E1L/KL1

crocodilo

Enlightened
First of all, yes, I did use the search function, but found lots of contradicting information on this subject.

I'm trying to identify an E1L/KL1 I've bought used from the 'bay.

Square beam, tightly focused, high dome optics, same head shape as KX1 only a little shorter. Brightness is a little under my KX1's high.

So, questions are, which LED, runtime (regulated, trailing), and RCR123 compatibility.

My research has led me to believe this is a Lux III, either 3rd or 4th generation KL1, but not certain of it, and this still leaves two questions unanswered.

Any help form the fellows? I love the E1L form factor, and single modes with decent runtimes are always a good thing to have.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, the Luxeon KL1 that preceded the KX1 had a very square beam. As you say, the unit itself is slightly shorter but the output is (at least to my eyes) just about the same as the KX1 on high.

Just as a point of interest, the E1L was never shipped with the old (ribbed/finned style) KL1s.

Regards,
Tempest

crocodilo

Enlightened
These are great news. The light is nothing remarkable by todays standards, but nevertheless seems to be a solid and very versatile (feeding-wise) module. The ability to run a single protected rechargeable in a Surefire is most welcome.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Doing a runtime right now on an AW RCR123. Geez, owning the flashlights I already own (see sigline) I really shouldn't be loving this cutie as much as I am...

crocodilo

Enlightened
KL1_AW.jpg

33 minutes. Not a marathoner, but these are guilt-free lumens, nice tint, tightly focused, on a very solid small package. Running down a primary should take a lot longer, and add a trail.