Going Xmas Shopping / Seeking Advice

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have decided to get a few lights for a couple of friends this Christmas. Two especially that I work with. They have AA Mini Mags currently that they use for work in the field. My criteria is as follows-
1. Brighter than the AA Mag.
2.Incandescent or LED, either will work.
3.Longer run time than the Mag.
4.Same size or smaller.
5. Use AA or AAA bateries.
6.$10-15 price range.

Basically wanting to get them something that will make them think twice about their Mini's.
Thinking about the PT 20 or 40. They know That I am into flashlights and I want to get them something that will help to introduce them to the the wonderful world of options available out there. My main concern is that they carry their Mini's in belt pouch and I want their gift to be easily carried. If it has lanyard then I can get a clip that will attach to belt too. What are your reccomendations?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I have budget constaints. I was browsing brightguy.com and am wondering now if it would be better to go with just AA power. If you go by just the specs it shows the Mag at 10 hrs run time and most others at 2-5 hrs depending on how many batteries it uses and the size (i.e. 2xAA,4xAAA,etc.) But I also know that specs don't always tell the whole story.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a PT Attitude (ok it's a little fatter than a mag
smile.gif
)

Good output & very good battery life

Close to your budget at $17.75

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite is going to be very very dim by the end of those 10 hours.

PT Attitude gets my vote. Plenty bright, runs FAR longer and is waterproof too!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Attitude and it is great
icon14.gif
, but we have a limit on gift exchanges, this takes shipping cost into account also. If I could find some used ones that would probably work.

Saaby

Flashaholic
If you'd budge into Opalec range you'd better not budge without looking at the Arc AAA.

Whistler

Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
If you'd budge into Opalec range you'd better not budge without looking at the Arc AAA.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, Saaby that's the spirit
icon14.gif
. An Arc AAA that's what you need! What we all need
grin.gif
! Eh, already have
wink.gif
!?

For longer runtime an Infinity Ultra would do the job also, but since it is bigger...just take an ARC AAA!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by webley445:
Brighter, Longer run time, Same size, $10-15...

...make them think twice about their Mini's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm. You're asking a lot on that budget.

If you can stretch up to the $16 range I think the Attitude will fit best.
$16 Attitude at TTS

If not, you might consider the radical idea of a white Photon II (not AA or AAA though). $11 Photon II at TTS

A new Photon II is so bright that it will definitely "make them think twice". Even though the initial brightness doesn't last long, the amount of light that does last is still quite impressive for such a tiny, easy to carry and highly durable little light. We're talking about 10 hours of decent light!

If you really want them to "think", get them the turquoise Photon II and explain the virtures of green light for preserving night vision!

Red vs. Green for night vision
Green or Red for Better Night Vision

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
Possibly a SL Clipmate - includes a clip, neck lanyard and headstrap??

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Princeton Tech Rage? 4 AAA's and it will fit in some MiniMag holsters. Much brighter than a Mag AA, but runtime is soemwhat lower. Most places sell them for just over $10.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it also depends on what you consider runtime. If you go by the stats from Mag then they probably count runtime ending when the incandescent bulb is just a sickly yellow glow. Others count runtime ending when the bulb gets a bit dimer.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recomend the PT 40 for what you want. With the PR base bulb, & dimpled reflector, you can get a variaty of bulbs, includeing LED, with a nice output beam. If they have rechargables, the Kypton 3D lamp is cheap & puts out a heck of a beam. I believe TTS has them around $13. It's a great light. TX

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well we can go with incandescent if need be to keep costs down. OK let me make a parameter change here.
Within the price range stated.
Better or equal light to the AA Mag.
Better or equal run time.

Yes, it is about giving, but it's also the thought that counts.

One of the two main guys already has a company photon, got some some from corporate with co. logos on them ,the other doesn't, so that takes care of one, but I'd rather go with my original idea, and like I said it doesn't have to be LED.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
How about starting them out on the road to "flashaholism" by having them do their first mod? Get them some Brinkman Nexstar bulbs (xenon) and a set of lithium batteries. This will show them a little bit of what you know! Merry Christmas.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by txwest:
...PT 40 for ...rechargables, the Kypton 3D lamp is cheap & puts out a heck of a beam.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the PT40 is a great light too!

Although, not for rechargeables. It ruined a set of 4 of mine by pressing so hard on the batteries that the tips and bases were deformed enough that they wouldn't make contact reliably. I returned my PT40.

Instead, I'm using a Ray-O-Vac 4AA Camper ($3 @ Walmart) with the NiMH and the KPR103 (K3) bulb. It is really bright (and no damage to my NiMHs)! This is a great everyday, economical light!