perceivable light difference

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
I have an Olight T20 which is rated as 200+ lumens and I'm wondering how much of a difference in brightness would i get as compared to the surefire LX1 which is rated as 200 lumens?

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
I made a mistake I meant the LX2,

what do you mean " depends on which one you want brighter"

Are you saying that they are both as bright?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Olight T20 which is rated as 200+ lumens and I'm wondering how much of a difference in brightness would i get as compared to the surefire LX1 which is rated as 200 lumens?

I believe Surefire measures their lumens out the front and Olight measures at the emitter. Surefire is known for being conservative with their lumen ratings so I think the Surefire would be brighter but I don't own either light so I can't say for sure.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 80 lumen Sillyfire flashlight can be brighter than a 200 lumen Surefire. There is no direct correlation between lumens (output or quantity) and brightness (intensity) of light.

Kinda like asking - which is sweeter (intensity), a teaspoon (quantity) of sugar dissolved in cup of water or a teaspoon of sugar dissolved in a gallon of water?

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
Okay, i guess then i should rephrase my question into would the LX2's light be more intense than the light from the olight T20?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, could be either. Doesn't make a difference how many lumens each one outputs. As I said earlier, an 80 lumen light can be brighter than a 200 lumen light. Lumens alone is no indication of brightness.

Besides absolute output, brightness depends on how the output is focused/concentrated. To give you a example, take a very floody light (like a Zebralight headlamp) that has say 150+ lumens, and a throwy flashlight of similar output. Try to read a street sign on a dark night at a distance of say 200 feet with first the ZL and then with the flashlight. Which do you think will make the sign appear brighter or more "intense"ly lit?

rolexconfuse

Newly Enlightened
lol, okay how about this, Distances up to 60 foot, which would appear to be brighter, appear to give more light intensity? The sure fire LX2 or the olight T20? Which would light up small area better?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to know for sure is to have both lights side-by-side and measure the intensity with a light meter - units will be Lux. If both lights have the same actual OTF output in lumens, the more throwy (concentrated, tighter spot) one will have a higher lux reading (appear brighter).

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your arguing lumens vs lux. As I once heard it explained. If you pour some sugar on a table the total amount of sugar would be the lumens. How high the sugar is would be the lux.

In my experience both would be around the same brightness. I beleive the LX2 may be slightly brighter.

Bill

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, he's asking which light can throw better, not which has the most lumens.

rolexconfuse,

After more reading it seems the LX2 would have better throw (intensity) than the T20 for distance spotting.

This is my reasoning, bear with me:

According to Selfbuilts review here(scroll down to the scores) we see the Olight T20 (Q5) have a maximum throw of (68 score)4650 lux.

According to Selfbuilts review of the Nitecore extreme here we see the Nitecore extreme have a maximum throw of (72 score)5150 lux.

Ok, so the Nitecore Extreme out throws the T20 by a little bit.

Look at these beamshots that show the Surefire LX2 easily outhrowing the Nitecore Extreme.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245852

Last edited: