A newbie's impression of the Preon

ephemere

Newly Enlightened
I received a Preon kit yesterday. Ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Saturday across the country. Very pleased with delivery time.

This is my first LED flashlight and first "serious" flashlight of any kind, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

The red color is beautiful. I've seen some people worried that it might have come out too pink, but it's not pink at all. On the contrary, it's more like crimson. It's a matter of taste, but I really don't think I could improve on this particular choice of red. Very happy with that.

The exterior does indeed feel kind of like rubber. The texture feels somewhat similar to the grippy surface surrounding the sides of my BlackBerry Curve. It has a tech-modern feel that befits the aesthetics of the light. I like it a lot.

The fit and finish is very good. The clicky works perfectly, and the threads all feel good. One issue is that if I'm trying to work the twisty with one hand, and I'm turning it slowly, sometimes the contact will "bounce" and skip a brightness level. This doesn't happen if I use two hands.

As my first "computerized" light, I wasn't sure what I'd think about the UI. Personally, I'd rather it not come on in low every time, and I'd rather not do multiple clicks/twists. I'd prefer a memory so that I could fix it at medium for my most frequent usage scenarios. I'm happy with the Preon for such a small and streamlined light, but for future purchases I might look at other types of UIs such as ring selectors. The Preon's strobe modes are well hidden and I believe very unlikely to be triggered by accident, yet easy to get to if you need them. It's hard for me to imagine that the presence of these strobe modes could be considered a negative in any practical sense.

Running on primaries (I don't yet have low-discharge AAAs), I hear no whine at all on any brightness setting. My ears are very sensitive, so I feel confident saying that there is no detectable whine coming out of this flashlight.

The beam is pretty much what I was expecting after looking at pictures others have posted. Very smooth, with a wide hotspot and very usable spill. It lights up a room pretty well, but I will want to get more of a "thrower" for other applications -- even some indoor applications such as looking 40' down the attic. The Preon 2 is indeed usably brighter than a Preon 1, but if that's the difference between 160 and 70 OTF lumens then what that teaches me for future flashlight purchases is that I shouldn't get tied up in the differences between, say 200 lumens and 240 lumens. Overall, I am pleased with the light output and beam quality.

The light temperature is cold and blue, and I do not like it at all. This is my first LED light, so this can not be considered a mark against the Preon. But what it tells me is that I don't like cool temperatures, even for indoor use. I think all my future purchases will be warmer tints regardless of the application. And I'll probably wait on buying a second Preon head until a warmer tint is available.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Preon kit.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ephemere. My Preon should be here in the next couple of days, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. I just hope my tint is not cold and blue. Indoors, I don't mind a cool tints, but blue is not one of my favs. People see and react to colors differently, and I've seen posts for the Preon's tint from pure white, to green, and now blue. Could be the lottery, or color perceptions, and probably both. I'm hoping for a neutral tint......

scott

Enlightened
That review sure doesn't sound like it's coming from someone who had just purchased their first real LED flashlight! Nice job!

ephemere

Newly Enlightened
I just hope my tint is not cold and blue.

Even though I used the word "blue", I have no reason to believe that the tint of my Preon is anything other than what others might call "pure white". Because this is my first LED flashlight, I have nothing against which to compare it. I do know from past experiences with light bulbs that I very much dislike certain higher (cooler) color temperatures in the house, as they do not render colors the way I'm used to seeing them. So I think the explanation for my comments is very much my personal perception of light. I read somewhere that daylight temperatures look natural when they're bright like the sun, but look unnaturally cool when dimmed. I think that's partly what's going on with the Preon -- and also is one reason why I don't care for the L-M-H sequence where the first light to come out is perceptibly the "bluest" tint.

One thing I can say, though, is that I don't see any hint of green in the light coming out of the Preon at any brightness setting.

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
Not all the preons have the green that some do.

Also, I agree with you that they couldn't have done any better with the red.

enjoy the light

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Great review...You kind of get used to the cooler tints of the LED lights and now I prefer them. I actually dont care for the warmer LED tints and prefer the bright white, towards blue or purple.

Unfortunately my first Preon 1 Ti has a very green tint, so do my first Quarks. I have another one incoming, hoping it will be more to the color range I like...

I love the contours and general feel of the Preon and you cant beat the price for the Ti version.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ephemere

Nice review.
I'd like to see your impressions on your light #100 though :D

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ephemere

Nice review.
I'd like to see your impressions on your light #100 though :D

That won't take an eternity. Reading the review I thought : A flahaholic is born. Too late to tell him to run away... :D

The problem will be to know when it is light #100. I haven't done a counting in the last times, I was too afraid of the result. It's still a few lights to #100, but I fear less than I think. Do I have to coun sold lights as well? :poke:

Ephemere, you don't like the cool tints? Neither do I, but there's much worse than XPG, some XR-E were very bad, realy greenish, really purplish and I won't speak of the early LED times, where purple, blue and green were called white.

The difference in brightness between the Preon1 on high and the Preon2 on high can be called a big difference already, but you always image something else. You are completely right that the difference between 200 and 240 is a very small one. Lumen are the total output of the emitter (or the light, OTF Lumen like 4Sevens lights). It can happen that you think a 200 Lumen thrower is brighter than a 240 Lumen flooder. That's calles LUX, the brightness of a single spot in the beam at a certain difference. What's more, the difference between 240 Lumen and 700 Lumen isn't an enormous one as well, you could compare it to Preon1 versus Preon2.

Back to the tint : You seem to be a candidate for neutral white. Those are tints on the warmer side, reddish or yellowish. If you want a cheap and nice little neutral white, have a look at the Quark MiNi 123/AA. They are limited runs which are the same price as the normal MiNis and still available, will be shipped in 2 weeks. Not as bright as the regular MiNis, but surely very nice! I look forward to your second impression review! :wave:

Daekar

Enlightened
ephemere,

Very nice review! I've been lusting after the Ti Preons ever since I saw them, even though I have a Quark 2xAA that is serving me flawlessly as an EDC. I feel the same way about cool-tint LEDs that you do, the only difference being that neutral-tinted LEDs weren't available when I started down the road to flashaholism. I managed to get one of the neutral-tinted Quarks and I have to say I couldn't be more pleased - the tint is perfect. Colors reveal themselves accurately and I am able to more precisely perceive the shape and depth of objects and scenes than with a less complete-spectrum emitter at slightly greater brightness. The small decrease in output is more than compensated for, in my opinion. About the Preon, though - if they were offered in neutral-white, I would buy at least one - but unfortunately, once you've seen the "light" about neutral-tints, you're ruined... I just can't make myself buy cool tints anymore, no matter what the output bin is.

Are you listening, 4Sevens? If you want my money, make everything available in neutral! :poke::D