Questions on KL5 / KL6 ?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Now that the KL4 is out, we know what it is and have seen the beam shots. Pretty impressive overall.

What will the KL5 and KL6 be designed for?

Will they be any brighter?
Will either be designed for a tighter beam/better throw?
Which one will fit which body styles?

Al? Do you have Beta's of these? If so, are you permitted to talk about them? [Disguise them a X5B and X6B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif]?

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL5 is designed for the M2, C2, C3 sized lights. The KL6 is designed for the M3 and M6.
Id hazzard a guess and say they will throw further than the KL4 due to the deeper/wider reflectors. The larger mass of the KL5/6 could also conceivabley allow the LED to be driven harder (pure speculation on my part)

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he did have them he is not at liberty to discuss such. It would be cool to know though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I eagerly await the KL6/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif!!!!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josh,

I also eagerly await the KL6. I asked Al before about this question. My recollection is that he doesn't know how it will differ from the KL4 (other than its size and shape), but that he believes the extra size of the head will be used to increase throw more than to increase drive. I'm hoping he'll jump in and tell us if I interpreted his comment rightly.

Paul

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There must be a difference in the circuitry used- the KL4 seems to be boost only (as with 3 cells its in MBO mode) whereas the KL5 is designed for 2 and 3 cell lights so IMO it must be a buck/boost similar to the old KL1 circuit.

Klaus

Size15's

Flashaholic
If I do know, I wouldn't tell.
If I do have, I wouldn't tell.
Me not knowing could be just me saying that because I can't say I do know.

It is possible that a larger bezel with 2-3 SF123As in the body will allow the 5W Luxeon to be brighter and throw further.
Perhaps the KL6 can seriously replace the Z46H with MN11 as a viable CombatLight option.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Of course, I may also be typing complete bull and my possibles and perhaps are no better than those of the next person.

Al

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm beginning to think Al works for Military Intelligence. Just wait and see -- his response will be, "I can neither confirm nor deny that." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif