Fenix PD30+R4 or Quark 123X2?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
So.. CPF'ers narrowed it down to these two CR123 lights. I know the Quarks have the R5 and the Fenix is an R4, any real difference in light output, tint, etc?

I would estimate the OTF for the Fenix as about the same as the Quark's, 265 emitter lumens vs the Quark's 235 OTF lumens?

I am leaning a little more towards the Fenix, having owned 2 in the past, plus David at 4Sevens is a real nice guy! However, I can get the Fenix for about $10 less plus batteries and free shipping (pretty much a wash in terms of price vs the Quark 123x2)!!

Help a fellow CPF'er decide!? :thinking:

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Re: Fenix PD30+ R4 or Quark 123X2?

Help a fellow CPF'er decide!? :thinking:

Have you compared sizes? Maybe that would give you a basis for a decision depending on how you plan to use the light?

For EDC smaller might be better for example.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Re: Fenix PD30+ R4 or Quark 123X2?

Have you compared sizes? Maybe that would give you a basis for a decision depending on how you plan to use the light?

For EDC smaller might be better for example.
Well, the Fenix is 118mm and the Quark's 4.5" so they're about equal in length. I'll use them for around the house, etc., nothing special..

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Do you like the looks of one light over the other? I find that can make a good tie-breaker if I'm trying to decide between a couple of lights. Do you plan to carry the light with a clip? One of the clip designs might be better for you. Also, the Quark will have that moon-mode which I personally prefer, but it does have a lot more modes in the bezel-loose state as a result of that and the addition of beacon mode. So if you want simplicity the Fenix would be better. If you can afford it, seriously buy both. That would help you learn what you like, and then you've got two cool lights to play with, instead of one.

It sounds like you were planning to buy the Fenix from 4sevens, so wouldn't the Quark actually be cheaper there? :thinking:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you get 20% off at flashlightgear I don't see them on the CPF member discount page? Also are you sure they do have the R4 in stock?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
How do you get 20% off at flashlightgear I don't see them on the CPF member discount page? Also are you sure they do have the R4 in stock?

Once you sign up, you'll be emailed by the store. Just reply/confirm registration/sign-up. You go to the site, login with your email addy and the prices (20% off) are reflected when you select your torch! :twothumbs

The website does say that they have them in stock?

@Saint_Dogbert.. I do like the looks of the Fenix and the clip is not really an issue or the number of modes.. These lights will not be used used in any "tactical" or work-related setting, I just like these powerful, small lights!

To complicate matters, I am also considering the EagleTAC T20C2 or P20C2!!:sick::thinking: :grin2:

And no, can't do the CPF-mantra.."get both or all"!! :laughing: Funds are tight..:sigh:

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just orderd a pd30 r4 last night. i already have the quark 123x2 r5 tactical, i like the size/output so much i needed another light like it :twothumbs

and will try to do review/comparisions the best i can, with beamshots too i hope.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
i just orderd a pd30 r4 last night. i already have the quark 123x2 r5 tactical, i like the size/output so much i needed another light like it :twothumbs

and will try to do review/comparisions the best i can, with beamshots too i hope.

Good man!

BMRSEB

Enlightened

Looking forward to your reviews, beamshots, etc. Especially since I definitely want to get one of those lights!!!

Will you reply in this thread or in the reviews section??

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark 2x123 will fuction at all levels on a 17670 and a 18650 body is available. Moonmode is another reason to choose the Quark. The forward clickie is very nice also.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
both would probably be sweet lights.

i do love the moon mode for when i just wake up in the middle of the night and need some light. its awsome..or in the movie theater when i dont wanan draw attention and i need a light.

isnt 4seven's store not too far from where u live in atlanta?

i wonder if they have a store front....?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
..isnt 4seven's store not too far from where u live in atlanta?

i wonder if they have a store front....?
Funny, you mention that... I knew David way back when he actually sold his lights from his basement! I went to his house and purchased my then new Fenix L0D-CE and Fenix PD Rebel, nice guy!!

I think I'll support him once again and get the Quark 123x2!!:thumbsup:
Maybe, the Fenix PD30+R4 as well?? :shrug: :whistle:

malojie

Newly Enlightened
i bought one of those quark turbo 123x2 from 4sevens, ive had a few smaller lights before but am really blew away by the quality and output of this small flashlight,:faint: i wasnt expecting it to be this good!:D

i dont no much about the others but for this one, i highly recommend:clap: