Brief reviews of torches for running

LeifUK

Enlightened
I use a torch for cross country running at night, and it is important that I can see the ground directly ahead of me, to avoid tripping over tree roots and other objects. I thought people with similar interests might appreciate a few very brief comments on some lights I have owned, as I found few relevant comments online.

Maglite LED 2AA: A well made compact light, quite suitable for running along forest/wood tracks at night, even with no moon or other lighting. I've owned one for a year or two, used it often, and I like it. It is bright enough to be useful, but I would not want anything dimmer. I know from first hand experience that the light will cut out abruptly when the batteries drop to a certain level.

Petzl Tikka XP: This was my biggest disappointment. It is sold to runners, and I was told that it is fine. It isn't. As far as I cam concerned the light is far too dim to be of use except perhaps on roads where you know the ground is even. In woods it is a liability. It has several modes: low, medium, high and turbo, and a strobe. The Turbo IS bright enough for cross country running, but it only works when you press in a tiny button, and there is no way I can keep doing that for more than a minute due to severe discomfort: the button is tiny, spring loaded, and needs a firm press. The torch has a small diffuser that can be slid across the lens. That works well, producing a wide flood. Pity about the poor output though. If someone knows how to hack it so that turbo can be kept on, please tell me, as that would make this otherwise well made unit usable. That is assuming that it can last at least an hour on turbo mode as that is the length of a run.

Fenix L2D Q5: Brilliant. I've just come back from a run where I used it on high mode, and a rough guess suggests that on high it outputs at least twice as much light as the Maglite. Whereas with the Maglite you choose to illuminate the ground in front of your feet, or the way ahead, with the Fenix you can do both at the same time. Apparently high mode outputs about 100 lumens. Turbo mode is activated by rotating the front while in low, medium or high mode, and it is very very bright. According to the manual turbo mode should not be used for more than 10 minutes at a time. I'm not sure about that. The tail switch uses half presses to toggle between modes: low, medium, high and strobe, or SOS and turbo, depending on the rotational position of the front unit. One oddity is that when in turbo mode, rotate the front unit and the unit goes to low mode, not high mode, even if you went from high to turbo. That is a small design flaw in my opinion. The user interface is okay. Not good, not bad, just okay. I had some trouble using the half press when wearing gloves. To be honest I would prefer a rotating switch even though that would sacrifice the high level of water resistance. Oh yes, and the build quality is excellent: the finish is far far higher than I expected from a Chinese brand, and the general build looks good too.

As for the other aspects such as running time on each mode, detailed comments on the styling and design etc, well there are loads of excellent reviews out there, and I see no need to add anything. I just thought that comments relating to running might be of value.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a classical Hedlamp (the Petzl You have) is not meant for high power application, because they are built to give light for long time.
Thats what the main customer group wants - loooong runtime, maybe with no weight as the 1st point.
They were not built for runners, are not sold to runners, dont work for runners - just like any other headlamp of this size/weight/output class.
It is just with the oncoming of bright led, that this is slowly changing and real output monsters for the head mount are built.

But comparing a handheld flashlight - totally other application - is not ok.
Sure the L2D was great, thats the reason it, its earlier and later brothers, together with - now - a number of other makes, sell like hot cakes.
But if one wants, it is - again now - no problem to find lights easily knocking the Fenix out, just like the Fenix did to the Petzl.

LeifUK

Enlightened
a classical Hedlamp (the Petzl You have) is not meant for high power application, because they are built to give light for long time.
Thats what the main customer group wants - loooong runtime, maybe with no weight as the 1st point.
They were not built for runners, are not sold to runners, dont work for runners - just like any other headlamp of this size/weight/output class.

I have to correct you there. Petzl are sold to runners in the UK. I was sold one in a shop specifically for running gear, by staff who run and use them.

It is just with the oncoming of bright led, that this is slowly changing and real output monsters for the head mount are built.

But comparing a handheld flashlight - totally other application - is not ok.
Sure the L2D was great, thats the reason it, its earlier and later brothers, together with - now - a number of other makes, sell like hot cakes.
But if one wants, it is - again now - no problem to find lights easily knocking the Fenix out, just like the Fenix did to the Petzl.

I'm not sure what point you are making.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also use some of my lights for running & cycling.

I can imagine that the L2DQ5 would be a nice choice for a running light.

You really do need a wide angle beam. A 'thrower' with a narrow beam doesn't provide you with enough spill light at your feet is unsuitable. You find yourself pointing the light down the whole time. This tends to blind you with super bright light until you point the light straight ahead again.:(

My favourite running light is my Malkoff MD3 - M60W MC-E - Hi/Low ring - Now that is an excellent combo!!! - a little heavier that ideal but with 400 lumens of warm flood, you can see EVERYTHING!!!

The low mode is great for close up use when you are checking your laces or your body for that great big spider who's web you just ran through!!

Other runners or cyclists will marvel at all the light coming out of your hand held light - I know, I have had other cyclists comment regarding the extreme light output & ask me where to get one.

James....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Romisen RC-29 might make a nice running light. Very small, and can put out a big smooth circle of light perfect for keeping an eye on the road a head. Want to check out something far away? It can help you out there too.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing some of your experiences. :welcome:

I can't run much more than a mile anymore, but I ride a bike on a canal side trail 4-5 times a week in the summer. I enjoy the thrill of riding after dark and the chance to use my flashlights, and it is cooler also.

I also clicked on your thread because my son is a runner (2:27 marathon) and it caught my interest.

Whereas with the Maglite you choose to illuminate the ground in front of your feet, or the way ahead, with the Fenix you can do both at the same time.

This is exactly the reason I love my Fenix L2D Q5. I'm traveling even faster than you (on my bike), yet it still throws far enough out ahead for comfort, yet I can also see directly in front of my tire with just a glance. I have found the "medium" is actually bright enough.

I had some trouble using the half press when wearing gloves. To be honest I would prefer a rotating switch even though that would sacrifice the high level of water resistance.

I realized that you were probably holding your Fenix after I read this. I actually use the Nite-Ize headband. This is also the reason I prefer the clickly UI while riding, I like to keep at least one hand on the handlebars!
It is almost impossible to twist the benzel head while riding while it is in the headband, but the half-press is easy.

Do runners ever use headlights while running? My son borrowed one of mine once, and when he returned from his run he said it didn't work out. It bounced off his head I guess.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to correct you there. Petzl are sold to runners in the UK. I was sold one in a shop specifically for running gear, by staff who run and use them.
now, ;) what do You want to hear?
I have - yet - never seen any shop guy in outdoor/running/hiking/... shops who have any clue regarding lights,
and - thats what I meant - the maker never mentionned running.
That a shop will sell anything - even when not working for that application - to someone who maybe will purchase it, is normal, isnt it?
Petzl still built most of their lights for backpacker/climber.

Dedicated headlamps for runners --> Silva!
That maker offers and markets lights for running for years now.
Other possibility: bike lamps, if one wants to bring the big battery packs along

Princeton Tech Apex might also be worth to look at,
or Streamlight Argo HP (thats my helmet light for mtb-riding, but it is less bright than Apex at full)

LeifUK

Enlightened
You really do need a wide angle beam. A 'thrower' with a narrow beam doesn't provide you with enough spill light at your feet is unsuitable. You find yourself pointing the light down the whole time. This tends to blind you with super bright light until you point the light straight ahead again.:(

My favourite running light is my Malkoff MD3 - M60W MC-E - Hi/Low ring - Now that is an excellent combo!!! - a little heavier that ideal but with 400 lumens of warm flood, you can see EVERYTHING!!!

I checked out the Malkoff and I see what you mean.

I also bought a Fenix diffuser which clips onto the front of the L2D. Not the wand, but a small flip up 'filter'. I will try it on the next run as it removes the hot spot, and creates more spill, though frankly the L2D does have a fairly broad beam, albeit nothing like that of your Malkoff.

I have - yet - never seen any shop guy in outdoor/running/hiking/... shops who have any clue regarding lights,
and - thats what I meant - the maker never mentionned running.

You could well be right though the shop staff were runners, who did 1.5 hour runs through forests. I think they were giving honest opinions. For example, they examined my running style and then recommended specific kinds of running shoes with a set of inserts (inserts purchased elsewhere hence no incentive to mis-sell), and they cured my serious knee problems. Still, I think we agree that the Tikka XP is not suitable. Perhaps they had never seen proper lights. :)

One aspect that I did not mention is that pupil dilation varies from one person to the next. 4mm is the low end and 7mm the other extreme, giving a ratio of 1:3 for the pupil areas. And the density of light receptors in the eye varies too. So perceptions of a given light can vary for genuine physiological reasons.

No doubt I might try the torch as a bike light at some stage.

LeifUK

Enlightened
a

I needed a light that would burn at about 100 lumens for at least 1 hour 15 minutes using readily obtainable rechargeables batteries, which really meant AA cells. I originally ordered an LED Lenser P7, but a few minutes later I found reviews here and elsewhere, which explained that LL specs are misleading. (That is a polite way of putting it. I think they are dishonest though I guess they must be legal. :thinking:) I also realised that AAA cells are not a good idea (low power). So although the LL light looks quite good, I thought there were better alternatives for similar prices, and I was able to cancel the order. Hence the L2D. Fortunately I was able to find sensible information on this forum and elsewhere.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
I run several times a week at night and although I live in the city, I take a AA sized light(Nitecore D10, Defender Infinity, Jetbeam Jet-I, AKO-Ray K-106, Tiablo TA-1, etc) and hold it in my hand while running to light up dark areas along the exercise paths; which is sadly only about 1/3 of a mile.

If I had to use one to see because it was pitch black. I'd use a Novatac , LiteFlux LF3XT or something with a similar beam pattern; i.e: A floody pattern but with a nice bright hot-spot & smooth transition from hot-spot to spill with enough throw to see a few dozen meters ahead.

As long as it's not a dedicated thrower with a narrow spill (like the Tiablo TL-1, Nitecore EXTREME, etc) It should work well.

Although the O.P. was about running...

When hiking in pitch black trails, the best combo I've tried BY FAR has been the LiteFlux LF3XT clipped on the shoulder strap of my backpack, angled slightly downward to illuminate the ground ahead of me and a thrower in hand to light up distant objects.

Hope this helps.

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
Regarding Petzl's suitability for runners. Naturally they want to sell their headlamps to as many different user groups as possible and on their website they have an interesting section where you select your use/activity and they come up with a light for you. For general street running they suggest the 40 lumen Tikka 2 and for trail running the 140 lumen Myo RXP. I think all their lights apart from the Myo RXP are unregulated and they also have useful info telling you the output (in terms of throwing distance) which drops quite badly from maximum after just 30 minutes in a lot of cases at the higher outputs.

As for my own personal experiences, I've been trying out different options with the couple of lights I have for night time trail running lately with regards to required output and either head mounted or hand held. Overall I think head mounted beats hand held.. hand held does give the terrain more depth by throwing more shadow and works better in mist but if you're on terrain where you need your arms out for balance it's not so good as you try to keep the beam where you want it and just generally feels a little unnatural and restricting to me. The 100 odd lumens high mode of my L2D with a home made diffuser seems suitable for just about anything.. still enough throw to pick out path junctions up ahead and enough light to show rocks at your feet without shining directly at them. Nice to have the option of using it without the diffuser once in a while too to shine down unfamiliar side trails to see if they look ok. But I feel comfortable with 50 diffused lumens on easier trails. Nice to switch it all off and just run by moonlight too if it's bright enough. So all in all I think a versatile light is the key. And for head mounting the lighter the better... I mostly bought the L2D as a bike light but for running when I'm not out for so long I might get a single AA body tube for it.

BSBG

Enlightened
There are several posts about running headlamps in the "headlamps" forum. For road running, 10-50 lumens is about all you need and there are tons of options. In the woods, depending on your speed, more may be better :D.

I use a Black Diamond Zenix IQ with an SSC P4 swapped for the stock Luxeon. It is about a 10 minute mod and can be done by anyone with s soldering iron. Output is approximately doubled - no maybe 100 lumens on high. These were discontinued a year or so ago, but some may still be around.

I combine this with a Surefire L2 with an MC-E in it - two levels of pure white flood.

The combination of the headlamp and handheld is widely used in the ultra-running community as it allows easy hands free use, except when more range or shadow delineation is needed.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I run at night, 4-10 miles usually, sometimes more, and I prefer more lumens available if needed to see better as I get tired. I do not have an interest of wearing a headlamp, I use a handheld. I also use small hand straps that hold the lights tightly on my hand. I also find that the 14500 batteries can easily be topped off, so I know I'm running with a full battery each time, and I'm confident enough to not bring a back up now. Here's what I own and have used for running, starting with my current light:

1) Quark Mini AA R5 on 14500: Medium is pretty bright on 14500 (maybe 40 real lumens OTF) and runs 3 1/2 hours. High is about 200 real OTF lumens, but only lasts 38 minutes, and much of that is spill and wide spot. I normally leave it on medium and can easily and very quickly twist it to High when needed. The wide spot is awesome, allowing less eye fatigue as I don't see dark areas then light areas as I run. With the larger spot, it's easier to keep my eyes "in the light". The huge bright spill is great for seeing all around, but be careful as it is easily to bling others as you go by. The throw on Medium is not strong enough to see far up ahead, but being able to switch quickly to High is good. On regular AA it would work ok, but not as bright and throw would be less. And this light is tiny and weighs very little.
2) Quark Ti AA Tactical R5 on 14500: This is a great running light with High lasting 2 1/2 hours and being very bright, and I can always bump up to Max, but not really needed. Tactical on/off is great especially at dusk or running near lighted areas to switch on and off. Big spot, nice spill, good throw. Great mix. Being Ti, this light is heavy, but not an issue for me. On regular AA is still ok, 14500 is definitely better.
3) Nitecore Defender Infinity: On 14500 or Lithium Primary, about the same brightness. Alkaline is close too. Tactical button is good, switch easily between Medium and Max with a head twist. There is a 1/2 second lag. This was my night running light for most of my training for the last half marathon until R5's came out. Medium sized spot, has decent throw.
4) Akoray k-106 on 14500: Great throw, very bright. Too small a spot for running. Levels are too complicated if switching, as you go through a loop of 5 levels. Better for bike and don't touch. Dirt cheap.
5) Fenix PD20: with its CR123, this is pretty bright. The spot is a bit small though, and too many levels make it a littler complicated. But this is a good bike light with multiple levels.
6) Firefly 3 (FF3) on RCR123: This was my 1st decent running light that I was happy with, and got me started on night running. I used to carry an extra battery and often had to switch in the dark.

I hope this helps with ideas.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
I think they were giving honest opinions. For example, they examined my running style and then recommended specific kinds of running shoes with a set of inserts (inserts purchased elsewhere hence no incentive to mis-sell), and they cured my serious knee problems.

Most folks in running shops know more about lights than shoes! LOL

They only cured your knee problem temporarily. Once your feet weaken even more due to the extra support, you will have problems again. Been there, done that, several times.

The fossil record shows that the human foot hasn't evolved a bit in two million years. It's a time-tested design in a very high-stakes environment. Now some shoe salesman tells you it's FUBARed? Please.

High-heeled sneakers have been around only 40 years. In that time, the injury rate for runners has skyrocketed. It's no coincidence that the countries where people can afford "good" shoes growing up are no longer competitive in running. Or that back before Bill Bowerman's invention, the wealthier countries were kicking butt running in their little leather slippers.

Read "Born to Run". Check out this site: http://runningbarefoot.org/

Note that I'm not suggesting the shop owner or employees are dishonest, just misguided, like the folks who recommend M@glites. But just because their opinion is honest, that doesn't mean it's correct.

Gordon

LeifUK

Enlightened
Most folks in running shops know more about lights than shoes! LOL

They only cured your knee problem temporarily. Once your feet weaken even more due to the extra support, you will have problems again. Been there, done that, several times.

The fossil record shows that the human foot hasn't evolved a bit in two million years. It's a time-tested design in a very high-stakes environment. Now some shoe salesman tells you it's FUBARed? Please.

High-heeled sneakers have been around only 40 years. In that time, the injury rate for runners has skyrocketed. It's no coincidence that the countries where people can afford "good" shoes growing up are no longer competitive in running. Or that back before Bill Bowerman's invention, the wealthier countries were kicking butt running in their little leather slippers.

Read "Born to Run". Check out this site: http://runningbarefoot.org/

Note that I'm not suggesting the shop owner or employees are dishonest, just misguided, like the folks who recommend M@glites. But just because their opinion is honest, that doesn't mean it's correct.

Gordon

I cannot comment on your post except to state my own experience. I was for years using 'bog standard' running shoes bought from a well known sports gear retailer. For some reason my knees started getting sore, to the point where I was having difficulty walking up and down stairs. I did not associate the pain with running, though I had to stop running as a result. I saw a doctor, and as is usually the case, she was totally useless, saying that there was no damage. In my experience UK doctors are only good for acute injuries such as a heart attack, or diagnosing diabetes, and even then they often get it wrong. Anyway, a colleague mentioned that he had been prescribed inserts for his shoes by a foot specialist. So I went to a proper running gear shop, where my step was examined, and they recommended the type of shoe I needed with an insert. The latter stops me from twisting the knee. I am sceptical by nature, but I decided to see how the new shoes would do. All the staff in the shop were runners, and in their mid 40s. I started running again, and over the last year my knees have fully recovered, and I can run 8 miles or so with ease, although I can no longer bound up flights of stairs, as I did in my 20's.

I agree with the shop staff who said that the old shoes were causing an unnatural running style, causing the soft tissue in the knees to inflame. It may well be that running barefoot would not have led to sore knees, but to be honest I would never run barefoot in the UK due to the rubbish on the ground. It could be quite dangerous. And I would not want to step on a sharp upward pointing tree root resulting from someone 'clearing' the path.

I wear ordinary clothes for running, but I do think good shoes are very important. As is a good torch in the winter. (See, I got back on topic.)

Anyone know who started night running? I started out of necessity, and did not realise that it is a popular activity. Now I see other people out at night in the countryside.

By the way, the Maglite I use is the older LED one, not the latest with multiple light levels. I do think it is a good light for the price.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
This is a very cool, and very helpful thread!:cool:

I just began running about 3 months ago, and completed my first road race of 7.65km last month. I do most of my running on lighted streets or at the local lighted track at the highschool. But, nonetheless, most of my running occurs at night due to my work schedule.

I do find myself using lights for hiking at night, which I started about 9 months ago (the hiking led to the running :party:). I use an Inova X5 for that task, with a SF G2L on my belt in case I need more power. I am looking to get a 2-stage light with super-simple interface so that I can carry one light instead of two. I'm trying to hold out for the new SF LX1, but will likely end up with the LX2, as I'm sick of waiting and the E1B isn't bright enough on low IMO.

Back to the running, I will need to begin looking at some of the options described above. The headlights are sounding like a good idea. But I would like to look at something that I might be able to clip onto my waist band, as something on my head will likely annoy me. The prospect of a waistband light also interests me from a safety aspect if I can carry a second light facing backwards. I wear a reflective vest, but you can never be too careful with the distracted suburbanites around here, so a 50-60 lumen fast strobe would be a good investment to keep me from being flattened by a Land Rover.:laughing:

Again, thanks for the discussion. This is very helpful.

Tremendo

Enlightened
a safety aspect if I can carry a second light facing backwards.
I wear some reflective clothing, but I feel pretty confident that my light moving around on the ground in front of me helps draw a lot of attention for cars coming up behind me as well. But I make sure my son on his bike always has a back facing blinking red light. Personally, I'd go red in the back, and not use any sort of beam, as that would send off the wrong warning message IMO.

LeifUK

Enlightened
I presume people here carry a backup light? I remember my Laglite cutting out suddenly when the batteries were exhausted and I was several miles into forest.

Well, I used the Fenix again this evening on turbo, and frankly anything similar would serve well for running. I would love to use a Fenix TK40 or similar, and freak out anyone I bumped into on the run. :naughty: (But not blind them, of course.)