Man, I'm bored with Flashlights these days!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
<RANT ON>

Fellow CPFers,

This will probably come across as whining a bit, but.....

While there are many things to be excited about LED and battery technology these days (i.e. SST50/90's, MC-Es, LiPOFe), however, it seems like the modders I ussually work with have simply slowed to a vitual standstill :)poke:) or are simply working on other projects of their own. Which is totally fine, but combine that with the seemingly endless and overwhelming flow of decent, yet ho-hum (no flames intended, sorry guys:duck:) Chinese made lights that virtually all do the same thing but are simply packaged a bit differently...... I'm bored.

Aside from the couple of Surefire lights that came out the past few months, It feels like the whole hobby has ground to a halt for me.

Its definitely not for lack of interest. I have lots of great ideas and concepts, but I lack the skills and tools to make them a reality. Without a modder or more production of new lights from Surefire an the like, I'm stuck. :banghead:

Anybody else have those feelings? Is it just me?

<RANT OFF>

Please feel free to slap some sense into me. :grin2:

MSax

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Could be a watershed moment for you- an epiphany or tipping point if you will. When I have this type of feeling- I find a new skill/hobby to fixate on- bushcraft, gear collecting, blades, zombies etc. Take some time off and cultivate a new expensive hobby- fly fishing is always good.:whistle:

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
Could be a watershed moment for you- an epiphany or tipping point if you will. When I have this type of feeling- I find a new skill/hobby to fixate on- bushcraft, gear collecting, blades, zombies etc. Take some time off and cultivate a new expensive hobby- fly fishing is always good.:whistle:

Wait, wait, wait...zombies? :thinking::crackup:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you have all those lights laying around the feeling of boredom won't go away and you might fall into a deep depression.:sick:
AS a fellow New Jerseyan I feel obligated to help out. Pm me your address and I will swing by and pick them up...Not to worry I won't leave you empty handed. I have some comic books that I'm really not that attached to. By the time you're done reading them all you'll be amazed at the new designs and LED's that are on the market and hopefully forget about that original collection...:naughty:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
I know sometimes it can be difficult to stay interested.... especially if your waiting for a notoriously unreliable manufactuer (well unreliable as far as release dates) like surefire to comeout with their new toys.

Like others have suggested... find something to put your attention else where and throw flashlights on the back burner for a while.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you have all those lights laying around the feeling of boredom won't go away and you might fall into a deep depression.:sick:
AS a fellow New Jerseyan I feel obligated to help out. Pm me your address and I will swing by and pick them up...Not to worry I won't leave you empty handed. I have some comic books that I'm really not that attached to. By the time you're done reading them all you'll be amazed at the new designs and LED's that are on the market and hopefully forget about that original collection...:naughty:

I know sometimes it can be difficult to stay interested.... especially if your waiting for a notoriously unreliable manufactuer (well unreliable as far as release dates) like surefire to comeout with their new toys.

Like others have suggested... find something to put your attention else where and throw flashlights on the back burner for a while.

That's just it, its not a lack of interest, its getting things done. I have some lights lying around here that are great, but I have some modding ideas for them. But the thought of sending them out not to see them again for 6-9 months is........ :hairpull:

Maybe I have to start doing my own mods.

Anybody interested in giving me a hands on lesson on electronics, soldering, etc.?!?!

MSax

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe after the New Year we can arrange a trip up to the Milky labs and maybe learn a thing or two!!:popcorn:
It could be like an educational field trip to the Liberty Science Center

GLOCK18

Enlightened
Don't feel to bad, I'v been waiting 16 month for a few custom lights from a modder, with no end in sight. :mecry::mecry::mecry:

sawlight

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat, I'm bored as well. I upgraded my Novaac with a K2 and it's pretty much everything I could want in a pocket/EDC light. I want to get a drop-in for UV, but don't really need it. I have an Ultrafire 2 x 18650 host sitting here staring at me and I can't find an interesting thing to do with it! I have a LF EO9, but I want more! I'd like a drop-in with two mods, a medium low and a stupid bright high!
As for mods, nothing really excites me there either, back to the Novatac I guess!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
man.. I wish there's some sort o' newbies modder's kit. I'm finally getting an iron, but I don't know what other stuff to get. (flux, wires, thermal stuffs, etc)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lathe, milling machine...

All cycles...that's why one finds additional hobbies to rotate with. That often leads to :broke::D

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel to bad, I'v been waiting 16 month for a few custom lights from a modder, with no end in sight. :mecry::mecry::mecry:

I hear ya brother! What on earth could possibly result in a 16 month wait for a flashlight mod?!?! Hopefully you didn't lay any money out for it.

DAVE

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have found I enjoy taking cheap stuff and making it better as cheap as possible. It is easy to buy a nice light but once you get used to using it the fun fades fast. If you can buy a cheap light or lantern and use parts laying around to improve it. I am less impressed with people modding the latest stuff with the best uber crees and super drivers than taking an incan light or lantern got cheap from a clearance sale or garage sale and yanking stuff out and putting in parts you have left around to make something useful. I had a blast taking some taplights and yanking out the bulbs and putting LEDs in place of them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretend your on the verge of turning 21, you are having a baby in a month, just moved out, your fiance isn't working (my choice) and hates flashlights and spending unnecessary money, your job pays well but isn't reliable, and you can't seem to ever figure out where your money is.

I bet you flashlights will be much more interesting when the light at the end of your purchasing tunnel is smaller than your battery budget. (Which was cut in light of recent events)

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretend your on the verge of turning 21, you are having a baby in a month, just moved out, your fiance isn't working (my choice) and hates flashlights and spending unnecessary money, your job pays well but isn't reliable, and you can't seem to ever figure out where your money is.

Geez, I went from bored to suicidal in less than a dozen posts. :nana:

MSax