ultralight, compact, versatile

askye

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light to use while travelling on foot. It needs to have:

- variable brightness
- low minimum output level (to maintain dark adaptation)
- output level memory
- low weight
- compact size

I prefer AAA cells because they're easy to find, available with Li chemistry and provide enough run time for my purposes but I'd also consider AA.

The Photon Freedom Micro is certainly small and lightweight but it lacks output level memory and run time.

The LiteFlux LF2XT seems to have an excellent circuit but it could be smaller and lighter. Is it the only single-AAA light with variable brightness and low minimum output?

The Photon Proton Pro is interesting but too big and, as LRI policy insists, it has no output level memory (not to mention that the while emitter always comes on at full intensity).

I'm disappointed that manufacturers seem to mostly ignore the opportunity to make an ultralight, ultracompact single-cell package; instead, there appears to be a preoccupation with grooves, ridges, bumps and knurls. The MagLite Solitaire seems to be the thinnest of the bunch and it could be thinner still.

Any suggestions?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my point of view,I think you are asking for a light that a manufacturer would have no sale for.

I use an ITP 3 mode AAA cell whilst out walking and to be honest if it was any smaller and lighter would find it to small and light then to consider taking with me.When wearing gloves it is a little devil to switch on.

Good luck in your efforts to find what you want.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, askye. Another to think about might be the Photon ReX. This little light will surprise you for its brightness and the low is very low. The charging system works fine and is kinda cool, but a bit fiddly. Check it out.

Geoff

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a light to use while travelling on foot. It needs to have:

- variable brightness
- low minimum output level (to maintain dark adaptation)
- output level memory
- low weight
- compact size

I prefer AAA cells because they're easy to find, available with Li chemistry and provide enough run time for my purposes but I'd also consider AA.

The LiteFlux LF2XT seems to have an excellent circuit but it could be smaller and lighter. Is it the only single-AAA light with variable brightness and low minimum output?

I'm disappointed that manufacturers seem to mostly ignore the opportunity to make an ultralight, ultracompact single-cell package; instead, there appears to be a preoccupation with grooves, ridges, bumps and knurls. The MagLite Solitaire seems to be the thinnest of the bunch and it could be thinner still.

Any suggestions?
You wanted variable brightness, but with no mention of how many levels I'm going to suggest a MillerMods Arc-AAA.

My favorite light is the LF2XT and the MillerMods I just got has the ability to go even lower, is much smaller and lighter, comes on very low and "retains memory" due to the fact that as a simple twisty it's just a single twist to go to low, then immediately to high with no lag time.

I'm not looking at a Solitaire right now, but I feel that this is probably the best option for you. The one I have has the 50mA low setting, which is also available in 25mA. I'm supposed to send one of my Arcs in for a mod and the 25mA low is what I'm planning on. The one I presently have has the 240mA high, according to the sale thread I just bought it from. My opinion so far is that either the 25/50mA low and 240mA high is a perfect tiny light that is as addictive to hold as it is to use!

These have an absolutely beautiful beam and tint, which offers a gentle veil of light on low and the high level is so perfect for daily usage! They also hang very nicely for neck carry.

Although the pics have ceased to exist, this is still a very nice review of the MillerMods Arc-AAA 2-level mod.

Last edited:

askye

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions.

- Photon ReX: no output level memory
- iTP A3 EOS: minimum output level is too high (I think), and no memory
- Nitecore D10 SP: too big/heavy
- MillerMods Arc-AAA: Perhaps I confused lux and lumens; I thought the LF2XT had a lower minimum output level. In any case, the MillerMods minimum of 6 lumens (also the maximum output of a Solitaire, as I recall) is much too bright (I need a minimum output no brighter than full moon light). Am I missing something?

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only light I can think of is the nitecore d10. It's AA but it's a great light.

x2,

the itp is a great light, but an AA cell has way more runtime then an AAA, also an AA battery can be found anywhere anytime, a AAA can be harder to find.

D10 is small, lightweight, variable brightness reliable.

its been getting huge respect in these parts for 18+ months and still does.

if you can find one?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions.

- Photon ReX: no output level memory
- iTP A3 EOS: minimum output level is too high (I think), and no memory
- Nitecore D10 SP: too big/heavy
- MillerMods Arc-AAA: Perhaps I confused lux and lumens; I thought the LF2XT had a lower minimum output level. In any case, the MillerMods minimum of 6 lumens (also the maximum output of a Solitaire, as I recall) is much too bright (I need a minimum output no brighter than full moon light). Am I missing something?
I see a lot of suggestions for the excellent D10, which I did not mention as you said you wanted something very small and lightweight, which definitely puts the D10 out of the running.

I'm not sure of the whole story behind my MillerMods Arc, but I can play with the low setting to where it's less than 25% of the low on the LF2XT. This is the low I've been wanting! If it sounds at all interesting to you I would suggest sending him an e-mail and ask about the lowest level he can give you.

It was great walking home in the snow tonight using the ultra-low of the MillerMods as I could still see off to the side into the woods since there was just barely enough light to make the trail in front of me discernible, without blinding my vision! I love this light! :grin2:

askye

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure of the whole story behind my MillerMods Arc, but I can play with the low setting to where it's less than 25% of the low on the LF2XT. This is the low I've been wanting! If it sounds at all interesting to you I would suggest sending him an e-mail and ask about the lowest level he can give you.

I like the Arc-AAA package, and it seems that MillerMods are well made, but alas:

MillerMods said:
My lowest setting is still brighter than moon light. I would estimate 6-8 lumens for my lowest setting.

Are you sure you're operating your LF2XT in the lowest mode (it seems the FUI "Full-function User Interface" is required)?

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The LF2XT will go to low user either UI and although MillerMods say that 6-8 is his lowest, mine will flicker back and forth between a setting that is identical to the LF2XT and one that is about 1/4 of it on low, which suggests to me two things.

One is that mine may be an older mod with lower output, and since mine flickers back and forth, the really low level is probably an anomaly.

However the brightest the low setting gets is identical to the LF2XT, so asking MillerMods for an older emitter may be the thing for you. Or you could buy mine and I could get another one modded like I've already talked to him about.

Either way, these are one of the sexiest, slimmest and lightest solutions out there!

askye

Newly Enlightened
I'm posting to update my original criteria. I still require:

- variable output
- very low minimum output (moonlight)
- compact and lightweight enclosure
- single AAA cell

Previously, I also specified "output level memory" but it's not necessary for twisty lights; assuming twist from off to minimum output and up to maximum output. Suggestions?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Proton Pro in the situations that you are talking about.

One feature you may not have considered is that it comes with a ring affixed to the tail so it can be used hands free. I sometimes use it like a necklace if I'm out at night or near dusk. I just drop it inside my shirt until needed.

It also has a red led that does start on low (very, very low). It's true the white led starts on high but I've adjusted to that by just holding it against my body while ramping it so that by the time I look at it it's already pretty low.

I like the ramping feature and the fact that everything is done with one button. Push and let go and you get the white led on high. Push and hold and you get the red led ramping. Push let go and hold it against you leg and push and hold and you get the white led ramping down.

Runtime is double over a AAA light as well.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The Proton Pro bests the LF2XT for ultra-low, but has a pinhole beam compared to what is arguably the perfect beam pattern.

Dependent on usage pattern the AA cell having longer runtime may be of no consequence when I get months off a single battery with my LF2XT.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Proton Pro bests the LF2XT for ultra-low, but has a pinhole beam compared to what is arguably the perfect beam pattern.

Dependent on usage pattern the AA cell having longer runtime may be of no consequence when I get months off a single battery with my LF2XT.

It costs 3 times as much and they both use a XR-E I believe don't they?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It costs 3 times as much and they both use a XR-E I believe don't they?
The LF2XT uses an xp-e and has a very nice beam. I can't remember what they cost but it's should be somewhere in the $70-$80 range and I believe the Proton Pro is around $50.
Surprised no one has mentioned the 4Sevens Preon 1...

- Variable output: Low/Mid/High/SOS/Strobe/Beacon
- Very low min output: 1.8 lumens low enough?
- Compact and lightweight: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot AAA lights 2010-01 UK.html
- Single AAA cell: Yes
I know there are some who are very happy with their Preon's and it may be another possibility. Having one and not really liking the slimness towards the back, due to my preferred cigar carry, I didn't even think of it and actually prefer the iTP A3 or Maratac AAA.

askye

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies. I'm aware of the lights recommended so far (but it's good to be reminded as it can be difficult to remember them all).

After more consideration, I realise that I want *continuously variable* output from zero to maximum output. As I understand it, Photon's lights work like this (by depressing and holding the switch) but I would much rather control it by twisting.

- twisting turns on and smoothly increases output up to maximum
- output level is selected by stopping at any point

I'm not aware of lights which work like this, but it seems like an obvious design; simple, and especially useful to those who want only the minimum amount of light necessary for the task at hand (rather than stepped output levels).

If I build one, I think I'd use a Solitaire body because they're very narrow and lightweight (especially if some material is removed from the 4 g tail cap) with lots of space to accommodate components and longer cells. I like the Arc AAA but I'm not sure I could fit it all in.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
After more consideration, I realise that I want *continuously variable* output from zero to maximum output. As I understand it, Photon's lights work like this (by depressing and holding the switch) but I would much rather control it by twisting.

- twisting turns on and smoothly increases output up to maximum
- output level is selected by stopping at any point

Sounds like you're looking for the Surefire T1A Titan, but that runs off a 123A... I'm not aware of a AAA that's infinitely variable...