SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN100 Project

Mumblypeg

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
This is my first post, so apologies in advance for any redundancies. I have ordered the SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN100 led and am looking to drop it into Aurora AK-P7 12W SSC P7 2-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650). According to reviews on a particular site that has unbelievable shipping delays, this particular flash has a 3 amp draw and a copper pill. I'm thinking some additional thermal paste and possibly copper tape to assist with heat dissipation for the 15 or so minutes before it needs battery changing.
My questions are as follows.
1. Will this work?
2. Any suggestions?..Different driver?
3. Any other advice would be very helpful.

I will post the results whether it works or not. I hope it does though.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bit of a waste of money and time. have you searched this topic? lots of previous mods you can model your plan off of. :thumbsup:

Hello,
SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN100 led
into Aurora AK-P7 12W SSC P7 2-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650).

1. Will this work?

- it can work, sure

2. Any suggestions?..Different driver?

- Drivers work to limit power supplied to the emitter for different output effects. If you want to drain the battery in 15 minutes the driver is just resistance clogging up your electrical path.

3. Any other advice would be very helpful.
- Don't do it. Batteries have maximum discharge perammeters, your plan is probably unsafe with a li-co cell but you will check that of course, and most likely you will select an AW IMR 18650 (and even this won't use half of the emitter's potential).
-LED's produce waste heat and the hotter they become the less lumens they put out. I also have an aurora p7 body and it will only dissipate so much heat. One cpf'er has suggested 30watts waste heat is accepatble amount for your hand to diffuse, if you're trying to pass 60watts your project is limited to burst only, continuous run would burn it up.
-90 is too big, you'll need to modify reflector (open up 4 spots at the base for it to sit down low enough on the -90), beam quality would be higher with a smaller sized emitter.
-search previous -90 projects, and you'll find some challenge supplying them with sufficient current. A single 18650 format light will not get there. Using a -90 is a mis-allocation of resources, you could swap out the -90 for a -50 with no loss of lumens and maybe improvement of beam quality. Maybe put the -90 in a 'D' Mag driven by series of D nihm.

*use an ssr-50, dirrect drive. Cross your fingers and you may break 4a.
post the results whether it works or not. I hope it does though.

Last edited:

Mumblypeg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Linger for the suggestions. I think I'll take another look around for ssr-90 mods before continuing this project.

Many Thanks,

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I don't think this is a bad host. The heatsink in the pill is thinner but it does mate well with the body (much better than a p60 drop-in). There's space for a standard dx/kd driver.
Could use a better reflector, but its decent and eats up the P7 donut with a little shimming off the emitter.

I do recommend taking apart the tailcap running a wire inside the tailspring and connecting it to top of the switch. (Spring is under the brass cap). This is a standard m@g mod type stuff to reduce resistance, but its fun how many people think of openning up one of the kd/dx lights to high current emitters with-out remembering the electrical path starts with that tiny spring.