need advice plz - AA, neutral or warm white, low low, under $50

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
hey guys,

i'm newbie here, but have been doing lots of reading and searching..

i'm looking for a AA light, with a low-low setting, and a neutral to warm white color, for under $50.

do any of the quarks have a neutral or warm white color?

any other suggestions?

i appreciate it... :crazy:

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
4 7s is doing a special run of the quark mini. See the Marketplace thread here. It is in pre-order right now. I have the 123 on order, but people are really liking the AA regular version, too.

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
i should probably mention that i guess i'm looking for a light with bright full spill, but with a center hotspot that still has some decent throw.

i need some versitility.. it'll see most of its use outdoors, but also in the country where there's thick wooded areas.

does that quark mini neutral white fit the bill?

what about the Maratac ?

Haz

Enlightened
The Quark mini neutral should fit the bill, however due to the reflector size, throw may not be as far as one with a bigger reflector and head. It should provide one of your objective of having a bright full spill.

4Sevens did have a limited run Quark AA, which has a lower low compared to the mini, i think the lower low, or moon-mode of the Quarks are very useful.

The choice you have made to use a neutral or warm white is a good choice esp for the woods

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately all the Quarks appear to be above your budget of $50 and sadly the neutral whites all seem to be out of stock.

The Fenix TK20 i own was bought at just below your budget @ $48.90 and though its low isnt as low as i'd like, its a decent TOUGH light that i'd have no hesitation trusting not to fail outdoors.

vali

Enlightened
I have a 2xAA Quark with a warm emitter. The low is just perfect for night adapted eyes and short range.

The bad news are they were a limited run, not available right now.

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
so is the low on the mini gonna ruin my night vision?

i'm trying to decide between the AA mini or the Maratac AA.

the mini has a bigger hotspot and fill, but the maratac has a lower low and more focused hotspot with less spill(more throw?).

edit* i have decided that i probably need 2 lights... a very small light to carry on me at all times, and a larger and more powerful light for when i'm outside, or in the woods coon hunting, ect.
i think that the more i read here, the confused i'm getting lol

that tk20 looks impressive with it's 100 yard throw. ..or is this typical for 2xAA lights in this price range?
how far do the single AA lights throw in comparison?

decisions, decision.. man, this is complicated!

Last edited: