sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
Here's an image of mine, SN 364 for your viewing pleasure:

farkle-364.jpg

Is mine farked up?

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Cheers!

p.s. The vinyl lens protector is still in place. This thing collects lint like crazy. It is actually VERY clean but the lint shows up under UV-A so... (UV source was actually from a UV Arc AAA!)

GearGuy

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think if it is avoidable and unwanted, it does not deserve to be called "Premium." None of the LS' I have in stock look like that. I've dealt with several and have never seen it to that extent. Please allow me to post a picture of my P-light, LSH-P 1177. Peter says "If you don't love it, send it back." I recommend you take him up on that offer and swap it out.

lshp5.JPG

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think if it is avoidable and unwanted, it does not deserve to be called "Premium." None of the LS' I have in stock look like that. I've dealt with several and have never seen it to that extent. Please allow me to post a picture of my P-light, LSH-P 1177. Peter says "If you don't love it, send it back." I recommend you take him up on that offer and swap it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

After looking at yours, I think I will ask for this exchanged. (The switch already went out on mine as well!)

That one looks very clean!

Cheers!

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont have a UV light to inspect it with,,, but,,, with the nekked eye,,, theres NOTHING in there.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mine looks "farkle free" inside too.
And I took the plastic lens protector off, so I don't have any "external farkle" either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my - a SNAFU ARC LS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just couldn´t resist - no offense to Peter or ARC intended

Klaus

obeck

Newly Enlightened
I have a seconds with so much farkle that I am sure it would win a farkle award. The LSH shown has just an itty bitty spec of farkle off to one side. Take that and imagine it completely surrounding the Luxeon, and that is what I have. The farkle shown on the Luxeon in the first post is not worth mentioning compared to the farkle on my LSH-P.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine has quite a bit of farkle too, but i like everything else about the light and the farkle doesn't show up in the beam so i'm ok with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Farkle is about the only downside to the LS one piece head design. You can't take the head apart to clean it out.

Farkle appears on my dat2zip sandwich/NX05 lights too. Time for some personal nonscientific speculation. Farkle appears to be some sort of particles, or maybe just dust, drawn out of the LED/circuit assembly by static created in the NX05 cone by light operation. I clean it out from time to time, but bits come back. Farkle might be almost impossible to eliminate - unless you clean all components meticulously and reassemble the light in a completely dust-free environment.

The LSH-S I picked up during the sale has moderate farkle too. It doesn't bother me.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The farkle doesn't bother me too much, it's just that my light is so perfect in every other way that I can't stand any imperfection.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i'm not wrong someone mentioned that the farkle is actually gel squeezing out from the dome over the led or something...will someone fill in for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeap, farkle is the gel squeezing out of the dome. To remove, simply use a needle and scrap them off clean. It will not do any structural damage to the Luxeon.

harrydog

Newly Enlightened
My LSH-P has moderate farkle. I guess it doesn't have any negative affect? But it still bothers me on a light this expensive.
I'm half tempted to return it. If you bought it through a dealer, do you return it directly to ARC if you want a refund/exchange?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee so you can e-mail them about returning/exchanging your light if you are unhappy.

Before you do though, let me say again, it really doesn't have any negative effect at all. It really is strictly a cosmetic issue - doesn't effect the beam or the life of the luxeon.

So if you like the beam of your LSH-P, you might want to reconsider sending it back. For me personally, farkle really doesn't matter.

Just a suggestion,
Pat

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
This from the Arc FAQ......

Farkle

Occasionaly, you will see a sparkly pattern when looking into an off luxeon star. This pattern can also look like clear plastic chips. We call this "farkle" and it is common to practically all Luxeon Star flashlight that use the NX05 or NX01 optic. This is a cosmetic issue and will not affect the beam quality.

Farkle is caused by small pieces of silicon goop residue around the bezel of the LED. This is left over from the LED manufacture. The silicon is injected into the dome for optical coupling and there is usally a small amount of residue on the outside of the LED package.

At Arc Flashlight, we clean this bezel with alcahol swabs but invariably some farkle will remain. Again, this will not affect beam quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts