Final mini review of LEO SF E2DL w/pic

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Table of Contents:

1. LEO use of E2DL
2. LX2 impractical for patrol LEO use
3. Pic of duty belt with E2DL and other lights.

1. LEO use of E2DL.
First use: Disassembled the duty belt to slide the SafariLand basket weave small light holster on the belt to use my Surefire E2DL for a 6p - 3a shift. Slid the light on to it's holster next to a Pelican 7060 that is on temporary duty while my Polystinger is being fixed under warranty by Streamlight (turns out I like the 7060 better than the Polystinger, but that's another matter). Also I really like the size of the E2DL.

After eleven or twelve vehicle stops, along with three hours at a vehicle checkpoint with state and local officers, and some other stuff, I found the E2DL the best light I have used on duty period. About midnight the lower forty degree weather turned to rain for the rest of the shift. Great not worrying about the light getting too wet (I had a Stinger fog at the lens after a heavy rain once). The broader beam was great for illuminating vehicle interiors, did superior illuminating a back yard looking for a motorcycle.

The UI was perfect for this kind of work. Click, and you're at 200 lumens. Click down, and I could use the lower beam to check that a driver was wearing contacts when their license called for corrective lenses without driver discomfort; or use the low beam while filling out a vehicle inventory as part of impounding a van. The high is almost too bright for a field sobriety test, but works fine if you're mindful not to tan the subject with the center of the beam at the face. Great that you don't have to click through low beam every time for bright. I'll also mention that the LX2's UI was completely unacceptable for these applications (details in 2), but I carry the LX2 in plain clothes. Tactically if needed, you still have the temporary beam with the E2DL.

Wore skiing gloves while outside on a U.S. highway during cold weather, E2DL, light was manipulated easily with the thick gloves.

Downside: A $21 box of batteries every six shifts if you change batteries each shift. Full time that can approach eighty dollars a month if you work nights unless your agency has the 123's. For a day shifter occasionally using a light, this is their light. A fresh pair of batteries did last the whole shift last night. BTW: Surefire states using their batteries or a handful of other approved brands is mandatory or your warranty is void. Have since found a supplier of Surefire batteries that gives a 15% discount on batteries, got 20% on my second E2DL.

And, finally, except in very limited circumstances, you'd get written up or worse using the E2DL as a defensive weapon.

Anyway, except for the battery considerations, perfect

2. LX2 Impractical for LEO use
I would not recommend the LX2 if you do traffic stops because of the user interface. It takes significant pressure it takes to keep the LX2 on high - if your thumb lets up even ever so slightly the LX2 drops down to 25 lumens until you're squeezing the crap out of it again to get it back up to 200 - hardly practical during a traffic stop. You shouldn't be paying that much attention to your light in a safety situation, tactical or otherwise.

Some will point out that besides the momentary button in the rear, the LX2 also stays on by twisting the back - but this is very impractical for LE because the throw of the twist is WAY too long, almost 340 degrees of twisting to get from low to high beam making it a dangerous two-handed process or tricky and lengthy one-handed process in which the clip still gets in the way in either one. Just a quick click with the E2DL, and the E2DL is a decent little weapon, and Safariland makes a duty-belt holster for the E2DL pictured below.

3. Picture - annotation below the picture:

You can see the Surefire E2DL Defender in it's duty belt carrier next to a Pelican 7060. In the 5.11 duty bag is the Pelican 8060 (out of bag and partially pictured - I thought I would use the 8060 at vehicle checkpoints or working races, but really haven't.), also pictured is a spare E2DL that lives in the duty bag, and an LX2 that was my first Surefire, but wish now I had not bought. The bag has a whole bunch of other crap of course.

The pictured shotgun is the venerable Remington 870 Police Magnum with rifle sites.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always great to see LEO's keeping up with the latest lights its not always the case unfortunately, seems like in your case your even becoming a flashaholic.

And as great a light as it is I can not see the LX2 being used as a main duty light. I have found it most useful carried in my jacket with a light on my hip with a clicky and pull the LX2 out only when I need a momentary burst. Stay safe dwever.

Last edited:

dwever

Newly Enlightened
I don't consider myself a flash-a-holic: Light History

JHC: Well given the number of lights other guys own, I don't consider myself a flash-a-holic. I have only purchased for duty. I am done unless and until technology changes.

This time two years ago I owned two total lights, a primary and a back-up. upgraded to a 90 lumen aluminum Stinger because it was LED. Then later I purchased a Pelican 7060 because of the LAPD endorsement and the big 165 lumens. Bought the big Pelican 8060 last Spring to work a five-day race detail. The Stinger started fogging at the lens, so it was replaced with a 185 polystinger which is already getting warranty work getting a defective rubber seal over the clicker replaced.

By chance I saw the 200 lumen LX2 at the store in front of a public firing range. I saw the lumens, size, and fact that it was WATER PROOF and bought it on the spot for $169, didn't work out on patrol due to UI but was great working two wrecks in the rain. Zeroed in on an E2DL for $127, worked perfect on duty: water-proof, great UI, size, bright and wide! Bought a second for my Army son for $129.50 (also red lens and laniard), and bought yet another E2DL as a back-up for $104 from a duty store because at that price I didn't mind dropping a spare in my duty bag.

In figuring out the right lights for work it took some zeroing in. At the end of the process now I really wish I didn't have the Streamlight Polystinger, the Pelican 8060 (great light I just never use it, and it can interfere with radios), and the LX2, but it was unfortunately a purchasing process figuring out the right lights for me. But now I'm done. I'm glad we're told what pistol to use, a Glock 22, so I'm not down a few thousand dollars zeroing in on the perfect 1911 .45.

The PERFECT duty light? A two-minute fast-RECHARGEABLE E2DL 200/25 lumens with capacitors instead of batteries - maybe 2012. While too big and heavy, 5.11 already makes a battery-less duty light that fully charges in 2 MINUTES, runs at 270 LUMENS for 85 minutes, is an LED and can be recharged 500,000 times
with no batteries! Too big

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
Nice to see a practical use review from someone a LEO. Thanx for what you do and feel free to write more reviews anytime.

I also agree with your opinion of the LX2. It truly is a "civilian" light. I use one walking almost every night and it is perfect for that task.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Saw another LEO using an E2DL, loves it, I saw him Saturday during a 9p - 5a. He stepped up from an issued 90 lumen Streamlight Stinger.

I'm still discouraged by changing batteries every stinking shift, but found out our agency will stock the batteries if requisitioned.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not a LEO, I am a 25 year Paramedic (and a Tactical Medic since 1991) I find it interesting that you don't like the SF L2 UI, as that is exactly the reason FOR the SF L2.

The E2DL UI is the LAST type I would use in a tactical situation, or while using w/ my firearm. The idea, as I was taught it, is quick use of light, move; quick use of light, move; etc..

The E2DL does not allow this, at the same output each time, such as the L2 does perfectly. In a stress situation the "hard" squeeze to high is natural. In a non-stress situation, use the twist.

The E2DL may work fine for EDC, but as a tactical light, not for me. But perhaps I misunderstood.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
The E2DL UI is the LAST type I would use in a tactical situation, or while using w/ my firearm.

You are correct that in a "tactical situation" momentary button is desired. The tactical situation which you describe is one which gun is drawn such as in a building clearing, or an active shooter situation. However 99% of the time that a patrol officer is using his flashlight, it's under circumstances which dwever has describe. Take for instance a traffic stop, in which from beginning to end your light is virtually constantly on. Upon approaching the vehicle, you want maximum amount of light illuminating the vehicle so the situation can be fully accessed and monitored. As you obtain the driver's documents the 200 lumens will be too bright to try to read the information and you'd be blinding your self. Your light will remain on thought the rest of the ordeal whether its writing out the citation or looking for the horizontal gaze nystagmus in the drivers eyes in the field sobriety test. During a traffic The E2DL (or E1B) provides a very quick and smooth transition from a constant high to constant low as needed. The LX2 not so much. I myself have no experience with the LX2 but I can imagine the difficulties. You hand will quickly become fatigued when holding the momentary button down for extended periods of time. It is hard enough trying to twist to a constant on when using a g2 or 6p, but add to that a low mode that you have to twist through (340 degrees according to dwever), and a the clip that seems to limit the amount of rotation in a single movement.

Every situation an LEO is in has to be approached tactically to some level. It is not tactical to be more focused on the light you are fumbling with than your situational awareness.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
First of all, thanks to the OP and contributing posters for sharing their valuable experiences and opinions. I am not a LEO, but I have used lights with both types of UIs under discussion and I understand the valid points being presented here. I too have eschewed the LX2 interface in favor of the E2DL interface for similar reasons, though thankfully my life nor that of anyone else's depended upon it.

I want to second the suggestion by BVH to consider using AW LiFePO4 rechargeable cells in the E2DL. Of course, they will have less runtime than primary CR123 cells, so you will want to keep a pair of primaries on hand as a backup. Most days, I bet you will not need to switch over to the primary cells though and you will save a lot of money.

Thank you for your service and stay safe. :)

Hef

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a LX2 and love it except for the switch, I want a clickie on that light! I would have bought the E2DL, but do not like the sharp head and tail.

A perfect light for me would be a LX2 with the same switch as the E2DL or E1B.

gilly

Enlightened
DeputyT is right on - as a LEO you are using the light in a 'constant on' mode quite often. The hard press for high in the LX2 is NOT practical in this regard. Even in a room clearing scenario, you will invariably need to go to a constant on setting once the structure is clear and you are conducting a secondary search. I'm sure the LX2 is a wonderful light - but not ideal for a 'patrol officer'. Years ago I used a Surefire 6P as a backup to my Magcharger. Even then the need to constantly press the tailcap to activate the light was a pain. Twisting for constant on wasn't always practical one-handed when weather was cold, raining, etc. I have an E2DL and find it a great light - but too small for my hand for patrol purposes. I have a Jetbeam M1X with the battery extension tube. Can easily tuck it under the armpit while using both hands for another task (looking at licenses/registrations etc.) For me, the E2DL is too small for this technique but good as a backup light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see these real life "tests"/reviews...instead of these garage one's...good job! Stay Safe out there...nice 870, BTW :twothumbs

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm glad I never bought an LX2. I'm happy with my 6P w/ Nailbender XPG.

Because of the Nano-Oil it's very very easy to twist into constant with my thumb. I've got it twisted a quarter of an inch from fully tight so it doesn't take but a slight press or a slight twist.

I didn't know the LX2 required such a drastic twist. If I couldn't do my 6P one handed, so easily, I wouldn't have ever wanted it.

My single-mode E2DL is pretty nice also :)

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I recently bought a LX2 and love it except for the switch, I want a clickie on that light! I would have bought the E2DL, but do not like the sharp head and tail.

A perfect light for me would be a LX2 with the same switch as the E2DL or E1B.

You could have member M I K de-tooth an E2DL. He will do the head and tail for $20. You could also just have the head done and replace the switch with a toothless version. If this were done to the newest version of the E2DL then there would be no difference in maximum output on paper.

Last edited:

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Why the UI on the E2DL is superior to LX2 for general LE apps

RWT 1405 and others: Good observations. Let me clarify.

I have both the E2DL and the LX2, used both on patrol but the LX2 only once because it didn't get the job done. I do carry the LX2 most every day EXCEPT ON DUTY.

Notice RWT I stated regarding the E2DL, "for standard LE work" in the first post above; having said that, being prior military, and having subsequently been through LE Close Quarter Battle School, I would still choose the E2DL over the LX2 for tactical situations. Major reasons I use the E2DL over the LX2 on duty:

1. The LX2 takes excessive pressure to keep it on high for the extended periods necessary in a traffic stop or other situations - if your thumb lets up even ever so slightly the LX2 drops down to 25 lumens until you're squeezing the crap out of it again to get it back up to 200 - hardly practical during a traffic stop. You should not be paying that much attention to your light in a safety situation where you're already multi-tasking (talking to the driver, watching other occupants, keeping an eye on surrounding traffic, looking for signs of alcohol, etc. etc.), tactical or otherwise.

2. By comparison, the E2DL takes very little pressure for temporary on, and with one click for high beam you're on, making it a clear choice for standard LE work. Because the UI is very simple, I never accidentally drop down to low beam with the E2DL, and that is not a problem for the one guy I've seen with an E2DL in our agency.

3. Some will point out that with the LX2, besides the momentary button in the rear, the LX2 also stays on by twisting the back. This is another deal killer for LE practice of needing the light on for extended periods as noted by Deputy T. below. The LX2 UI is very impractical in LE application because the turn of the twist is WAY too long, to get from low to high beam, almost 340 degrees of twisting! To get from low to high beam becomes a dangerous two-handed process or tricky and lengthy one-handed process; put on gloves and it's more complicated; put on cold weather gloves good luck. And, the clip still gets in the way in either one.

4. THE LX2 IS A GREAT LIGHT! For general carry and for hiking I take the LX2. With the LX2 your not dropping a porcupine in your pocket, and the low beam is very adequate in the dark at night if you're walking around, the low beam on the E2DL is perhaps just a bit too dim for that. I also use my LX2 for general carry. If you're going to general carry the E2DL you almost certainly want a light holster or you're going to feel the edges in your pocket (don't get the Surefire holster, it is inadequate). I recommend one made by Safariland.

As an aside, my son is Army and does military field competition, and he has an E2DL Defender with a laniard and a couple of red lenses. He also passed on the LX2.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks dwever, and no offense was meant. Your review was excellent! Stay safe and I wish you & yours a Very Happy New Year!

And to all the great people here at CPF, Happy New Year!

My .02 FWIW YMMV

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I have been out of LE for more than five years now, and I am enthralled with the level of lighting technology that has become available over the past few years. Not so long ago, a M@gCh@rger or an SL-20 was the state of the art. If you had a Stinger, you were on the cutting edge. It's amazing that such a tiny light as the LX2 can put out so mouch more light than the boat anchor that used to bang me in the leg with every step. This leap forward in technology has turned me in to a flashaholic.

Sooo....

I rushed out and bought an LX2 shortly after they came out. It's a great light. However I sold it to a buddy after a short time because I didn't care for the UI at all.

I had intended to use the LX2 on duty (armed security, day shift), but the momentary two-stage switch was just too stiff and awkward for me. I have a Stinger and a Pelican 7060, but I don't use either one at work because of their size. Instead, I have been using a G2Z/M60 for quite a while.

After reading the OPs comments about the E2DL, I may have to consider buying one. I guess my only concerns are the clip getting in my way, and the lack of the rubber ring for light-assisted shooting. I can't use a weaponlight, and most of the other light-assisted shooting techniques are uncomfortable or impractical for me.

So, questions for DWEVER (or anyone else):

* What kind of grip/technique would you use with the E2DL while shooting?

* What kind of holster did you use for the E2DL?

* How much does the tailcap interfere with turning the light on in a hurry?

Thanks!

-- Frank

dwever

Newly Enlightened
* What kind of grip/technique would you use with the E2DL while shooting?
Cup and saucer just like I would with the Pelican - That's the one from the 70's where one hand grips the gun and rests in the upturned support hand, like a cup in a saucer. While that technique is thankfully long gone as a general gripping technique, with a light it has become re-popularized, holding the light in your upturned support hand. We were taught three techniques with lights, and I like that one best.

* What kind of holster did you use for the E2DL?
SafariLand carrier - made specifically for your duty-belt. The part number is either 306-2-4 or 308-2-4, can't tell, for belt loops up to 2-1/4".- called a "Mini Flashlight Carrier." I believe it was originally produced for a Streamlight Scorpion. Anyway that carrier is the one in the picture in this thread. Works perfectly with a E2DL. Suggested retail is $30, but you can order for $less.

* How much does the tailcap interfere with turning the light on in a hurry? Not sure of the question, but there has been no interference with getting the light on.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
From Another Thread: Patrolman 7

Last night was my first chance to use the E2DL which I purchased last Saturday. My fellow officers and I were checking a heavily wooded area for a subject wanted for A and B on an officer by means of a motor vehicle. The E2DL was everything I could have expected for surefire based on reviews I have read. It light up ravines and brush and I was safely able to illuminate the drainage tunnels under the road without having to walk through them. I was a little hesitant at first because they use lithium batteries but they worked flawlessly last night after about an hour in the bone chilling 8 degree weather we had in town last night, the battery on my T-4 totally stopped working but the surefire lithiums kept going, guess it is true what they say about the temperature extremes that they work in. I highly recommend this light, I have a feeling the E2DL will most likely replace my T4 which has been on my duty rig since 2007.