What is your lux reading for your L4?

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire em' up, and take a reading. I know they will vary. Post it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lux at 1 meter: 631, 591, 584 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 5 and got the following max readings:

1. 606 sl. green - sold
2. 569 bluish white - keeper
3. 561 green - no gasket, sent to SureFire
4. 544 green - no gasket, sent to SureFire
5. 539 white - no gasket, sent to SureFire

Paul

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Are lux figures low because of dispersion of light? Example, Blaster III at 3.000+, but tightly focused.

Bill

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Are lux figures low because of dispersion of light? Example, Blaster III at 3.000+, but tightly focused.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My KL4 reads 540 lux, but obviously puts out a Lot of bright white light -- just diffused. Want throw? Wait for the KL6...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,

Lets' hope your meter is correct, in which case you have a gem of a L4. Is your light meter a Meterman LM 631? I am under the impression that's what we all use.

Their accuracy is +/- (3% + 10 digits). If you were using an LM 631 your error would be limited to 21 + 10 = 31, meaning your light could be as low as 667 lux. My brightest could have been as high as 606 + 18 + 10 = 634 lux. Thus we have to conclude that yours is indeed brighter -- by probably 15% but perhaps as much as 25% or as little as 5%.

Am I doing the calculations correctly?

Paul

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn´t we expect the reviewers to all possibly get nice white and bright ones ?

Honi soit qui mal y pense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course. Didn't think of that.

Klaus: That was in response to your first sentence. I have none to the second. Don't even recognize the language -- looks like a mixture.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
E. Cobham Brewer 1810–1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

Hon'i

Honi soit qui mal y pense (Evil be [to him] who thinks evil of this). The tradition is that Edward III. gave a grand court ball, and one of the ladies present was the beautiful Countess of Salisbury, whose garter of blue ribbon accidentally fell off. The king saw a significant smile among the guests, and gallantly came to the rescue. "Honi soit qui mal y pense" (Shame to him who thinks shame of this accident), cried the monarch. Then, binding the ribbon round his own knee, he added, "I will bring it about that the proudest noble in the realm shall think it an honour to wear this band." The incident determined him to abandon his plan of forming an order of the Round Table, and he formed instead the order of the "Garter." (Tighe and Davis: Annals of Windsor.)

One entry found for honi soit qui mal y pense.

Main Entry: ho·ni soit qui mal y pense
Pronunciation: o-nE-sw[a']-kE-m[a']l-E-päns
Usage: foreign term
Etymology: French
: shamed be he who thinks evil of it -- motto of the Order of the Garter

BTW: George Bush senior and Margareth Thatcher are both members of the Order of the Garter

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I got a dud.... 490 lux, and Klaus, the KL4 head was exchanged by PK ( My L4 came from TW, and was a bit on the green side).

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klaus,

Fascinating. And there is real meat in the meaning. My way of saying it: The wrong I perceive in an other exists within my mind.

Many thanks.

Paul

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@TedBear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You might need to set up a review site first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW - I just love that new attavar

Klaus

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I measured some 740 or so lux (forgot the exact number; it's posted here somewhere)...

Quite varied numbers...

edit: 763 Lux on a fresh set of SF123 batts...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done it a few different times, and always with fresh, unbroken-in (virgin) batteries, and all of them hover between 763, the high, and 720, the low... It's pretty consistent to me...

Turbo6

Newly Enlightened
If its between 500-700lux then its not much brighter than a LGI? I'm confused if its a 5watt luxeon should'nt it be brighter than Charlie's LGI that is a 1.2watt Luxeon?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
let me try to answer. I am sure I may left some things.
1. the KL4 is not driven at full power while the LGI is being overdriven. But that does not explain much.
2. the Kl4 uses reflector that produce a bright white spot while LGI uses optics that concentrate the beam into a smaller spot. It might seems that LGI is comparable with Kl4, but the over all light that KL4 produced is way more than LGI. I think this is the main reason.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is driven pretty near spec, as I recall it's at or just a bit more than 4.5Ws... But the thing that lowers its lux reading is the texturized reflector. You have to remember that these types of reflectors, even though it throws a decent beam, is greater at dispersing and smoothing out its hotspot. Thus, you'll see a much wider, flooded and spread out beam that still has a pronounced hotspot.

The few things Mr. Bulk's LGI has going for it is: it is direct driven, at 3.6-4.5V, and it draws as much as 1.7amps at start. That translates to 5+Watts of energy to the LS. Coupled that with an NX05, which is perfect with the Low Domes in transferring the LS dye to the front to project a great beam with a bright hotspot, you get a relatively high Lux reading with the LGI...

I would almost guarantee you that if you had the texturized reflector smoothed out, and the reflector's as smooth as the maglight's, then you'll see a dramatic increase in Lux, probably into the 2500+ lux arena... But the reflector and the wide-spread, spilling beam's what lowers its lux. And because its hotspot's spread out as well, the Lux reading's lower, but remains at that reading for a much wider area than the LGI... That lower lux, however, does not mean it's dimmer, as if you compare the LGI and L4 side by side, the L4 will come out on top as the overall light output champ between the two...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I have also heard of people getting "differently calibrated", for lack of better terminology, LM631s. For example, when it is pitch black and you press the "Peak Hold" button prior to measuring, the numbers on mine rise and stop at 26 or 27. Every time. This is apparently the baseline from which the reading will register when light is detected by the sensor.

Anecdotally, Craig of the LED Museum has an LM631 and we have gotten nearly identical readings from the same lights which I send him for review, if that might count for something.

Owners of some other LM631 units have reported the Peak Hold numbers rising and stopping at well over a hundred. This might explain some of the higher readings...

Want throw? Wait for the KL6.