brightest & most versatile headlamp

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering a couple things about headlamps:

I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp with 1 white LED, 2 red LED's and an incandescent bulb. The white is the dimmest LED I own, the red are nice but not as usable as I'd like. The incandescent bulb is just pitiful.
mad.gif

What is the brightest headlamp anyone has used? I'd also like the option of using incandescent or LED's. Cost and links about where to purchase would be appreciated.
smile.gif

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
ChrisM,

Over in the Mod section of CPF we've been discussing the process of putting different LED's and a Luxeon Star into that same headlamp of yours...it makes a huge difference. Right now, there's a lul in the market for a combination incan/LED headlamp as you described. Princeton Tec has the Switchback, but it's one of the only viable options, and even then, I haven't bought one for myself just yet.

I absolutly LOVE the output of my Princeton Tec VorTec headlamp, but when I'm hiking, I usually opt for something more compact that weighs less...so it's not so practical for certain situations. If PT, or anyone else, came out with something like the VorTec, with a 3-position switch and the option of using LED/incan, without an external battery pack, I'd be in heaven. Everyone's got their own ideal of the "ideal" light, I'm sure...but that's what I'm wishing for someday.
smile.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that other post is mine as well. Just thought I'd start another one to see what else I might be missing out on!

One lamp I've had my eye on is the Streamlight Trident. Looks promising but I'm doubtful the icandescent will be much of anything as well...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend the SL Septor. Choice of 1,3, or 7 LED's. Very bright. Only $30. TX

jack32088

Newly Enlightened
One down side of the SL Septor is that the head can be tilted down, but not up, which could be a problem for certain activities, like crawling. For normal walking around, it is great.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
I thought the same thing...the 3-AAA battery set up seems alright for driving LED's, but for incan's, I'm usually left wanting more.
frown.gif

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
If only the NiteRider was switchable between the HID and a 5mm white LED for reading a map, or camp chores.
tongue.gif
If it ran off AA batteries, that would be an even better bonus.
smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp is very nice and versatile in mounting options. It cames with 2 0.7 amp krypton Flange bulbs and 2 heavy duty D cells. It uses a belt mounted battery pack that is well made, and has a faceted reflector, which makes for smooth spot. It is a focusing light. The cable can be wrapped around the pack, which is designed for this.

What I did, was get a couple Versalux PR-2 LED bulbs. One was for the Coleman. This was an experiment, due to the method of mounting the bulb in the Coleman's head. Some LED replacement bulbs aren't long enough in the base to make proper contact with the bottom of the socket. This is not the case with these bulbs.

The light is bright and WHITE, and focuses to the smooth spot. It is good enough that it became the primary bulb for this headlamp. It is brighter than the matrix module by far, and has better throw.

It is also a super bulb in the 2D Mag-Lite (nearly pinpoint focus and brighter than the coleman headlamp).

Walmart carries the headlamp for around $12 and www.techass.com has the Versalux bulb.

It is very servicable for me. If I would use an incandescant, It would be the KPR104 (K4) krypton to increase battery life. Coleman says 12 hours runtime with the included bulbs on alkaline D cells.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles-
Thanks! That sounds like a great alternative! Do you have to order the LED specifically for 2D's?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisM,

The Versalux PR-2 is for 3 volt operation, and happens to be best in 2D lights. Probably due to internal resistance of the batteries.

You might want to silicone the places where the wiring goes into both lamp and battery pack.

If you get it, do tighten the bolt on the lamp so it stays at the angle you want it. It was a bit loose on mine, and when I tilted it, the head drooped down like a wet noodle.
smile.gif