Improvement modifications to the AA Mini-Mag

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the Mini-Mag is enjoying renewed life as a flashlight modification base (even though many here love to hate it), it seems that it's shortcomings could be addressed, to make it an even better mod base.
Of course, I'm not speaking of that incandescent bulb.
That is addressed in the many available modifications to the standard Mini-Mag, and the reason it is still well received here at CPF.
The mods that come to mind are:

The MadMax
The BadBoy
The Opelec Newbeam
The Inretech 2 AA adaptor &
The MagmaLED

This is the one shortcoming I can think of:

1. The rolling problem. It rolls on any smooth surface with even a very shallow incline.

But, this problem is readily repairable.

Consider an aluminum band, round on the inside, but octagonal on the outside, with a set screw to secure it to the head of the Mini-Mag. My first impression, is that I would prefer it below the lens retaining collar, right on top of the longitudinal ridges on the head. A small indentation could be drilled into this area for the set screw to engage. I don't have a caliper for the measurements, but it may be that such a piece would have to be installed from the bottom of the head.

I would appeal to the machinists here at CPF to fabricate one of these, and see how it works. If it performs well, I'm sure that many members would readily purchase one, especially if the were anodized in the most popular Mag colors, such as black, blue, silver & pewter.

(*EDIT* Actually, this would be equally welcome on a C or D cell Mag. I am more likely to put a Mini-Mag in my pocket while using both hands, or not using the light, and set a C or D cell Mag down under the same circumstances. And as far as this goes, how many other lights would these parts fit on?)

If you have other shortcomings in mind, use this thread to post them, especially if you have a suggested solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea... Whatever the design is, it needs to be smooth enough as to not take away the roundness of the existing May body. The hex or oct idea is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there were several made at once, why couldn't the cost be in the $5-6 range?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think delrin would be the best choice.

i'm not sure if delrin comes in hex shape, but it could be made to just press fit on...

Jace

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if you are interested in one, but the mini mags at home depot comes with a hexagonal shaped black bubber sleeve that you push over the head. This is to hold a colored filter, as well as prevent our rolling-off-the-table problem.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
I have the 'D' size version of that, and I've had the chance to use one of the AA versions. Simple, and it works. It's available as part of an accessory pack, or combined with the light.

I looked on the Mag parts page, and one of the stores listed sell accessories- including the AA accessory kit, for $2.90.

Cheap, easy, and nothing for us to make. It's likely that several of the CPF sponsors also sell these kits- buying from them would be a nice thing to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a couple of drops of puff paint on my minimag's head. This created two small anti-roll bumps without adding much bulk.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those hex bezel protectors do the trick nicely. And they will also fit a Brinkmann Legend/Lambda Illuminator.

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I put a couple of drops of puff paint on my minimag's head. This created two small anti-roll bumps without adding much bulk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lurker,

I'm not familiar with puff paint, can you please explain it?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Puff paint is used by children in making t-shirts and similar clothing related, craft related items. You paint it on and it puffs up (slightly)

I believe that is what Lurker is talking about.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried the Mag anti-roll device, and I'm not really fond of it. I think it's too big, and too easy to come off.

Does anyone have any other shortcomings of the AA Mag in mind?

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
You mean like these things?

fca3fdef.jpg

fca3fdf1.jpg

I made some of these last year by turning down PVC fittings and later cast some more out of epoxy and urethane rubber. The rubber ones worked the best but looked the worst. Both types just jam on and slip off when you don't need them. I may try coloring the the next batch of the rubber ones. I'll post the results when I do.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
whiskypapa3 said
You mean like these things?

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, yep, exactly like those things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other improvements worth considering:
- Kroll tailswitch
- or teflon tape on threads for head, to stabilize it and make it smooth.
- WriteRight on lens to diffuse the beam.
- mylar sheet inside battery compartment to quite rattle.

I would really like to apply some sort of aftermarket ChemKote to the interior, but don't know how to go about it.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Do useful carrying methods count? With the Kroll, most slip-in holsters feel wrong, but the Nite-ize clip-on holder works well, and the Kroll helps keep it from accidentally sliding out, like it might with the stock tailcap.

Another item is replacing the stock lens with a Mineral-Glass version. A UCL for MiniMags might be overkill, though. The stock plastic lens seems to scratch if you look at it wrong, but my Mineral-glass lens still doesn't have a scratch.

Raindrop

Enlightened
I posted in the wrong thread asking if you could drill and tap into the side of the tail cap on one of my next "mini" Minimags for a McGuch brass clip retainer. Some form of a longer allen key threaded assembly that would allow the brass button to thread up against the tailcap would allow for the non roll function plus an easily accessable carry method. The one in the attached jpg from Don McLeish's site shows a 1/4-20 thread but the one they are selling on the sandwich shop that I would like to mount uses a different sized screw.

cell-beltclip.jpg

http://www.dmcleish.com/CPF/holders-mounts/index.html

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
The problem that I am working on is keeping the Madmax and Badboy sandwich in the barrel when changing the batteries. It is no big deal for me but I give lights to others who may not be so careful. So far my best solution is to tape a thin strip of acetate plastic to the inside of the barrel about 2 1/2 inches up from the cap. I put a sharp bend in the exposed end of the plastic that lays flat when next to the battery but sticks out to catch the sandwich when the battery slides out. The distance from the hottest area of the light allows use of plastic instead of metal and the tape also stops battery rattle at the same time. The biggest problem is getting acetate or other plastic thin enough to work and not cause the batteries to become wedged in the barrel. If you try this, be sure make allowance for easy removability of the material before starting or experiment on an old light. My sheet of plastic was from an old cover for a bound booklet sent to me from a chemical supplier. All my other similar sheets are too thick.