Best thrower for $120?.

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
What light has the best throw for around $120?.
Im not bothered about to much by size or batterys.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
As long as you can get 15-20% off, which is fairly easy, a 200 lumen Surefire E2DL Defender. For a 185 lumen rechargeable with both ac and car charger, try the 185 lumen Streamlight polystinger.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Dereelight DBS V3 R2 with the smooth reflector.:thumbsup:

Not really sure if it throws the farthest but it does go a loooong way.

TriChrome

Enlightened
The Jetbeam RRT-1 seems to fit the bill very nicely. I'm not a fan of the 6P-ish size reflector Surefire lights. Seems to be more of a flood to me (although I will admit I've never owned the exact e2dl model mentioned)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
At modamags meet I had a chance to compare a LOT of different lights....

dscn2230.jpg

dscn2228t.jpg

dscn2227.jpg

Part of the evening was spent lighting up trees at 200+ yards away with various lights, both incan and LED.

The LED winners were:
Tiablo A10 if you want a traditional reflector design.
Dereelight DBS with the Aspheric lens if you are wanting a pure spot beam thrower.

Between these two, the DBS/aspheric combo won hands down for pure throw distance, its an amazing thrower. Actually, its really more of a one trick pony, lighting anything within ~50 feet or at least trying to is nearly impossible unless you hit your target spot on. I can't imagine using it within 50 feet in complete darkness, you'll need at least some ambient light to track your target and set aim. Another member and I were commenting on this light... "This is the coolest thing I would have absolutely no use for."...LOL

Link here

FWIW, none of the MCE/P7 designs, (despite the massive Lumen output) were not even close to the tightest throwing XR-E lights. Throw distance on these lumen-flood beasts was barely half the distance of either the A10 or DBS-aspheric.

But both of these lights are amazing though, and will go toe to toe with all but the very best DIY throw designs.

**EDIT**
But if you are not worried about size, battery type and dont mind a non-LED solution, you should be looking at HID and halogen spotlights. For throw distance, Either halogen or HID in a large dish reflector design will blow away any comparably priced LED flashlight.

Last edited:

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
What about the Romisen RC-t7 or solarforce masterpiece?.

nutzz

Newly Enlightened
At modamags meet I had a chance to compare a LOT of different lights....

dscn2230.jpg

dscn2228t.jpg

dscn2227.jpg

Part of the evening was spent lighting up trees at 200+ yards away with various lights, both incan and LED.

The LED winners were:
Tiablo A10 if you want a traditional reflector design.
Dereelight DBS with the Aspheric lens if you are wanting a pure spot beam thrower.

Between these two, the DBS/aspheric combo won hands down for pure throw distance, its an amazing thrower. Actually, its really more of a one trick pony, lighting anything within ~50 feet or at least trying to is nearly impossible unless you hit your target spot on. I can't imagine using it within 50 feet in complete darkness, you'll need at least some ambient light to track your target and set aim. Another member and I were commenting on this light... "This is the coolest thing I would have absolutely no use for."...LOL

Link here

FWIW, none of the MCE/P7 designs, (despite the massive Lumen output) were even close to the tightest throwing XR-E lights. Throw distance on these lumen-flood beasts was barely half the distance of either the A10 or DBS-aspheric.

But both of these lights are amazing though, and will go toe to toe with all but the very best DIY throw designs.

**EDIT**
But if you are not worried about size, battery type and dont mind a non-LED solution, you should be looking at HID and halogen spotlights. For throw distance, Either halogen or HID in a large dish reflector design will blow away any comparably priced LED flashlight.
Thanks for the info.
Im surprised by that.Do you use a Tiablo Ace-G MCE that day?.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info.
Im surprised by that.Do you use a Tiablo Ace-G MCE that day?.

Yeah I was surprised too. The DBS-aspheric did some serious battle with some "mid-level" hot rod mags with 5-mega throwmaster reflectors. Just slightly out throwing the weaker mag contenders. That was a real shocker, it was the only non-DIY LED light that could hang with the deep dish mag incans.

I dont think there was an ACE-G MCE there. But with a quad-die I would not expect it to out throw either the A10 or DBS-aspheric.

Last edited:

Arnulf

Enlightened
I just bought a JetBeam M1X 700 Lumens off Ebay for $125 shipped.....Stupid usps sent it to the wrong place so I will not get it until after Christmas....unless they send it to the wrong place again.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I'm surprised to hear that a DBS with a smooth reflector was outthrown by the Tiablo A10. I keep three DBS's around: One with an op reflector and an MC-E pill, another with a three stage R2 pill and a smooth reflector, and another with a one stage R2 pill and an aspheric. I totally agree that the aspheric is a one trick pony, but as you can see, the DBS isn't, at least not in my household! :thumbsup:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if the A10 has the single mode tailcap, 45000+lux @1m. The A10's reflector has about 40% more reflective surface area than the DBS' reflector too.

I'm surprised to hear that a DBS with a smooth reflector was outthrown by the Tiablo A10. I keep three DBS's around: One with an op reflector and an MC-E pill, another with a three stage R2 pill and a smooth reflector, and another with a one stage R2 pill and an aspheric. I totally agree that the aspheric is a one trick pony, but as you can see, the DBS isn't, at least not in my household! :thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Only if the A10 has the single mode tailcap, 45000+lux @1m. The A10's reflector has about 40% more reflective surface area than the DBS' reflector too.

The A10 at the meet did have a single mode tailcap. Of all the XR-E lights there, it had the largest/deepest/smoothest reflector. These optics combine with the unmatched die surface brightness of the high flux XR-E for a great thrower... the reflector dish non-DIY champ that night.

paulsl

Enlightened
Kramer, very interesting info. Thanks. Was the Tiablo A10's beam narrower than the DBS's with a smooth reflector and was the spill noticeably less? I am intrigued as a DBS 2 R2 owner.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is about the same as both light's beams are about 30,000lux@1m on high... HOWEVER the M1X puts out about TWICE the lumens of the A10. Which means despite it lacking the mirror smooth reflector of the A10, it's MC-E makes up for in raw brute output!

How does the m1x rate against the Tiablo fpr thow?.

Latest posts