I'm in a bind, advice?

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Here is my situation, any advice/insight would be appreciated:

I recently shipped a light via USPS Priority to a European country. The shipping department of the unit that I work for took care of the shipping for me. In an error, they did not follow my directions and DID NOT get insurance or tracking on the package, I made the buyer aware of this. It has been about 3 weeks and the buyer says he has not received the package. I have no way to verify whether or not it was actually shipped successfully, it was lost, etc. What should I do? I feel bad about the potential that the package was lost in transit; but I'm also out a very good light, I might as well have thrown it in the garbage. I even had my return address very clearly labeled on the package, if there was an error, wouldn't it come back to me eventually?
Some of you that have dealt with me in transactions can all vouch that I have always shipped very quickly, and that I have been more than reliable. Advice?
OC

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Especially this time of year with increased mail volume, I would expect it to take longer than normal. I don't know if all of the UK postal strikes are over, and backlog cleared out, but I sent a package to a guy in Indonesia and I was being hit up with him protesting non-receipt, and I think 5-6 weeks after I shipped, he admitted receiving it. I will NEVER ship to Indonesia again. I likely won't ship to anyone outside the USA unless they pay for the very expensive Express Mail with tracking.

On the other hand, if you and the buyer had an agreement to ship with tracking, and your handing it off to someone who failed to do that....that is on you, and you should refund him if you both agree enough time has passed.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
That's a tough spot man....I can tell from all the posts of yours I have read that you seem to be a stand up guy- what carrier/shipping service was used? It might still show up considering how busy it is this time of year.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
That's the direction I'm heading in Lux, I'm going to head over to the post office tomorrow to ship out a few things, and ask about missing package return/claims.

What do the rest of you think?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
me too...our end of the pond does not seem to be the most problematic- I guess that is why so many of us only sell CONUS. I would wait 6-8 weeks or as long as you feel is reasonable before abandoning hope of delivery.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would leave it a few more weeks before considering it lost. I've had lights from the US take four weeks to get to me in the UK, but with the christmas post it would take longer.

On the other hand I've had 700 foot of paracord sent from the US in a big box and it got to me in four days! I made the order on a Friday evening and it arrived Monday, fantastic!

I have to say, if you and the buyer had agreed on a method of postage and you say it's gone via another method, it looks like it's down to you.

Try to keep comms going with your buyer, i may well turn up after many weeks, so keep those fingers crossed.

Niconical

Enlightened
If it was sent priority, you should have the customs number.

It's not tracking as such, but it can tell you that it was accepted, departed, then arrived in destination country, and if it was stopped in that country's customs.

I don't know where you might get a copy of the number though, maybe on the payment receipt?

jaundice

Enlightened
I agree with LuxLuthor. If the buyer gave you money with which to buy insurance, and for whatever reason it didn't happen, you effectively self-insured the package. However, I think it's reasonable to wait a bit longer to see if it shows up.

This is a big reason why I always put a delivery confirmation on packages I send. Then there's no "he said/she said" on whether it was delivered or not.

-John

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would sit tight for a couple of more weeks.
I have had lights take anything between 3 days to 6 weeks
to go thru the postal system

big vin

Newly Enlightened
If he has asked and paid for ins. and it is sent without you should give the guy his money back, but i should at least wait a minimum of 8 weeks to be sure.

I have sent a package of P7 over the pond to the usa ( i am on the other side) and it took almost 7 weeks. I specificaly asked the guy to pay for insurance and tracking but he wasn't interested because of the price. When it didn't arrive after 4 weeks orso i would get an email every single day asking me where the package is, very annoying. When it eventually arrived he didn't even let me know, the retard. From then on i only ship overseas using tracking nr.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Thanks again for the words guys!
It's been about too long to pretend this package is going to magically show up in the mail, so I just returned the buyers cash.
I guess everything I mail out now will require DC and Insurance.
Case Closed

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

You clearly are one of the good guys. The citizens in your precinct should be proud to have you serving them. :thumbsup:

Let's hope that the buyer has enough integrity to return the money if the package does show up.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That totally sucks. If it is what I think you sold you had a back up in the states to buy it, but you were nice enough to ship out of state.
CHEERS TO OFFICERCAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Officercamp - Sorry to hear it never turned up, you have done the right thing.

Yes you may have lost some money, but you have gained the great respect of many people in doing so. A respect (and trust) that wil last for many years on this board.

Chin up old boy, worst things have happened at see you know :)