HELP WITH D10

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
I need two D10's non SP. Anyone know where I can find some? I saw some on 4sevens but they are fancy and $90. I would hate to spend that much, but they are worth it. Thanks

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
90$? That's a splash version, they are very nice, but sport a Q5 which, to my eyes, is much dimmer than the R2. Perhaps it's my lights, 145 to 130 Lumen should be barely noticeable...

I also looked for both an EX10 and a D10 and couldn't find anything cheap. As I'm in Europe, I bought them at flashaholics.co.uk, not the cheapest because of the £, but the best affair for me. It's 56$ plus shipping.

Perhaps someone knows of an US dealer who still has some?

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
I can not find an R2. If I get a Q5 and am not happy with it, who would I contact to install a different pill? I looked on ebay and all I found were SP even if not advertised as such.

DM51

Flashaholic
If I were you, I would place a WTB in this sub-forum in the MarketPlace.

If you buy a new light with the intention of swapping out the emitter, you'll spend way more than you've planned, once you factor in the cost of the new emitter, paying someone to do the work, shipping back and forth etc.

Much better to buy a used one in the MarketPlace. CPFers look after their lights extremely well, and I bet you won't be able to tell a used one from new.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not find an R2. If I get a Q5 and am not happy with it, who would I contact to install a different pill? I looked on ebay and all I found were SP even if not advertised as such.

Would you be able to tell the difference between a R2 and a Q5 ???

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my D10 I can easily tell the difference between Q5 and R2, it's huge!

For the moment, there is a Q5 in the BST on the marketplace, 40$... lovecpf
Oops, that's an EX10...

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a chart showing the difference between Q5 and R2. This is at 350mA, the D-10 runs about 550mA on high so there will be a bigger spread. Not much difference, certainly not detectable by eye, except for Henk Lu, who has superman eyes. :)

To:
[email protected]

xrerdmap.gif

jslappa

Enlightened
And you just missed a near mint D10 with the GDP emitter. It even had the larger 2mm x 8mm green tritium vial in the piston head. $95 shipped I believe.

They pop up on the Marketplace, but as happened with that one, they don't stick around more than a couple hours max....even at that price. I still need a GDP to complete my D10 set, so I keep refreshing the Marketplace WTS thread frequently. You should too!

Hey, if there is a way to have an email sent to me each time a new WTS thread is posted, would someone let me know? I have only figured out how to do that when subscribing to a thread. So I guess I am trying to subscribe to an entire forum?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a chart showing the difference between Q5 and R2. This is at 350mA, the D-10 runs about 550mA on high so there will be a bigger spread. Not much difference, certainly not detectable by eye, except for Henk Lu, who has superman eyes. :)

Even my granny who's half blind would see the difference...

I would have said that my Q5 is a very bad one, while the R2 is a very good one, but by now I have two Q5 and two R2. There is a slight difference between the Q5 themselves and the R2 themselves (mainly the tint), but it's even very noticeable between the weakest R2 and the strongest Q5.

I just tested them all again and it's really weird, one of my D10 has been modded with a Q3-5A and even that one looks brighter than the Q5, but less than the R2. My Q5 are EX10, but as I also have an EX10-R2 (brightest of all) it can't be about that.

So, I only see one more explanation : The Q5 are splash versions and those were of the first batch I think, the newer models are different. Perhaps they had light engines that don't work as they should? My modded D10 was also Q5 before, I killed the LE while reassambling the light and got another light engine with the Q3-5A from a CPFer. I don't know where that light engine comes from, but its electronics look different...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
And you just missed a near mint D10 with the GDP emitter. It even had the larger 2mm x 8mm green tritium vial in the piston head. $95 shipped I believe.

They pop up on the Marketplace, but as happened with that one, they don't stick around more than a couple hours max....even at that price. I still need a GDP to complete my D10 set, so I keep refreshing the Marketplace WTS thread frequently. You should too!

Hey, if there is a way to have an email sent to me each time a new WTS thread is posted, would someone let me know? I have only figured out how to do that when subscribing to a thread. So I guess I am trying to subscribe to an entire forum?

I also missed that one by an hour, sleeping... :whistle:

I would have posted an "I'll take it" without thinking twice. First I also miss a GDP (but will have an EX10 GDP soon), second the 5mm trits are already rare, but I've never seen 8mm until today. Great!

I don't think you can subscribe to receive mails if a new thread is posted. It doesn't help either while you sleep... :poke:

I don't kniow what it is with these Nitecores, first I didn't want a single one, now I'm hokked on them! Last week I got the titanium "fatty" body for an EX10 from Kuku427, but I was so dumb to think I was too :broke: to get a D10 as well... Man, now I want one so badly!!! JHanko's titanium bodies were really cute, but rarer than rare and high priced (which I understand).

The last two days I've been at home and have a D10 with a blue trit (running on a14500) in my pocket the whole time. I'm completely :crazy:!!! :party:

jslappa

Enlightened
I don't kniow what it is with these Nitecores, first I didn't want a single one, now I'm hokked on them! Last week I got the titanium "fatty" body for an EX10 from Kuku427, but I was so dumb to think I was too :broke: to get a D10 as well... Man, now I want one so badly!!! JHanko's titanium bodies were really cute, but rarer than rare and high priced (which I understand).

The last two days I've been at home and have a D10 with a blue trit (running on a14500) in my pocket the whole time. I'm completely :crazy:!!! :party:

Wait, I thought I couldn't run my D10's and EX10's on 3.7v rechargeables. I can use 14500's on my Q5's, R2's, and GDP? Nice! I've been burning through my primary L90's.

Also, my KuKu EX10 Fattie should be here today too! can't wait to put this R2 light engine in there. My favorite D10 is my R2 with the 2mm x 8mm green trit. I swap that piston when I use the Q5. My Camo SP D10 shipped today from batteryjunction, so I'll see if I like that UI soon. Have you ordered any of the 3 new colors of the D10 SP Henk Lu?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I only see one more explanation : The Q5 are splash versions and those were of the first batch I think, the newer models are different. Perhaps they had light engines that don't work as they should? My modded D10 was also Q5 before, I killed the LE while reassambling the light and got another light engine with the Q3-5A from a CPFer. I don't know where that light engine comes from, but its electronics look different...

I remember reading that the early versions were different than the later ones, maybe that's what it is.

I hope you didn't take offense at my remark, just kidding around.

edit; I have two EX10 R2, an XR-E and XP-E. I just checked the current draw. The XR-E shows .68A and the XP-E .71A. The XP-E shows about 15lm more in my lightbox.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, I thought I couldn't run my D10's and EX10's on 3.7v rechargeables. I can use 14500's on my Q5's, R2's, and GDP? Nice! I've been burning through my primary L90's.

Also, my KuKu EX10 Fattie should be here today too! can't wait to put this R2 light engine in there. My favorite D10 is my R2 with the 2mm x 8mm green trit. I swap that piston when I use the Q5. My Camo SP D10 shipped today from batteryjunction, so I'll see if I like that UI soon. Have you ordered any of the 3 new colors of the D10 SP Henk Lu?

Check out Nitecores' site! You can use li-ion in most of their lights. I didn't care about that as I just began using li-ion, but now I have another view of Nitecore. While other popular competitors restrict to primaries (li-ion either impossible or loss of modes), Nitecore thinks about us flashaholics. Their built quality is also very high, unfortunately, the D10 are tricky sometimes, I needed to take my Sunspot apart several times to screw the reflector and the light engine in as tight as possible, as the piston never had enough way to work properly when the light was screwed together. Squeezing the o-ring between the lens and the reflector at a maximum, I managed to make it working yesterday.

I won't order those special editions, I'll stick to the old ones. Technically they are top notch for sure, but I don't like them, neither the colors nor the UI. I would want a piston with an 8 x 2mm however... :devil:

Kuku's Fatty is very nice. Quality craftmansship, great finish, smooth piston. As the light is longer than the stock EX10, it fits better in large hands. The small size is a disadvantage on the EX10 for me, I preffer the D10 therefore. What's more, the beam of the Fatty is great : Very tight bright hotspot, surrounded by a less brighter ring which goes neatly into spill. Should have more throw than the normaé EX10. It is easier to operate as well, ramping works better in that body. I hope we'll be able to get clips for that light, I don't use clips, but the light looks better with one and it serves as an antiroll! :naughty:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading that the early versions were different than the later ones, maybe that's what it is.

I hope you didn't take offense at my remark, just kidding around.

edit; I have two EX10 R2, an XR-E and XP-E. I just checked the current draw. The XR-E shows .68A and the XP-E .71A. The XP-E shows about 15lm more in my lightbox.

No offense taken! :wave:

You are right, 15 Lumen can't really be seen, that's why I insisted for the D10/EX10.

I just checked my R2, they are XR-E for sure. Weird, as I got them only 6 weeks ago from 4Sevens. I'm curious what the D10 from flashaholics.co.uk will have, if I'm lucky, I'll get it tomorrow.

I can't mesure teh current draw, I'm not equipped for that, I only have a multimeter and can only measure currents on lights with a tailcap. How many Lumen did you get in total? I wonder if the OTF is less than a Fenix PD20, Quark R2 or other lights in that class rated 170 Lumen or more?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense taken! :wave:

You are right, 15 Lumen can't really be seen, that's why I insisted for the D10/EX10.

I just checked my R2, they are XR-E for sure. Weird, as I got them only 6 weeks ago from 4Sevens. I'm curious what the D10 from flashaholics.co.uk will have, if I'm lucky, I'll get it tomorrow.

I can't mesure teh current draw, I'm not equipped for that, I only have a multimeter and can only measure currents on lights with a tailcap. How many Lumen did you get in total? I wonder if the OTF is less than a Fenix PD20, Quark R2 or other lights in that class rated 170 Lumen or more?

With an RCR123 the XR-E showed 140lm and the XP-E 155lm. The XP-E appears to be more efficient as the difference in current draw is minimal.

Put the head lens down and put a battery on top of it as it would be in the light. Then put the MM neg wire to the neg side of the battery and the pos wire touching the brass ring to check the draw.