4AA long-body Lego?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can I build a 4AA body--not one where the cells are arranged 2 by 2, but a long one where the four cells are single-column?

I could add a second 1AA extender to my 3AA Dereelight Javelin, but these extenders have a choke point that prevents the cells from being easily removed by gravity alone.

I like the FiveMega 3AA body sold by Lighthound.com, but FiveMega doesn't make a AA extender.

I'm intrigued by the SolarForce lego suggestions on this page, but a 18650 body is too wide; this light will live in my front trouser pocket.

Am I overlooking any 2AA bodies that will accept a C head and AA extenders?

Are there any bodies that are wide enough to hold, say, 123 lithium cells but no wider, from which I could put together the necessary length?

If I must go to a 18650 body width, what body parts would I need to hold 4AAs, and what would I use as a liner so the AA cells don't rattle?,

hopkins

Enlightened
Paul
This is probably not what you want but I've made a 4 AA battery
holder from 2 lengths of black flexible drip irrigation hose (stiff but
bendable stuff) each 10 inches long. AA batteries will not fit into
it as the inside diameter is just a bit too small. My clever idea was
to cut a slit completely down each length. With a little pushing I
got the 4 AA's inside one of the lengths. The 2nd length of hose
slides over the first to make a quite sturdy battery pack.

Wires soldered to springs are pushed into both ends to make electrical
contact and a piece of foam is rammed in to hold the tension.
Taped the ends closed.

Anyway just an idea that helped me out. Thought I'd pass it along.

Hopkins

Rat6P

Enlightened
The black irrigation hose sounds like a good option.

I use a solarforce 2*cr123 host with 2 18650 extenders the give me the perfect length for 4*AA. The main thing I dont like about this setup is I dont feel the light is as sturdy as one piece of metal..of course.

I think one of leef's 3*18650 (6*cr123)hosts would be perfect. Light hound has them for M and C heads.

As far as making the spacer to eliminate battery rattle....many options are available. Like Hopkins's good idea I think your imagination is the key.

Take the host and batteries to you local hardware....you may be able to find some sort of pvc piping or other tubing that fits perfectly. Then just cut to length.

You may be able to make a spacer by rolling up some material around the batteries till it fits nicely inside the flashlight body. This process will involve a little trial and error. I used some sort of clear flexible plastic a4 paper size sheet holder...found it at a stationary store. When rolled up it creates a very tuff spacer and I have never had an problems with it. I used the same stuff for all my 2*AA conversions aswell.

Edit: I once found that the roll/spindle from a used fax paper roll was perfect as a spacer/battery holder......it had the perfect outside and inside diameter.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find two old Tacstar 1xAA extenders for the AA Mini Maglite, you can make a 4xAA version. Here is a 3xAA:

MiniMaglite3xAA.jpg

Rat6P

Enlightened
Thats pretty cool. Would it fit on a 3AA mag led by any chance?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could add a second 1AA extender to my 3AA Dereelight Javelin, but these extenders have a choke point that prevents the cells from being easily removed by gravity alone.

Hey Paul, which batteries are you using? I haven't noticed that issue with the Javelin extension tubes that I have... I've tried Eneloops, Energizer 2400 mAh cells, and alkalines. All slide through very easily. Send me your address and I'll mail a couple to you.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, FlashCrazy; address PM'd. I'm using Eneloops. They appear genuine; I bought them from Thomas Distributing, a reputable electronics dealer.

The Javelin is just about ideal if the new extension tubes have a slightly wider clearance.

I'll pass on any solution calling for a 18650 body; that's wider than I'm looking for, and I can do without coworkers' jokes ending "...or are you just glad to see me?"

The Maglite copy; it can't accept P60-sized modules.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats pretty cool. Would it fit on a 3AA mag led by any chance?

If the 3AA Mag LED is threaded at the tail to take the same tailcap as the 2AA incandescent Mini Mag, then the extender should fit. Finding one is probably the challenge.

The Maglite copy; it can't accept P60-sized modules.

Sorry about that. Didn't see that you wanted C head compatibility, which was buried in the 3rd line from the end in post #1.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eneloops DO slip through the Javelin AA extender!

Hey Paul, which batteries are you using? I haven't noticed that issue with the Javelin extension tubes that I have... I've tried Eneloops, Energizer 2400 mAh cells, and alkalines. All slide through very easily. Send me your address and I'll mail a couple to you.

My fault: I had wrapped a narrow address label around each cell to identify its batch. When I removed the address label, each Eneloop slipped through with almost no friction.

My search, then, is over! It's a second long Javelin for me...and maybe a third, each lengthened to use 4 AAs. FlashCrazy, if the two free extenders have already been dispatched, I'll send you a PayPal or tack on the funds to my next order from Flashlight Connection.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eneloops DO slip through the Javelin AA extender!

My fault: I had wrapped a narrow address label around each cell to identify its batch. When I removed the address label, each Eneloop slipped through with almost no friction.

My search, then, is over! It's a second long Javelin for me...and maybe a third, each lengthened to use 4 AAs. FlashCrazy, if the two free extenders have already been dispatched, I'll send you a PayPal or tack on the funds to my next order from Flashlight Connection.

Ahh.. glad you solved it. I just sent you a PM saying that I'd send the tubes out on Monday, then I saw your message here. Tell you what... when you order another Javelin, remind me and I'll still send them to you for free. :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

You actually inspired me to purchase my 3 AA Javelin build. I now have in my possesion such a Lego with a Nailbender P60 5 mode XP-G and I thank you for it.

After holding in my hand both the 2 18650 Solarforce hosts and 3 AA Javeling hosts I can confirm the 3 AA Hosts; while being longer feels more compact and EDC compatible

I now blame you for my current madness.:broke:

Kidding aside; I can see how a direct drive P7 or MC-E P60 drop-in will be super bright, but my goal is an M30 but I will wait for the XP-G version which I hope will come out soon.

EDIT: I have the same hosts, but my cells fall right out. I use Tenergy AA 2600mAh's. It is about a whole inch longer than 2 18650 hosts, but feels smaller. I think 4 AA is a must and for emergencies you can always use AA cells and even take off AA extentions as you see fit. Why didn't these AA P60 hosts come out sooner. I also saw some fivemega 3 AA hosts about 2 weeks ago a Modamags home and can tell you the Deerelight is asthetically 100 times more pleasant and easier on the pockest for EDC.

Thanks,
bigC

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4AA long-body and the dropins it deserves

I own two P60-sized dropins: a Malkoff Devices M30WF (warm flood), which is regulated; and a Nailbender direct-drive warm MC-E (3-level). I can't wait to compare them directly in two 4AA Javelins. At 3.7V--that is to say, running three Eneloops--the direct-drive MC-E is more fun (delivering great spill AND throw) but the M30WF is, well, more pleasing and arguably more useful at close range. Add another 1.2 volts, and the brightness gap widens: the MC-E will become brighter, while the M30WF will simply last longer and stay regulated longer. At least that's the impression I got for the few minutes when I replaced the three 1.2V Eneloops with three 1.7V Energizer Lithiums.

My third contender will probably be a triple XP-G in Warm, when it's available.

Paul,

You actually inspired me to purchase my 3 AA Javelin build. I now have in my possesion such a Lego with a Nailbender P60 5 mode XP-G and I thank you for it....
Kidding aside; I can see how a direct drive P7 or MC-E P60 drop-in will be super bright, but my goal is an M30 but I will wait for the XP-G version which I hope will come out soon.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 4 AA is a must and for emergencies you can always use AA cells and even take off AA extentions as you see fit.
Not only that: Most of us charge our AAs in a 4AA charger. Most of us carry our spare AAs in a 4AA plastic case. We might as well make the most of this capacity.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic - but does anyone know who has the Dereelight Javelin in stock at the moment?

-Trevor

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic - but does anyone know who has the Dereelight Javelin in stock at the moment?

-Trevor

I have it in my paws:twothumbs

My Deerelight P60 drop-in can be wrapped by cooper tape a considerable amount before it becomes a tight fit. IMHO; the tighter the fit the more heat transfer which is why I like to wrap my drop-ins with cooper tape. It also makes good electrical contact when using Solarforce hosts and is actually a must if I use my M30 in my Solarforce.