M1 question

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Hey all, among all the surefires i love the M series the best. M6 is too large, M4 is expensive, M1,I don't know what that's for? So i got a M2 & a M3.
Who has a M1 ? and what is that good for? Thanx!

Deviant

Enlightened
M1 is infra red which i guess is meant to be used together with night vision goggles

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
M1 is infra red... that is correct. No visible light output. The M6 is really no bigger than a 2d cell maglight! Except the bezel diamter is 2.5 inches which is a bit bigger.

AlphalphaPB

Newly Enlightened
I've heard that some people can see the output from the M1 and other IR lights, is that because some people have super-eyes or is it because some of the M1's have a slightly less infra-red (and more red) light output?

SureFreak

Newly Enlightened
Alpha, from what I know, you have to be in a pitch black room/area and be looking directly into the 'beam' of the m1 to see it. (this isn't very good for the eyes, I don't think..) Personally the body of the M1 is very pleasing aesthetically (to me) and I would like to see a xenon or LED version of it (double read that pk
wink.gif
)

Regards,
Steve.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an LED! It uses an infra red LED focussed through a lens to make a nice even circular beam.

Some people can see a dim cherry-red glow eminating from certain IR LEDs, usually the shorter wavelength ones.

Staring at any light source is not reccomended, but it won`t do you a lot of harm to have a brief look out of curiosity- it`s just like staring at any low power light. IR light isn`t too dangerous. UV on the other hand....
shocked.gif

I agree, it`d be pretty nifty if they stuck a visible LED in there. Maybe someone round here with the relevant skills will one day?

wink.gif
grin.gif