Retro Eveready Flashlights -- Upgraded

parnell

Newly Enlightened
I purchased two "vintage" lights off of ebay with the intent of upgrading. I received the lights, which didn't appear to be vintage. I found that they were retro, being manufactured in 1998. This made it much easier to mod, because I didn't feel bad about destroying the original light assembly.
Flashlight3.jpg

Flashlight5.jpg

The reflector is a cheap, pliable plastic and the reflective surface is poorly done. This was definitely going to be replaced.

Flashlight1-1.jpg

The original was very cheaply made, so I removed the light assembly only remaining with the threaded disc. I epoxied an aluminum disc on the inside and part of a d26 pill to the bottom.

I wanted to keep batteries simple, so i used this driver with 2 D cells.

At first I had soldered the pill to the base of the disc, luckily I had a realization before I assembled everything. The metal disc on the metal flashlight would turn the light on without the switch. I placed a thin layer of epoxy on the disc, then the pill on top of that.

Flashlight8.jpg

For the first light I used a Q3-5C, for the second, a R2-WG.

Flashlight7.jpg

Both lights will receive the reflector on the left. The other is still on back order so I used a d26 reflector that has been sanded shorter on the bottom.

This is one of those "just because I can" projects. I mainly did it to have a couple of go to flashlights around the house. I am very pleased with the results.

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
Very nice...I like the idea of 'modern vintage'.

To be honest, I'm liking the look of the 'temporary' D26 reflector a lot. It gives a sort of "what in the...??" type of reaction.

JB

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice...I like the idea of 'modern vintage'.

To be honest, I'm liking the look of the 'temporary' D26 reflector a lot. It gives a sort of "what in the...??" type of reaction.

JB

And it has extra space -- maybe add a dozen 5mm UV LEDs, or some such. Is there a CCFL version of those old circline flourescents? Something like that would be sweet.

Not sure about the switching, though... guess you could use capacitor-powered flip-flop + MOSFETs to get a toggleable multimode.

elumen8

Enlightened
And it has extra space -- maybe add a dozen 5mm UV LEDs, or some such. Is there a CCFL version of those old circline flourescents? Something like that would be sweet.

Not sure about the switching, though... guess you could use capacitor-powered flip-flop + MOSFETs to get a toggleable multimode.

Oh yeah...go big or go home!! :thumbsup:

JB

parnell

Newly Enlightened
It would look sweet with the 5mm leds around it, but that is stretching beyond my abilities for now.