what flashlight would be by your side if you were fighting in iraq? and why...

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your unit and your operation mainly.

However, unless I went through Military training and knew exactly what I would be doing I would have no idea.

Also, depending on who you are, you might be limited to certain types of batteries. Some groups get more things than others if you know what I mean. However, those funds don't really exist :)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
My Ra Twisty 85TR would certainly come along. Nothing quite as versatile for working at night than a light that has a low red output in addition to bright white levels.

But If I were to buy a new light today, I'd get a Malkoff MD2 with M60 dropin and 2 level switch.

Arnulf

Enlightened
In a real war where 2 armies are going at it you do not want to show any light that could be seen by the enemy....even lighting a cigarette could cause a barrage of artillery to come down on your head....I heard a story from my father that a guy did just that back in WWII....and the Germans seen it and zeroed in on it and called in an artillery strike on the area and wiped them all out.
Its still true today....you turn on a flashlight where a bunch of terrorists are waiting to bushwhack you....you just gave your position away.
Nowadays they use FLIR and NV.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, it would depend on my MOS and likely mission.

Basic load would be:
6P with M60LL w/ red or blue filter
C2 with M60
single cell AAA (E01, Arc, or Peak)
Peak AA in white
Peak AA in red
Headlamp
x2 AA LED (optional)

There is a method to the madness - I'm not infantry, so I'm not worried about picking a weapon light.

The 6P is a basic work light in field/deployment conditions - on a fresh set of cells, I get a solid 8 hour run time with a good output.

The C2 is my "oh hell" light - hopefully never used, but nice to know I have it.

The single cell AAA is always on my person. Latrine check, rummage in gear, whatever.

The single AA in white is a general gear light - I kept one clipped to my kit for casual use in non-tactical situations.

The single AA in red is a dual-purpose light: navigating in bays and a non-white, tactical situation light.

The headlamp is non-tactical only, hands-free lighting - baggage handling, work details, etc.

The x2 AA is also a generic, non-tactical work light - especially if I'm buying batteries. The Surefires will be kept in cases until/unless I think I'm about to do something serious. For mucking around in connexes and other work details, I'll break out the expendable x2 AA. And if it gets banged up or walks off, I won't be heartbroken.

-Trevor

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For max output:
Milky-modded KL3 bezel with Snake-Eyes, on a Surefire D2 body, w/ Z41 tailcap.

For chores requiring less light:
Gerber Infinity Ultra Task Light.

For back-up to either of the two lights above:
Surefire L1 Cree.

Harv

Newly Enlightened
As a guy who spend over 20 years working for Uncle Sugar, I can tell you that you NEED a light on your weapon. The Army Issues the very good Surefire MU series weapon lights that have a combination tape switch and Momentary /on clicky switch. You need lights to clear darken rooms and basements and attics.

As for a second light, Since you have to have logistics play into it, and your weapon light is powered by issued CR123's. I would stick with any good light that gives me lower power for misc tasks. A good helmet light works well also that is red light (for use with .Mil maps that are red light readable) Being how a lot of troops are in vehicles, having a light handy to root around to find stuff at night in a Humvee or a ruck is important.

lights and the quality and price sure have changed since my day. I remember the first time I used electrical tape to tape a G2 on to the hand guards of my M16A2 so I could clear a room during training exercises.

I used to have a Gerber Infinity 1xAA Red LED light with a lanyard around my neck. It came in handy at night. Lots of guys used and still use the LED Innova type lights that run on a sealed CR2032 batt and would have a clip that you could clip on to your web gear.

Knowing what I know now and with the lights available... I would run the light I run on my personally owned carbine which is a G2 with a Z32 bezel and a led lamp and a Z49 clickie switch. Tape switches break, wires get hung up and get pulled out and tape switches are easy to have a white light negligent discharge.I would run a Infra red flip up type filter for use with NVG's (Night vision goggles).

I would have several smaller lights that are red of blue filer capable for Misc use in and around vehicles and I would carry my Fenix LD10 for searching.

The golden rule in the .Mil is "One is none, two is one" You always have back up lights..... Murphy's law....

Just my $.2

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Great show on the History Channel last night- Two weeks in hell- the SFAS (Special Forces Assesment and Selection) in Fort Bragg NC. Lots of Headlamps on the candidates- there hands were ocupied the majority of the time......and at least 75lb rucks on their backs. I would take a small headlamp- lightweight- maybe a petzl tika and a single AAA Peak Eiger #4 aluminum white and an spare red led head with plenty of energ. lithium primaries on a neck lanyard.

Andyy

Newly Enlightened
In a real war where 2 armies are going at it you do not want to show any light that could be seen by the enemy....even lighting a cigarette could cause a barrage of artillery to come down on your head....I heard a story from my father that a guy did just that back in WWII....and the Germans seen it and zeroed in on it and called in an artillery strike on the area and wiped them all out.
Its still true today....you turn on a flashlight where a bunch of terrorists are waiting to bushwhack you....you just gave your position away.
Nowadays they use FLIR and NV.
MOUT, especially clearing buildings at night?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What flashlight would be by your side if you were fighting in iraq? and why...

MOUT, especially clearing buildings at night?

FISH and CHIPS? (Fighting In Someone's House and Causing Havoc In People's Streets)

garden

Newly Enlightened
Probably a variable output light of any brand, I like the Fenix LD20, small, waterproof and variable, it's be good for military use...

Also why does everyone like surefire so much, just because the surefire website has so much fancy and unrealistic advertising? They're not that bright after all. They even said the Titan backup thing could temporarily blind or disorient a person, very unlikely, only 80 lumens.