user-friendly 5w dropin (dcell maglite)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
this is something i've been wanting to do for a long time, but have been held up for various reasons. not the least of which attaining a 5w luxeon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
i was able to attain a v3u at a drop-dead killer price, so i got my chance to complete this projects that i've been putting off for weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fbcaeaee.jpg

here it is. the 5w drop-in module.
the led is refecessed in the metal heatsinking/base, for optimal focus, and to protect the led.
it's not very pretty and polished, becasue it's been in and out of the mag so many times.

fbcaeae4.jpg

here it is, nestled in my mag 2d. you can see the module is sticking up past the rim, holding it in perfect optical position, while allowing me somewhere to grab when i want to drop it in another light.
it's press fit pretty tight, so i don't need to use any thermal epoxies or anything. i could use some thermal goo, to aid in dissipation, but this already has amazing thermal properties, and goo is to messy for something you change alot.

fbcaeafb.jpg

here's a picture from the back. you can see the bulb base. i first drilled out a large hole, then i filled it with titanium epoxy, and redrilled for the wire. i ran the wire all the way through to the other side, to solder onto the luxon. then i soldered the "blob" for positive contact.
negative contact was achieved viea a small screw. i drilled a hole in the sink, and tapped it for a 4-40 screw. i wrapped the wire around the screw, and passed it through another hole to accomplish negative contact to the emitter.
you can see that blob of solder ont he left...i got a little carried away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

fbcaeaea.jpg

here you can see it from the top. sorry for the dark picture.
you can see where the screw is.

as with all of my heatsinks, it has a raised pedistal to go through the mag reflector, and a smaller centering-pedistal, to aid in centering the luxeon.

if i want long runtime, i get a 6d maglite, if i want easy carry, i use a 2d with 3 123's or 6aas, if i need something in between, i can drop it into a 4d with 5c's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the only real problem with this is that i have nothing to power it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
the only unmodded mag i've got is a 2d, and i have no 3-to-d's. (wayne...if you're reading this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif )
i know icebreak has some...maybe he would consider sending them my way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: user-freindly 5w dropin (dcell maglite)

Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
any chance of making LOTS of them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

well well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif a drop-in... literally. good jobby roth! PM sent!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nope....no chance at all shifty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Very nice work Roth.
Your sinks are always first class, and inovative.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i should probably add, that you do need to trim the mag reflector's tail off.

but other than that...it's perfectly brainless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike451

Newly Enlightened

Hey Roth,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Very nice work!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif One question about cutting the mag reflector. Do you cut it just below the metalization, or ...?? Also, what method do you use to make sure you don't do too much damage?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif TIA.

--Mike451

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yes, you cut it below the reflective surface. usually as close as you can get without getting any of the shiney part.

i do mine in the lathe, but you can also use a dremel and a cutting disc, you can use nippers to cut spirals up the base, you can use a hacksaw, you can use a knife...there are all kinds of ways to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use my plier and scissor to cut down the mag reflector. Through use, the base will smoothen itself out. Any kind of cutter can be used.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess so. The creator (rothrandir) like it directdrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a sharp razor blade would cut through that soft LD poly-ethelene/propolyne reflector.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
the led is refecessed in the metal heatsinking/base, for optimal focus, and to protect the led.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you've warmed up to the idea dropping the emitter down. The benefits from the increase in head stability and a (slightly) shorter light are worth it..

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've always liked having it down as far as possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

of course, the main reason was to allow a wide focal path... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

you had to resurrect a peacefully burried thread to ask what a v3u is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

v3u is the bin of the luxeon.
now luxeons are binned slightly differently, with 2 letters in the middle to designate color, but at the time of this mod, a single number was used.
v indicates a lumen output of 113.6 - 147.7 lumens
3 indicates a "white" color
u indicates a forward voltage of 6.87 - 7.83 volts.

Skulk

Newly Enlightened

ROFL! Sorry 'bout that...thanks for the insight though.