Anyone own the Nikon Coolpix 2500?

avusblue

Enlightened
I'm thinking of upgrading my camera. Currently I have a Kodak DC215 Millenium from 2000, it works great and is easy for me to use, but it doesn't do the greatest job on closeup (macro) pictures when you need a real good closeup of something small (like when you want to sell on ebay). Also, it chows AA batteries like they're cheetos.

I have looked at the Coolpix 2500 and I seem to like it . . . it's gotten a good review at dpreview.com, and the price is reasonable. I'm not crazy about the styling, but can live with it. So in true CPF fashion, before I buy I just would feel better hearing from youse guys about your opinions on this camera or one you think I should be considering instead.

Important to me:

Ease of use
Uses CompactFlash memory cards (I have several already)
Good at closeup / macro shots
Easy for kids to use also
Rechargeable battery w/ long life
Durable
$200ish price range

I've also given thought to instead getting a used Coolpix 950 off eBay. Comments on that idea?

Thanks for all relevent comments!

Dave

kubolaw

Enlightened
Hi Dave -

My first digicam was the DC215, and I really liked it, except, as you point out, for the astounding battery consumption and poor macro capabilities. However, the macro can actually be pretty cheaply improved by getting the accessory lens adapter and some macro lenses. The best place for the lens adapter I've found is here:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/tif-dc215ad.html

But if you're interested in upgrading (higher zoom, megapixels, battery life), the CP2500 is a good choice. My friend had that one and he liked it except for the lack of audio recording with video clips. The swiveling lens can be handy sometimes. The battery life was reasonably good, and Nikons always seem to have better than average macro capabilities. It felt a little "plastic-y" to me, but that may have nothing to do with durability - it seems solid enough. I'm just used to the metal casings of Canons.

He did just upgrade to a Canon Powershot S50 and really likes it - amazing picture quality and tons of manual controls, and he says that the autofocus system really does a good job. I may be selling off my Powershot S300 to upgrade to an S50 one of these days.

But then again, a compact camera (like the CP2500 or S300)is very convenient. Plus if you're letting your kids take pictures, the lack of excess controls is actually a benefit.

The CP950 is an excellent camera also - but once again, you're trading increased functionality and image quality for compactness.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, though.

John

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Dave, I can't give personal experience for the 2500. On paper it looks good, but the 2Megapixel CCD is a little skimpy for my preference. I am an owner of a CoolPix 995 and in general I like Nikon cameras. I think they have superior lenses for the price of the camera. You would be surprised how handy that twisting lens feature really is. For ease of use, the 900 series cameras are very full-featured and some study of the manual is recommended even in full auto mode. A 950 might seem a little overwhelming for family members to pick up and use.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Coolpix 2500. I thought it would be a decent snapshot camera. In reality the lack of viewfinder (LCD only) and swivelling was a gimick that I tired of quickly. It does work well and focuses close. Flash is a joke. I would hold out and shell out the extra for the 3500 which is the same wolf in 3MP sheepskin. I got decent battery life as I do not use the flashes on these small cameras all that much.

The difference between 2 and 3 megapixels is astounding. Between 3, 4 and 5 I have not noticed as dramatic enhancement. I currently carry either a Canon Elph digital in 3 MP or a Casio in 4 for my pocket camera. In extreme enlargements I can not discern much difference.

avusblue

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to sit tight for now and buy nothing while I think it thru more. Please keep chimin' in as you see fit. What other cameras should I be considering and why? Thanks!!

Dave

jtice

Flashaholic
Any of the Canon A series cams are EXCELLENT for the $$$.
I have a A10. ( the lowest model) is been great, and has seen very harsh conditions.
The new A70 has came out. Its $299. And a power packed, feature packed excellent cam. All the A series cams run off AA batts!!!! I DO NOT recommend getting any cam with a power pack. You can find AA's anywhere in a tight spot. I use rechargables with mine.
The A10 I have, you should be able to find it for about ... $170?

[EDIT] Oh, check out my Instant Logic account in my sig line, for pics taken with the A10.