The Best Way To Clean A Car Cover?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
What's the best way to clean a car cover? I live in L.A., and the air is so full of pollutants (my poor lungs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif) that if I don't use my cover, in one day my car will be covered with dirt, leaves, sap, and bird droppings.

I've ruined two covers trying to clean them using my washing machine using the gentle cycle. The washing machine always manages to rip the fabric of the cover. I'm here to tell you that little rips turn into big rips really fast, and then it's time to buy a new car cover.

I'm lucky enough to have a darkroom in my house with a huge sink. Basically, I've been filling the sink with hot water and detergent and hang agitating the car cover. Powered detergents suck as a rule - for days after you washed the cover, there will be a ton of white powder sitting on top of your car after you cover it.

Using a liquid detergent in this manner helps, but I'm thinking there has to be another way. Oh yeah, I've just hosed down the cover while its still on the car, but that is really stupid because you basically end up with rivers of dirt/mud all over your car.

Anyone discover a better method?

Oh, and has anyone used one of those California Water Blades? The silicone blade that you are suppose to wipe the water off your car with instead of a chamois?

Bruise

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same as underware: just turn inside out and continue using.

Or you could try a large front-loading commercial washing machine at a laundry-mat. Just a suggestion, I've never tried to wash a car cover.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BruiseLee said:
What's the best way to clean a car cover? . . . Oh yeah, I've just hosed down the cover while its still on the car, but that is really stupid because you basically end up with rivers of dirt/mud all over your car.

Oh, and has anyone used one of those California Water Blades? The silicone blade that you are suppose to wipe the water off your car with instead of a chamois?

Bruise

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like if you washed the car cover with hose and soap while it's on the car, right before you were going to wash the car anyway, that would be a great way to get it done. Then hang it on some bushes or something to let it air dry before putting it back on the car?

And yes, I've used the California Water Blade for a couple years now. I think they're great. Saves a lot of time and does a better job than towels or a chamois. Especially on a van which has large window and body panel surfaces to dry. After a couple years of use, it has left no evidence scratching the car at all. They say it has less friction than any towel. I heartily recommend it.

Here's a hint -- you can use your finger or thumb to press down on the blade when wiping along a crease in the body surface and you'll get it to follow the contour (my van has a contoured edge along the top in the hood that the blade would pass over otherwise.)

I do still use a towel for "detail" drying places like the door jambs, wheels and wheel wells, and the like. And remember, just like drying with a towel or anything else, the car needs to be clean, meaning well washed, before you attempt to dry it, or you will leave scratches. I see people at the coin operated car wash drive a dirty car into
the stall, spray it down, and wipe it dry -- that's not washing a car!

I've also taken to using a California Water Blade inside the house to wipe down the shower, and of course when we wash windows.

Good luck!

Saaby

Flashaholic
How's the washing machine ripping it? I assume you wouldn't make the same mistake twice--but once when I was washing a fairly large article (A bed comforter) I didn't get it down in far enough so it caught on the lid durring the spin cycle...riiiiipp!

If it's got enough weight, couldn't you hose it off on the lawn? If you end up with rivers of mud and sap on your car, than what good is the cover when it rains? Sounds like it's time for a better car cover to me...