4Sevens Beamshots (Chapter 1 - Indoor)

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
I've put together a collection of extremely standardized apples-to-apples beamshots for several models of 4Sevens Quark, Preon, and MiNi lights. For comparison purposes I've also included some beamshots from several other lights. All images (unless otherwise noted) were taken with identical settings (1/20 sec., f2.8, ISO100, and a white balance of 5600K) and shot with a Nikon D200 and 20mm Nikkor lens. The camera was positioned exactly 6 feet from the target (wall). The flashlight was placed exactly 3 feet from the wall and directly in front of the camera. The images give accurate representation of relative tint, beamshape, and spot/spill size.

The images are thumbnails and are clickable for a larger version.

Quark 123 Ti XP-G R5 (206 OTF lumens)

Quark 123*2 Ti XP-G R5 (230 OTF lumens)

Quark Turbo 123*2 XP-G R5 (230 OTF lumens)

The fact that the hotspot for the regular Quark 123 and 123*2 look very similar to that produced by the Turbo 123*2 is due to the fact that the shutter speed/aperture combination used in the photographs blows out the detail in the highlight of the hotspot. The following image is a comparison of the Quark 123*2 and the Quark Turbo 123*2 with an aperture small enough to reveal details in the hotspot. It's apparent from the following photo that the deeper and smooth reflector of the Turbo 123*3 is more effective at focusing the output from the XP-G R5 emitter thus creating a more throw oriented light. The differences in "throwiness" will be better outlined in the upcoming installment of outdoor beamshots.:naughty:

Comparison: Quark Turbo 123*2 vs. Quark 123*2 XP-G R5
1/20 sec., f8, ISO100, white balance of 5600K

The Turbo 123*2 has a very tight hotspot, a more abrupt transition from spot to spill, and a slightly narrower and brighter field of spill than the 123*2. The Turbo has a deep and smooth reflector which has for me always raised the ominous red flags of distasteful beam artifacts (what can I say...I'm a floody guy) but my copy has a great beam. There's a very subtle donut in the spot, but no artifacts otherwise and very even, clean spill.

Quark RGB-W (Neutral white version) (150 OTF lumens)

The multi-color RGB emitter:

On high, the RGB is nearly identical to my Zebralight H60W. The RGB is a very floody light. There are minor artifacts due to the nature of the independently-activated off-center emitter quadrants but this light was a very pleasant surprise. Aside from its novelty as the first RGB quad-die emitter light... it's proven in my case to be quite utilitarian and is in my EDC rotation (on a 123 body with an RCR123 of course). :naughty:

Preon II (high, medium, low) (160, 22, 2.2 OTF lumens)

This one's got great finish... apparently a proprietary anodizing process. The fit is very nice with tight tolerances. The clicky switch is a little "floaty" but hasn't had any durability issues. The beam is astounding for a AAA-powered light.

Quark MiNi123 (high, medium, low) (189, 40, 3 OTF lumens)

The MiNi123 is a great EDC light. It's very small, has great spill (wider than any of the others save the RGB), and it's very bright... and by very bright I mean very bright. It's hard to comprehend this kind of light coming out of something smaller than my chapstick.

Quark 123 Limited Run Neutral (170 OTF lumens)

I originally picked up versions of the limited-run neutral tint lights because I spend a lot of time outside and color rendition is much better with the neutral tints. The beam is a great combination of spot and spill with sufficient throw to see at a distance and a floody spill vibrant enough that my peripheral vision engages and limits eye-strain.

Quark 123*2 Limited Run Neutral (190 OTF lumens)

Quark AA Limited Run Neutral (90 OTF lumens)

4Sevens Prism on 1) Quark 123 XP-G R5 and 2) Quark 123 Limited Run Neutral

I really like this accessory. While others have voiced concern about difficulties in removing filters from the housing (the prism housed in the unit is solid and therefore makes it impossible to push a disc filter out from behind), I find use for mine as a dedicated diffuser and haven't had the need to remove the filter. The resulting beam is very smooth and floody and my copy stays firmly attached to the head of the flashlights despite my best attempts to disengage it while bushwacking through dense undergrowth.

For comparison:
Zebralight H60W (max) (157 OTF lumens)

Surefire E2DL (two-stage 150 lumen version)

Fenix TK30 (max) (630 lumens)

Surefire 6P host w/ Malkoff M60F (220 lumens)

Last edited:

lavalight

Newly Enlightened
I just got into the 4Seven lights.Your review on the beam shot makes my decision easier.Mahalo for your time and skills Bro:twothumbs
Aloha!

Bass

Enlightened
Desertrat - I really enjoy your images. It's a pleasure to view your stuff. That is a superb set of beam shots :thumbsup: A serious amount of time and skill have gone into these.

I am, as I am sure are many other members, grateful for your work on this.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
BEST BEAMSHAPES EVER!!! :party:

I wish my Surefire, Fenix and JetBeam lights have beamshapes like this!

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
Wow desertrat21, thanks!

Now I know how the Zebralight compares to the Prizm/Quark combo.

The prizm looks to cover about 1/2 the diameter of the ZL, but still has a slight hotspot- but it is diffused.
I think that beam shape would be a better pattern for my requirement which is night medal detecting. 6-10ft. ground searching, and 12-18 inch treasure inspection ;)

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Desertrat, thanks for the very realistic beamshots! :thumbsup:

My MiNi123 looks amazingly similar to your high image.

Your perfectionism and skills are evident.

Last edited:

DArklite

Enlightened
desertrat21, you are a wizard with that camera! Your photos have been no small part of the wallet-loosening influence as far as me getting Quarks - 123 Ti, and MiNi AA and 123 neutrals :grin2:
I'll echo the sentiment I've read that 4Sevens should consider giving you a call for future promotions - I'm thinking your photos would help drive up sales too :naughty:

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
Merci beaucoup!
Nice job. It's exactly for many of us what we need.
If someone could be able to ad a runtime chart for these light it could be a useful complement.
thanks

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks desertrat21, great pics.

Nice to see someone else with a Quark RGB. Does the light's output suffer at all with the RCR123A - I.E. is it much dimmer or is only the runtime afffected?

Cheers,