E2DL Defender most satisfying as a duty light . . .

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Finally disassembled the duty belt to slide the SafariLand basket weave small light holster on the belt to use my Surefire E2DL for a 6p - 3a shift. Slid the light on to it's holster next to a Pelican 7060 that is on temporary duty while my Polystinger is being fixed under warranty by Streamlight (turns out I like the 7060 better than the Polystinger, but that's another matter). Also I really like the size of the E2DL.

After eleven or twelve vehicle stops, along with three hours at a vehicle checkpoint with state and local officers, and some other stuff, I found the E2DL the best light I have used on duty period. About midnight the lower forty degree weather turned to rain for the rest of the shift. Great not worrying about the light getting too wet (I had a Stinger fog at the lens after a heavy rain once). The broader beam was great for illuminating vehicle interiors, did superior illuminating a back yard looking for a motorcycle.

The UI was perfect for this kind of work. Click, and you're at 200 lumens. Click down, and I could use the lower beam to check that a driver was wearing contacts when their license called for corrective lenses without driver discomfort; or use the low beam while filling out a vehicle inventory as part of impounding a van. The high is almost too bright for a field sobriety test, but works fine if you're mindful not to tan the subject with the center of the beam at the face. Great that you don't have to click through low beam every time for bright. I'll also mention that the LX2's UI was completely unacceptable for these applications, but I carry the LX2 in plain clothes. Tactically if needed, you still have the temporary beam with the E2DL.

Downside: A $21 box of batteries every six shifts if you change batteries each shift. Full time that can approach eighty dollars a month if you work nights unless your agency has the 123's. For a day shifter occasionally using a light, this is their light. A fresh pair of batteries did last the whole shift last night (and it turns out the remote for the Stalker model Doppler Radar takes the same battery, so I was actually able to replace someone's remote that was down). And, finally, except in very limited circumstances, you'd get written up or worse using the E2DL as a defensive weapon.

Anyway, except for the battery considerations, perfect!

k594

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL is by far my favorite light, its the total package for me.
indoors when throw isnt needed i tend to use the F04 diffuser for it and it turns a pitch black room into daylight, outside i take the diffuser off and its great.

from what i hear rechargeable cr123 can be used without any ill effects,
only draw back ive seen so far is that the low is a bit brighter at first due to the higher voltage but after a little use on the battery it levels out and is at optimum voltage.

i use AW rechargeables. just a thought.

+1 for an awesome light

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions on batteries; however, Surefire makes it very clear in the paperwork that comes with the light that they will void your warranty if you use any other battery than their own batteries and one other manufacturer I can't remember, Panasonic or something.

kwkarth

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions on batteries; however, Surefire makes it very clear in the paperwork that comes with the light that they will void your warranty if you use any other battery than their own batteries and one other manufacturer I can't remember, Panasonic or something.

Blackmail

SuperTrouper

Enlightened

If you don't tell them you've used other branded batteries in there, they probably wouldn't ever know. I'm sure others have no problems with non Surefire batteries in the Surefire lights.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2DL is an engineering marvel. For most distances one would use a flashlight for the optics in the E2DL perform admirably.

I do wish Surefire would loosen up on the whole battery issue, and I personally would jump for joy for an AA option, but that is a matter for another discussion.

Enjoy your E2DL, one of the finest lights available right now.

Bill

Last edited:

k594

Newly Enlightened
i wonder if this is just a marketing scheme to sell batteries or if using another brand would really have any adverse effects

brianch

Enlightened
Grab some panasonic 123as. Panasonic makes the SureFire batteries. You can get a box of 50 under 70 bux. If you shop around sometimes even cheaper and with free shipping. Check out the CPF offerings from dealers. Some dealers offer great discounts for batteries. Some dealers offer more discount for law enforcement and military officers.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder if this is just a marketing scheme to sell batteries or if using another brand would really have any adverse effects

Chinese CR123a batteries are known to be potentially dangerous and cause failures. There's a wide variety of rechargeable batteries, and they may or may not be suitable for a particular light. If they're not suitable, then they could damage the flashlight.

Regards,
Tempest

MKLight

Enlightened
The UI was perfect for this kind of work. Click, and you're at 200 lumens. Click down, and I could use the lower beam to check that a driver was wearing contacts when their license called for corrective lenses without driver discomfort; or use the low beam while filling out a vehicle inventory as part of impounding a van. The high is almost too bright for a field sobriety test, but works fine if you're mindful not to tan the subject with the center of the beam at the face. Great that you don't have to click through low beam every time for bright. I'll also mention that the LX2's UI was completely unacceptable for these applications, but I carry the LX2 in plain clothes. Tactically if needed, you still have the temporary beam with the E2DL.

dwever - Hi! Sort of OT, but I just recently started wearing contacts. If I were to be asked if I'm wearing contacts, what would you do? Shine the light in my eyes? I'm only asking because I would prefer that to having to take them out. I actually never thought about that scenario before.

Back on topic...it is an awesome light. The E1B is very complementary to the E2D.

Thanks for your review! :twothumbs
MK

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Hardly. You are asked to stare straight ahead while FROM THE SIDE the officer takes the edge of a low power light, and can see the edge of your contacts. You never look into a light.

MKLight

Enlightened
Ah, cool. I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I started thinking, "how would I take out my contacts in a non-germy way?" Thanks for the clarification. That actually makes me feel much better...and makes sense!

I had a friend who used to say, "Common sense ain't so common." I guess I was part of that today! hahaha Seriously, though...thank you! :twothumbs

MK

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I found I like better about the E2LD vs. the 6P is that with the E2 you can put place it under your arm pit if needed. Its a small enough light for comfort but large enough for better grip.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened

Huh. I didn't think they could do that. Same way that Ford can't void your warranty for getting your oil changes done at JiffyLube.

I just checked the SureFire web site. Their guarantee/warranty page says:

"...Normal wear and tear — including lamps burning out, batteries draining, and switches wearing out — is not covered, nor is damage resulting from abuse, neglect, battery leakage, use of other than SureFire-brand batteries or accessories, or altering this product from its original state."

So "...damage resulting from...use of other than SureFire batteries..." isn't covered. I read that as saying that if SureFire batteries do a vent-with-flame, Surefire will cover the damage to the light. However, if you're using Duracells, then you look to Duracell to cover the cost of repairs. I don't read it as saying that if your Z59 tailcap dies and SureFire (somehow) figured out you were using Panasonic batteries, they would refuse to fix the tailcap.

On their "Batteries - Counterfeit Warning" page it says:

"To make sure you get authentic, competitively priced SureFire 123A lithium batteries purchase them only from www.surefire.com or authorized SureFire resellers. You may also purchase batteries from well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell® to ensure safe performance."

Looks to me like Surefire just don't want to be responsible for fixing damage caused by some other company's batteries.

But wadda I know, I've never actually owned a SureFire light (they run a little more than I've been able to justify...so far) so I've never seen the paperwork that comes with the light. Might be worth a second look, though.

patrolman7

Newly Enlightened
Last night was my first chance to use the E2DL which I purchased last Saturday. My fellow officers and I were checking a heavily wooded area for a subject wanted for A and B on an officer by means of a motor vehicle. The E2DL was everything I could have expected for surefire based on reviews I have read. It light up ravines and brush and I was safely able to illuminate the drainage tunnels under the road without having to walk through them. I was a little hesitant at first because they use lithium batteries but they worked flawlessly last night after about an hour in the bone chilling 8 degree weather we had in town last night, the battery on my T-4 totally stopped working but the surefire lithiums kept going, guess it is true what they say about the temperature extremes that they work in. I highly recommend this light, I have a feeling the E2DL will most likely replace my T4 which has been on my duty rig since 2007.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Now I have 3

Just ordered my third E2DL Defender. My first one was to check out as a duty light after the LX2 tanked, you saw the amateur review above. Second was for my Army son with a red lens and laniard - he loves it. Third, I was so pleased with number one on duty Thursday, I bought a back-up to drop in my duty bag.

Also ordered a second SafariLand carrier - far and away superior to SureFire's. The part number is either 306-2-4 or 308-2-4, can't tell - "Mini Flashlight Carrier." for belt loops up to 2-1/4". I believe it was originally produced for a Streamlight Scorpion, but works perfectly with a E2DL. Suggested retail is $30, but you can order for $20.

brianch

Enlightened
Re: Now I have 3

Just ordered my third E2DL Defender. My first one was to check out as a duty light after the LX2 tanked, you saw the amateur review above. Second was for my Army son with a red lens and laniard - he loves it. Third, I was so pleased with number one on duty Thursday, I bought a back-up to drop in my duty bag.

Also ordered a second SafariLand carrier - far and away superior to SureFire's. The part number is either 306-2-4 or 308-2-4, can't tell - "Mini Flashlight Carrier." for belt loops up to 2-1/4". I believe it was originally produced for a Streamlight Scorpion, but works perfectly with a E2DL. Suggested retail is $30, but you can order for $20.
Nice. Hope you got a good deal on it. I love my E2DL

Fooboy

Enlightened
That is an interesting point about "thumb fatigue" using the LX2 (since you are unable to twist it to constant-on with one hand).

+1 for E2DL

This got me thinking though ... I think the switch on the LX2 will outlast the E2DL as clickies fail more often and with the LX2 you can always rely on the robust twist action even if the the tail switch broke.

Thanks for your comments, dwever.

fiveform

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired the Surefire E2DL "Executive Defender" and find it bright well beyond the lumen rating, as well as very useful as an EDC. This is my first Surefire since I had the original 6P, 9P, and 3P when I was selling the brand during the late 1980's and early 90's. My only objection to the design is that there are significantly sharp edges (unfinished?) on the crenelated bezel. Since they are plenty pointed enough for blunt force trauma, and then some, my feeling is that these sharp edges should have been buffed or tumbled off turning the final finishing process. When carrying, bezel up, in a pants, jacket or shirt pocket (the only available orientation), reaching for it can actually be injurious when you must move quickly. While I do understand that the "defender" part of the product name would be void if there were no crenelations on front or back, it would be nice if the bezel end was dehorned the way that the switch end was. It would be no less effective for impact use as a result. In actuality, you don't want to gash a potential assailant, you want to inflict pain, disorientation, and make him go away...

Last edited: