you really want a quad die light, I would go for the MG PLI MC-E, which shiningbeam just got back in stock.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/**NEW**-MG-PLI-Cree/Detail

Why AA? Aint it better to go stright for the CR123a batteries?
Are they not better?

And if I get the AA version it sais "Voltage range: 0.9V ~ 4.2V", and my AAs are 1.5V. Total 1.2V from max. Don't that mean dimmer brightness or do I misunderstand?

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Cr123's will give you bright lights with longer run time as a general rule.
I prefer a AA or even AAA light for my edc because if I ever need to replace the batteries and I'm not at home, it is much easier to find these than cr123's and much cheaper. Most stores will charge you around 5 bucks for just one cr123 battery.
It is definitely a preference thing though.

Latest posts