MCE/P7 P60 Drop-in with Best Beam Quality

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for a P60 MCE/P7 dropin for high output in a compact host. I prefer a multi-mode dropin for this due to the heat quickly generated on high.

I currently have a nailbender dropin, and it is bright.. but as he mentioned in his sales thread, it still has a slight donut hole.

From your collective experience, what is the best MCE/P7 P60 sized dropin for beam quality? It really doesn't matter to me if it is optic or reflector based. I did consider the Malkoff dropin, but I'm not sure I want an already floody beam further diffused. I believe it is also only offered in single-mode, which is a downside for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't a P7 or MC-E, but nailbender's SST-50 has a gorgeous beam, and is plenty bright.
Yep, that is a great option for a high output P60 that I also looked into, but they aren't readily available in a P60 drop-in format other than from NB (that I am aware of), and unfortunately he can't get any warm-tint right now. He said the warm tinted ones he had short supply on (now gone) were around 5-4000k for which there is a 18 week waiting list to get more. He said the only SST 50 that are available in the US are 6500K GJ bin WS.

The MCE/P7 are much more readily available in P60 format, and in a warm tint. But the issue on these is beam quality...

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Yep, that is a great option for a high output P60 that I also looked into, but they aren't readily available in a P60 drop-in format other than from NB (that I am aware of), and unfortunately he can't get any warm-tint right now. He said the warm tinted ones he had short supply on (now gone) were around 5-4000k for which there is a 18 week waiting list to get more. He said the only SST 50 that are available in the US are 6500K GJ bin WS.

The MCE/P7 are much more readily available in P60 format, and in a warm tint. But the issue on these is beam quality...
If you really can't stand the 6500k (which would, by the way, be CONSIDERABLY brighter - a good GJ bin can be 50%+ brighter then a lower warm bin), wait. The supplier that he uses quotes 18 weeks, but it generally takes 3-4 at the most. If you can, wait until he has them back in stock.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hole is more or less in most of the reflectors tried , Ive used 3 different ones to date , some more noticeable than others .

But its something you will only really notice when shinning your light on nice smooth walls , not really noticeable outdoors .

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightlens.com has just shipped me two or three different diffuser lenses sized for a P60 (Surefire 6P/9P) head (28.6mm, though I think that for one I settled for 28.8mm). My goal: To find one that turns my NailBender MC-E's bright but ugly beam into a thing of beauty. If I forget to report back in this thread, remind me in a PM.

Meanwhile, what about Malkoff's MC-E? Isn't it warm, and diffused through an optic?

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightlens.com has just shipped me two or three different diffuser lenses sized for a P60 (Surefire 6P/9P) head (28.6mm, though I think that for one I settled for 28.8mm). My goal: To find one that turns my NailBender MC-E's bright but ugly beam into a thing of beauty. If I forget to report back in this thread, remind me in a PM.

Meanwhile, what about Malkoff's MC-E? Isn't it warm, and diffused through an optic?
Great! Looking forward to seeing how this works out..

Yep, I mentioned the Malkoff MC-E, but it uses a 20 degree floody optic, which is a little more floody than I'm looking for. Also - no levels... I asked Gene about using a less floody optic, but he said it would creat too much of an ugly donut hole.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hole is more or less in most of the reflectors tried , Ive used 3 different ones to date , some more noticeable than others .

But its something you will only really notice when shinning your light on nice smooth walls , not really noticeable outdoors .

Good to know. Did one of them happen to be a Dereelight MC-E module? I am curious to know how those do. Although at only 2.1A I'm not sure they would come close to the output of my nailbender.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did consider the Malkoff dropin, but I'm not sure I want an already floody beam further diffused. I believe it is also only offered in single-mode, which is a downside for me.Thanks!

If you use a Malkoff host, you can use the Hi/Lo ring which allows a nice low level along with the normal high.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a Malkoff host, you can use the Hi/Lo ring which allows a nice low level along with the normal high.
Thanks, that is definitely a good option. But I have a host in mind for this drop-in already. It is a 1x18650 Leefbody w/ C2 head and Z58 tail. I do have one of the 2-stage conversion kits from the Sandwich Shoppe that I'm using on another C2 w/ an M30W - great combo BTW - the only downside is the 2-stage conversion switch is pretty hard to press.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the Nailbender P7 annd SST-50 drop-in and the SST-50 has the best beam. No donut or artifacts. It actually is nice cream white with perfect beam.

If you choose the SST-50 it would be best to go with the 2.5A mode version since your hosts is a 6P size.

I had a Malkoff P7 drop-in too, but the current was over 3A and the OTF numbers weren't what I expected.:mecry:

Edit: has anyone used any of those DX or KD 25~26mm optic drop-ins...I know they make them for the XR-E's, but it would be cool if someone found one for the MC-E...

best of luck,
bigC

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have a nailbender dropin, and it is bright.. but as he mentioned in his sales thread, it still has a slight donut hole.

I have Dereelight's MC-E P60 reflector in my CL1H v4 and it gives a beautiful smooth flood beam with no visible donut/dark spot/cross artifact. Check FlashlightConnection as they should be available.