Need advice on flashlights for police unit

frank777

Enlightened
Well, I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads, so maybe someone can point me to the right one or give me some advice here.

A few years ago, I gave a police officer friend of mine a VB-16 that has the two button brightness control on one side, and the small red button for strobe on the other side. Now 5 guys on his unit are asking for a quotation to get one. The problem is, I cannot find the same old VB-16 with the separate button for strobe. I am considering recommending the Novatac 85T or Fenix TA20 as alternates, but they want a price around $50. Basically they just need something bright that has easy and quick access to a strobe function. But they definitely don't want the standard issue control that cycles through all the levels to get to strobe.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Well, I'm sure this has been discussed on other threads, so maybe someone can point me to the right one or give me some advice here.

A few years ago, I gave a police officer friend of mine a VB-16 that has the two button brightness control on one side, and the small red button for strobe on the other side. Now 5 guys on his unit are asking for a quotation to get one. The problem is, I cannot find the same old VB-16 with the separate button for strobe. I am considering recommending the Novatac 85T or Fenix TA20 as alternates, but they want a price around $50. Basically they just need something bright that has easy and quick access to a strobe function. But they definitely don't want the standard issue control that cycles through all the levels to get to strobe.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

I gift all my Cop friends Surefires, they love them!

The 6P is still popular, and I would advise the LED version. I recently spoke to a Rep. at Surefire, and he said there is a reason they still make the 6P...Cops love them!

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,

RL

frank777

Enlightened
I thought the Surefire 6P was single mode, no strobe. They make a 6P with a strobe?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont think that the previous post answered your question.

The only light that i personally know that comes close is the Olight M30 Triton, take a look at the review here for a better explanation of how the interface works.

hope this is of some help.

dougie

Enlightened
I think RedLed was making a general suggestion rather than specifically answering your question. FYI Surefire 6P's still only come as a either a 60 lumen incandescent or 80 lumen LED and neither has multimode or flash.

Of course there are aftermarket accessories which will allow strobe function on either of the above lights but you will pay extra and the whole setup would certainly be a lot more than the $50 which your colleagues want to pay. I am UK based and don't know the availabilty of foreign made lights in you neck of the woods but would guess that there are few (if any) which now meet the specification you have stated. Hopefully many more folks will chip in with suggestions that may be of help. Anyway best wishes to you and you colleagues at this time of year and stay safe.:)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think RedLed was making a general suggestion rather than specifically answering your question.

yeah, see that now, my apologies if it came across slightly harsh, spent too many hours this past week with evasive subjects, refusing to answer a question directly. :D occupational hazard

jslappa

Enlightened
Another great thing about the Quark, is that it allows you to use the light at 0.2 lumens. That's bright enough to read a map or do other things without alerting others that you are there. Good for vehicle surveilance, among other things. You don't want to be in a vehicle watching an address for a suspect to show up, and then whip out your 6P to take another look at the photo of the guy.