Do you use NiMH in your Streamlight 4AA LED?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today, the instructions say only alkaline cells. Would NiMH kill this light, or just overdrive it a bit, due to the lower internal resistance of the cells?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you use rechargeables in your Streamlight 4AA?

I'm going to take an educated guess here. If your 4AA (I assume LED) is the LATEST, with the proper resistors, it would probably do fine. There were at least 3 incarnations of the 4AA7LED, one with tiny individual resistors on each LED; then an added resistor on the back of the lamp assembly; then upgraded individual resistors on each LED. I'm electrically challenged, so some of our brighter (nice humor) can tell you for sure.

I have the second version, I've used Lithiums, and about everything else, no problem.

If something happens, there is a wonderful thing; a warranty..........

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is the LED version. I edited the post title to say that.

Well, my resistors are 22 Ohms. No resistor on the rear of the lamp assembly, at least not in plain view.

I measured the current with four NiMHs to be approximately 470mA, or 67mA per LED.
The current with four alkalines is 580mA, or almost 83mA per LED. It is actually being driven harder with alkalines. Are they are meant to be driven that hard?

Needless to say, it is quite bright.

robk

Enlightened
I have 3 of them, 2 early models with no "extra" resistor in the head, and 1 with a resistor. I run NiMH in ALL my lights (except 1 SL 3AA LS task light - too dim), and there hasn't been a problem yet with the SL4AA LED lights. Like JohnK said, it's under warranty!
Rob

B

Bruce626

Naw, I just use Lithiums in my SL4AA7LED's and they have been happy for almost a year now -- shelf life is important for these three. Oh, my EDSL (every day shop light) SL4AA7LED uses alkalines... use 'em up, throw 'em out, cheaper than dirt.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
I had a SL4AA 7 LED and I was using NiMh's in it. It was the first incarnation of this light. Anyways I used it for 3 days for probably no more than 5 minutes at a time. Anyways my wife had it in her bag and it fell onto some really hard concrete. Anyways, I tested the light and 2 LED's were burnt out and 1 more was flickering. Was it the NiMh's that did it? or the fall onto concrete? I'd say it was the NiMh's. Anyways I returned it and got the revision 2 of the light back. Which had a sloppily soldered resistor soldered to the base of the LED assembly. I have not used NiMh's in it since. The second revision light is much less bright and more blue than the original.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried NiMH in the first version and it drew less current than with alkaline. Still too much current though. I suspect that NiMH will work in the latest version also, but be slightly dimmer.

It's fairly easy to test the current draw using NiMH vs. alkaline. Go to Radio Shack and buy their 4 AA cell battery holder. I think it sells for around $2. Hook it up to the flashlight head with some jumpers, and measure the current. It helps if you have three hands, but I managed to do it with two.