Mini Aspherical

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing new here, just wanted to share an idea found here from member ma-sha.

The 51 LED 4xAAA Flashlight makes a great host for the 01LAG123 aspherical lens. 52mm 37mm fl. Cree XR-E R2, and the Highly Efficient LED Circuit Board (4V-18V) and a ton of blue glow powder with epoxy.

The heatsink is a piece of round stock aluminum .250"h X 1.076"w. I deanodized the inside of the tailcap and sunk the spring to the bottom to reduce spring tension on the battery pack. I deanodized the snap-ring groove also, (a little oven cleaner and a Q-tip), to provide a ground path using a wire soldered to the snap-ring. The stock switch was a 4 way (on-on-on-off) which I converted to a 2 way by just removing the second leg, essentially (on-off-on-off). To get the proper distance from the lens to the LED, I measured the focal length, and cut a piece of 2" pipe approx. 1/4" long and kept filing it till I achieved the proper focus. I opened up the bezel with a rotary file a bit so the lens sat deeper, and added a o-ring for the lens.

Here's a bunch of pictures of the finished product.

IMG_8004.jpg

A fraction of the size of my DEFT
IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

A ton of blue glow powder and clear epoxy.
IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8006.jpg

Makes a great pocket light!

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
something missing....................beamshots
Oh, sorry I forgot, the light has already left my hands. I was in such a hurry, I didn't even get a chance to get build photos. It was a Christmas present that HAD to get in the mail yesterday.

I'm sure they would look exactly like this one, it's the same exact lens and emitter driven at the same level. This is a picture from a 1D aspherical I made:
IMG_7315.jpg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod! :twothumbs How hard do you push the R2? Is it supposed to run on 4AAA alkaline batteries? :thinking:
The only thing that could make it better is a lens protecting bezel. :wave:

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel obligated to post a photo of his brother :devil:,
dressed in Titanium Color & R2 driven ~1Amp.

img3905r.jpg

img3899l.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod there, can I ask where the 4AAA host can be purchased from please?
If you don't want to post the details you can PM me.

I'm thinking that the outsude dia of 4AAA should be big enough to put a 1C cell in there?

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod there, can I ask where the 4AAA host can be purchased from please?
If you don't want to post the details you can PM me.

I'm thinking that the outsude dia of 4AAA should be big enough to put a 1C cell in there?

It fits a 25500 cell or C cell. I don't have a IMR26500 cell to test, but I believe it fits. If you Google "51 LED Flashlight" there are a TON of sources. I got it from eBay for $10. There is one other one that looked similar that uses 3AA, sounds more like a D size tube.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It fits a 25500 cell or C cell. I don't have a IMR26500 cell to test, but I believe it fits. If you Google "51 LED Flashlight" there are a TON of sources. I got it from eBay for $10. There is one other one that looked similar that uses 3AA, sounds more like a D size tube.

Cheers, I looked on UK eBay and couldn't find any, but then I looked on a well known HK website and found one, and many others like it :twothumbs

I'm going to get one in the new year and start playing. These hosts are great mod fodder. I think we will see many of these turning up on this forum in the coming months.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get any feed back from the recipient?

He was COMPLETELY blown away, "how can you possibly get so much power from 4 X AAA's?". I was really sad to see this one go, the build went perfect and had a great collection of parts.

On the second one built, for my father-in-law, I used inferior parts and leftovers. A 4 mode buck driver (H-L-Beacon-SOS), a XR-E Q5, and a DX 50 mm lens. The lens crapified the whole build. Sure it looked cool, but the beam was neither as defined or focused as a quality MG lens. It was still a huge hit for him, he even went outside to play with it for a half hour or so, but if he would have seen them side-by-side, he would have definitely forked over the dough for the MG lens and a XR-E R2.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
, and a DX 50 mm lens. The lens crapified the whole build. Sure it looked cool, but the beam was neither as defined or focused as a quality MG lens. It was still a huge hit for him, he even went outside to play with it for a half hour or so, but if he would have seen them side-by-side, he would have definitely forked over the dough for the MG lens and a XR-E R2.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Oh bugger, I was looking at that 50mm lens on DX and thinking about using it, never mind.
Back to plan B......